Chat Help Settings Subscription Blog Banned Users Search

Advertisement

Go Back   Houston-Imports.com > Off-Topic > Ramblings > The Classroom

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
Flores
The Stig's Mexican Cousin

Car: 2004 Mazda Roadster Turbo
Send a message via MSN to Flores Send a message via Yahoo to Flores
creating a social revolution with schools...

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...iculum-system/

Quote:
Bowen, who is currently forced to use CSCOPE in her school district, feels that schools are now more like factories that send children out into the real world from an assembly-line that has not even given them the basics. She spoke to Beck despite the fact that CSCOPE had set up disciplinary consequences for doing so.

Bowen said that the lessons were mediocre at best, often “riddled with errors” and that “tests were invalid.”

“There’s tremendous coercion. It’s an incredibly oppressive environment.” She added that there have been teachers who were fired for speaking out to the school board.

"There are five boxes to use in the defense of Liberty: The Soap Box, the Mail Box, the Ballot Box, the Jury Box, and the Ammunition Box. Please use them in that order."
Flores is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 03-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
heyitsryan
The answer is miata

Car: Mazda
What do you expect with standardized testing being the main teaching point instead of lessons?

The TAKS test is not real life, sprnding your entire secondary academic career studying to pass a single test really doesn't help you get anywhere beyond the information on that test.

I'm not sure if you're the one that posted the pic on FB, but I recently saw a pic about standardized testing that had a bunch of different animals all lined up ( elephant, rhino, monkey, lion, tiger, etc) and the test being to see who can climb a tree. I thought it was a great political cartoon regarding that.

Found it:
heyitsryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:59 PM   #3
tenguin
Playoffs baby!

Car: yoda tundra
just watched detachment with adrien brody. this was parts of the movie.
tenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #4
raemi
Now in HD!!!!

Car:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Chronicle

History and economics: Don’t spend $800 million on flawed history books

Don’t spend $800 million on flawed history books
HOUSTON CHRONICLE | April 30, 2010

How bad is the new history curriculum now under consideration by the Texas State Board of Education?

It's so bad that Jon Stewart made fun of it on TV. He played footage of the board voting to remove Oscar Romero from a list of great political and moral figures of the 20th century — because one board member said she'd never heard of the archbishop assassinated by an El Salvador death squad. “That,” cracked Stewart, “is how Oscar Romero got disappeared by right-wingers for the second time!”

The proposed curriculum is so bad that it would strike Thomas Jefferson from a list of Enlightenment thinkers who influenced the world. So bad that it plays down the civil rights and women's rights movements — in a state where minorities and women easily form a majority.

It's so bad that to date, more than 1,200 historians and professors have signed a letter complaining that the revisions “undermined the study of the social sciences in our public schools by misrepresenting and even distorting the historical record and the functioning of American society.”

But you know what? There's something even worse than that curriculum. And that's the multi-billion-dollar budget shortfall facing Texas.

So we think it makes sense for the Legislature to put off buying $800 million in history books based on that curriculum. “There's no rush necessary,” argues Rep. Trey Martinez Fischer, D-San Antonio. “We have plenty of time to do it right.”

Source: http://www.chron.com/opinion/editori...on-1702592.php
raemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
profuse007
n00bz

Car: Big Rig
Anybody figure out why our education is believed to have gone downhill?
profuse007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:26 PM   #6
Dopavash
Don't FAL me, Bro.

Car: BubbleGum Pink s2k
Send a message via AIM to Dopavash
Quote:
Originally Posted by profuse007 View Post
Do you believe it hasn't?
Dopavash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #7
mekrew
huh

Car:
Send a message via AIM to mekrew
I am sure about half the kids that come out of h.s. dont have much knowledge about the way the real world works. Its either trial by error or asking there parents. So what is school supposed to teach them , how to study for a test ?
mekrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:25 AM   #8
profuse007
n00bz

It's a big system in our State and it's hard to say why. It could be parents are too lazy to guide their child and let them figure out school themselves when they're in K-5 school, where it's needed most. That's why it's called homework, it's not for the child to figure out themselves all the time.

The first paragraph stated "American exceptionalism", and great Americans were built around this ideology - you, me, ppl around you, your folks, political leaders, etc... I believe that's where our culprit is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopavash View Post
Do you believe it hasn't?
Old 03-15-2013, 08:50 AM   #9
VashThaStampede
SubAquaBeer.TroyStyle!

Car: B5 A4 1.8TQ
Send a message via AIM to VashThaStampede Send a message via MSN to VashThaStampede
as long as the schools dumb down curriculum for the stupid kids..this will continue. test them on the first day of school and put the achievers in their own classes, then teach the rest to dig ditches,flip burgers, or how to be democratic politicians
VashThaStampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #10
ETB4U
O_o™

Car: 08 cop car w/ fake VTAK
Send a message via AIM to ETB4U
I agree with Profuses and vash's reasons. It also doesn't help schools having a student graduating quota. As with any quota, rules will be bent to meet it.
ETB4U is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:37 AM   #11
raemi
Now in HD!!!!

Car:
raemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #12
profuse007
n00bz

That means we should ahve different level of curriculum - one for remedial kids and one for competitive kids?

