Thread: Houston area to decriminalize low-level marijuana possession

becoming a regular here! ironic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Car
    magic school bus

Houston area to decriminalize low-level marijuana possession

It's a start, possession of concentrates will remain a felony though..

Houston and the county that contains the fourth most-populous U.S. city will decriminalize low-level marijuana possession, with officials saying on Thursday that throwing people in jail for having small amounts of pot has "no tangible public safety benefit."

The policy, which takes effect March 1, means in most circumstances there will be no jail, no tickets, no court appearances and no criminal record for possession of an ounce or two of marijuana in the city and its surrounding county, home to about 4.5 million people.

More than two dozen U.S. states have legalized some form of marijuana for medical or recreational use, but the drug remains illegal at the federal level and in Texas.

The new "Misdemeanor Marijuana Diversion Program" for Harris County applies to people 17 and older facing no additional charges other than misdemeanor marijuana possession, county and city law enforcement officials said in a statement.

“Harris County has spent more than $200 million in the past decade on more than 100,000 cases of misdemeanor marijuana possession,” District Attorney Kim Ogg, a Democrat who took office this year, said in a statement.

She added that the effort "has deprived neighborhoods of officers' time that could be spent patrolling communities; jail beds that could be used for violent criminals... and judicial court time that should be spent bringing serious criminals to justice.”

The Texas Attorney General's office could not immediately be reached for comment.

The move is also aimed at preventing people from being denied education, employment and housing opportunities due to having a criminal record for marijuana possession.

A main provision is for those caught with low-level possession to complete a four-hour course on decision-making at a cost of $150, which will be waived for the indigent. If people eligible for the program do not want to participate, they will be taken to jail and charged with possession.

The county and Houston will give police officers discretion to bring criminal charges. Individuals under court supervision through bond, probation, or deferred adjudication are not eligible since they have agreements not to violate the law, the county and city said.

Ogg said the move falls under the Texas Code of Criminal Procedures that says it is the duty of a district attorney "not to convict, but to see that justice is done."

"With limited resources, we need to be efficient, smart and thoughtful on fighting crime," Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo said in a statement.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Car
    Hoverboard
    The new DA has her head on straight, focusing on what really matters and quit ruining lives over petty MJ possession!

Alone I Am Premium Forever Alone's Avatar
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Car
    Z28/SC300/Camry
    "The plan calls for officers to seize the marijuana and drop it off at a police station at the end of their shift"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Alone View Post

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Car
    derpmobile
    Damn getting caught with dabs a felony?

Oh whales moving towards the right direction.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Car
    Nice progress. Im not in to weed but i love what i have heard about the medicinal benefits. I ordered me some CBD pills from charlettes web. Any one here ever tried CBD?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Car
    93 240
    Quote Originally Posted by 10js View Post
    Nice progress. Im not in to weed but i love what i have heard about the medicinal benefits. I ordered me some CBD pills from charlettes web. Any one here ever tried CBD?
    Got a friend going thru Chemo that swears by the salves (her legs ache really bad cause of the poison). A single smear and the pain is gone apparently. I haven't tried it personally though.

Yoga Pants Connoisseur. SWoriginal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Car
    Hinata's Tits
    Quote Originally Posted by Lreyes66 View Post
    Damn getting caught with dabs a felony?

Oh whales moving towards the right direction.

Sent from my Nexus 6P
    that's probably because it's a "man made" product. weed is au naturale.
    Quote Originally Posted by 10js View Post
    CBD's don't get u high, right?

weed is god's gift to earth. the world would be a better place if everyone smoked.

Resident DJ Premium Skinny Steve's Avatar
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Car
    2006 Scion xB
    I thought low level possession was 'decriminalized' a few years ago? Either way it's a step in the right direction. I been having a j here and there, but I never have more than that on me. Overall though most cops seem like they could care less about small amounts as it is. Friend and I were smoking a j on Main St downtown a while back, cop came from around the corner and just told us to "put that shit out" lol. Didn't search us or check IDs and I got to keep it. Seems you're more likely to get the runaround when they catch you smoking behind the wheel though but that is understandable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Car
    MR2
    Quote Originally Posted by SWoriginal View Post
    that's probably because it's a "man made" product. weed is au naturale.

CBD's don't get u high, right?

weed is god's gift to earth. the world would be a better place if everyone smoked.
    I see what you're saying, but I disagree. I lived in Colorado and once recreational marijuana was legalized the place became a haven for fucking retards. People stoned out of their mind staring at green lights, low mileage crashes, morons smoking anywhere and everywhere became an absolute nightmare. Especially with kids or even simply going out to the grocery store. I'm all for legalization and taxation of a natural product, but everyone smoking would be catastrophic and detrimental to our society as a whole.

I do think that federal legalization could help to alleviate the stigma of "stoner culture" and bring forth an era of more responsible marijuana consumption. If anything, it would initiate progress in the realm of keeping people stable and continuing to press as productive members of society. I know that functioning and responsible users exist everywhere, but with the legalization of MJ in the springs, I simply saw hoards of "vagrants" coming to get and stay high 24/7. Business was booming though, I saw a ton of start ups affiliated with MJ in the first year alone.

I'd also be curious to see the more practical applications of THC and Hemp products in both the healthcare and industrial industries.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Car
    derpmobile

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Car
    housecarhouse
    Quote Originally Posted by heyitsryan View Post
    I see what you're saying, but I disagree. I lived in Colorado and once recreational marijuana was legalized the place became a haven for fucking retards. People stoned out of their mind staring at green lights, low mileage crashes, morons smoking anywhere and everywhere became an absolute nightmare. Especially with kids or even simply going out to the grocery store. I'm all for legalization and taxation of a natural product, but everyone smoking would be catastrophic and detrimental to our society as a whole.

I do think that federal legalization could help to alleviate the stigma of "stoner culture" and bring forth an era of more responsible marijuana consumption. If anything, it would initiate progress in the realm of keeping people stable and continuing to press as productive members of society. I know that functioning and responsible users exist everywhere, but with the legalization of MJ in the springs, I simply saw hoards of "vagrants" coming to get and stay high 24/7. Business was booming though, I saw a ton of start ups affiliated with MJ in the first year alone.

I'd also be curious to see the more practical applications of THC and Hemp products in both the healthcare and industrial industries.
    If the bold were the case, possibly, but that's not a reality based consequence. I mean, look at the amount of people who drink, yet society continues on. Not everyone is going to head to the store and pick the shit up because all of the sudden it's legal. Will a couple of new people pick it up? Probably, but the reality is that it decriminalizes it for a LOT of people who aren't a threat to society or anyone, which is OK in my book.

I will say I work in Denver and have seen what you're describing. It isn't legal to smoke/ consume marijuana in public and in the situations you're describing those people should be ticketed. The biggest problem is that everyone just wants to bitch and no one wants to do anything about it. If someone was smoking weed around my kids I'd say something, just like if someone is dropping f-bombs around them.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Car
    Mustang GT, FX35
    Quote Originally Posted by Lreyes66 View Post
    Marijuana stocks getting slammed in the markets today, but no matter. Feds can only do so much to enforce drug laws, and that will never change. Obama was right about it being a state issue. Trump has bigger fish to fry too.