Thread: New Camaro ZL1 Has More Power But Is It Better Than The Shelby GT350R?

Looking for a job
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Car
    Wouldn't you like to know

New Camaro ZL1 Has More Power But Is It Better Than The Shelby GT350R?

If you’re the type of person who cares about horsepower and nothing else, you’ll probably answer the above question with an instant ‘yes’.

However, while muscle cars used to be defined by power figures, their modern-day counterparts are much more capable and well-rounded and can only be adequately compared on a racetrack. Fortunately, Kelley Blue Book has done exactly that by pitting the new Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 against its slightly-older yet no less impressive rival, the Ford Mustang Shelby GT350R.

Powering the ZL1 is a supercharged V8 engine that delivers a truly insane 650 hp, enough to rival and beat many current supercars. By comparison, the Shelby GT350R has a more characterful naturally-aspirated 5.2-liter V8 engine with 526 hp and 429 lb-ft of torque. In a straight line, it has no chance against the ZL1 but is it the more enjoyable of the two to drive?

Well, the video below answers that question, or at least tries to, and should help you make up your mind as to which is best. I’d take the Mustang.
    http://www.carscoops.com/2017/05/new...but-is-it.html

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Car
    Mustang GT, FX35
    I'd take the Hellcat.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Car
    housecarhouse
    Shit. That ZL1 looks lightyears better than any Hellcat, and I'm a fan of the Chargers.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Car
    Mustang GT, FX35
    To me, the aesthetic appeal is about equal across the board. They also cost about the same, which is interesting. Camaro will be much easier to mod and hit that 700hp+ mark. And while we're talking about cars in this price and power range, 15k more will get you into a CTS-V. I'd happily pay an extra 10k for a much nicer interior that surpasses that of these other cars.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Car
    housecarhouse
    Yeah but $15K really is a lot of money. Anyone looking for a V3 CTSV isn't looking for the hellcat or the ZL1, IMHO. Different type of character with those Caddys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Car
    E90 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by DC View Post
    To me, the aesthetic appeal is about equal across the board. They also cost about the same, which is interesting. Camaro will be much easier to mod and hit that 700hp+ mark. And while we're talking about cars in this price and power range, 15k more will get you into a CTS-V. I'd happily pay an extra 10k for a much nicer interior that surpasses that of these other cars.
    while this is true on paper, I'd be willing to bet that actual transaction prices on ZL1's are significantly lower than the GT350R's; for the same money as a GT350R at MSRP you'll probably be ~$2k away from a ZL1 1LE