Current:
  1. Handicap
  2. Common Students

Proposed:
  1. Handicap
  2. Remedial Students
  3. Competitive Students

Education will be divided and Brack Obama will never approve of this and Malcom X will crawl out of his grave!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VashThaStampede View Post
as long as the schools dumb down curriculum for the stupid kids..this will continue. test them on the first day of school and put the achievers in their own classes, then teach the rest to dig ditches,flip burgers, or how to be democratic politicians
Old 03-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #13
Flores

Quote:
consider a few things...

1) There is more to learn/more to teach
The subjects being offered in public schools have expanded a great deal in the past 30-40 years.

part of this reflects the communities changing needs/technological expansion/scientific changes in facts, but some of it also reflects the need of any large bureaucracy to continue to grow, unless constrained.

2) statistics gathering for 'quality' is focused on test results (traditionally, testing reflected student comprehension of a given subject), which we are discovering, suck as a detailed indicator of subject matter mastery. Practical exams, which take a great deal more time, and are subject to the judgment of the instructor, are much better at determining if someone is competent, vs the 'pick a-d on the scan-tron form' system, which testing has devolved into.

3) broken source data = broken results.
I deal with this on a daily basis. The equipment I analyze for people has a avg CPU busy meter... but since it's a multiprocessor system, but not a Symmetrical processing OS, avg cpu busy doesn't mean what it means on say, a windows or unix machine. Because CPU load on my system can be at 99% and the system can still handle another 20% more load before you max the avg cpu on an core system... the source data is broken here, because it's confused with an identically named metric, on a system that does things completely differently!

in education, the underlying curriculums have become polluted by the influence of the money being injected into the schools by the federal government. In an effort to 'maintain quality', government has lowered standards, in order to prove their help is needed even more than most people think!

When I was in school, 'Johnny can't read!' graduating high school was an annoying, minor problem. "Becky is pregnant" was not something that happened often, but then it was deemed required that we start teaching kids more and more about sex, provide them condoms, and do stuff to 'keep them safe, since they will do it anyway'...

now, johnny not being able to read is a minor issue in schools. Things like 'day care for kids' in a high school are big deals. "Becky needs day care" now! How the fuck did we go from worrying about if kids can read, write and do math, to the quality of day care for the student's infants?

By continuing to lower expectations, by attempting not to pass judgment on people's 'life choices', and by standing by watching people ruin themselves, while we munch popcorn, like it's just another reality show, we have all created the environment that is the public school system.

for everything wrong about it, though, there are many things right. But I don't know how much longer it will last. Quality people only put up with BS for so long before they say 'fuq it'.

And if government's mindset on funding health care is any indication, I can easily see a day in the next 20 years or so, when non-public education is simply no longer an option. (competition from private schools = wealthy people taking 'unfair advantage' of their public school competition)
Old 03-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #14
TXBlackout03
becoming a regular here!

Car: '04 Pontiac GTO
No Child Left Behind ruined the country. It's as simple as that.

I'm glad I graduated High School before that shit became fully implemented.
TXBlackout03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #15
danny
becoming a regular here!

Car: '11 TSX, '12 4Runner
welcome to the real world. the world is not fixed to prevent the strong from winning, but the weak from losing. the ceiling and standards are set low to keep pushing people out of hs.
danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:52 PM   #16
Dopavash
Don't FAL me, Bro.

Car: BubbleGum Pink s2k
Send a message via AIM to Dopavash
Quote:
That means we should ahve different level of curriculum - one for remedial kids and one for competitive kids?

Current:
  1. Handicap
  2. Common Students

Proposed:
  1. Handicap
  2. Remedial Students
  3. Competitive Students

Education will be divided and Brack Obama will never approve of this and Malcom X will crawl out of his grave!!!
The schools I went to had this already (I graduated in 2004). They called it GT or Gifted and Talented. It went through a few evolutions and I'm sure they call it something else now. Humble ISD had a completely separate campus for HS kids that were supposedly above average (which was a complete load of crap for a great many of them).
Dopavash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:21 PM   #17
ETB4U
O_o™

Car: 08 cop car w/ fake VTAK
Send a message via AIM to ETB4U
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny View Post
welcome to the real world. the world is not fixed to prevent the strong from winning, but the weak from losing. the ceiling and standards are set low to keep pushing people out of hs.
Exactly. That's one of the things screwing our society. Like the saying goes, something is only as strong as its weakest link. Problem is, instead of strengthening the weak link, they want to weaken everything else.
ETB4U is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:44 AM   #18
E-DUBB
BEER LIFE.

Car:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VashThaStampede View Post
or govt. workers. just look @ TSA and CBP.

and yes, No Child Left Behind ruined the country.

EVERYBODY is a winner.
E-DUBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:00 AM   #19
Flores

LOL. I remember when the GT program was first implemented in 1978-9 or so. there were only 6 of us in the whole school. and we had 'special' classes in a broom closet. No shit.

and I was the 'dumb' one.

edit: wow. I can't believe my memory is still that good.
http://www.tea.state.tx.us/index2.aspx?id=6420
Quote:
In 1977, the Texas Legislature passed its first legislation concerning the education of gifted/talented (G/T) students. In 1979, state funds for providing services to G/T children were made available, but providing such services was optional for school districts.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:49 AM   #20
profuse007
n00bz

I don't know if it's the whole world, just America.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny View Post

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: