Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9141516171819

Thread: 2017 Houston Cribs

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Car
    Nice setup DC. Probably the only reason I went with Philip Hues in my kitchen as well is that remote. Love that thing since u can put the base anywhere

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Ok, soffit project complete. A few posts back, I had a picture with all of the supplies I used. Basically, a power supply, cable, and down lights. I placed them over my garage for a nice downward pointing light both for curb appeal and extra security. Thankfully it was pretty cool in the attic today so I knocked it out.

First thing is to drill the holes. I didn't even think to use a stud finder until later. I drilled a pilot hole, then fed up a coat hanger to see if I was close to the rafters or not. I had to move just a touch for both holes.

A quick peek to see what obstacles I might encounter when fishing the wire... thankfully it was pretty straight forward.

I had WAY more cable than I needed, but oh well. When it gets cooler, I will go up and organize the excess cable a bit more... for now, it's just up there. I used a few coat hangers and some duct tape to make it easier to snag them. With the pitch of the roof, it would have been impossible to retrieve them unless you had a way to fish them.

Popped the lights into place. They have a spring clip on each side and are pretty snug. The instructions said a hole between this and that with a bit of variance, so I went on the smaller side and it was perfect.

Both lights up. I went out a few feet on each side from the center header for the garage door.

Set up the Z-wave outlet yesterday. Plugged it in and everything works. Programmed to come on/off with the porch light now. Obviously, it's not very bright during the day... will post a night time picture this evening.

I have a few open spots on the splitter. I might run a cable outside and do a few landscape lights.... haven't decided yet.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Car
    housecarhouse
    That is super dope. I bet it looks awesome at night

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Car
    Cool way to add more lighting to the outside by of the house.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Car
    Mongooose BMX
    Take some night pics!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FA1 View Post
    Take some night pics!
    Totally forgot last night. Will get one tonight and get it posted. I'm really happy with the 400 lumen output... not too bright, but very noticeable. Best part is, no one else around has something like this. Either people have a traditional motion detector security light, nothing at all, or a battery operated LED light... this trumps them all in my opinion. Will be adding a few more in some other soffits around the house soon.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Car
    94 Civic, 06 IS350
    Quote Originally Posted by DC View Post
    Thanks. LOL, yep she delivered our first one at MH. We have another baby on the way, and planning to go to TCH this time. Hopefully they give out similar goodies.

There are a couple of outlets in the cabinet above the vent (where the microwave is plugged in.) So I ran wiring through the cabinets and pantry (the door you see between the two sets of cabinets.) I basically just used a 3/4" hole saw to drill through the cabinet shelves and drywall.

I got extension cables for the lightstrips on Amazon, since the included power supply cable is only 2-3 feet long.
    Nice, congrats! ironically our scenario was reverse, we had our first at TCH, then our second at MH. we weren't planning on having our second there but situation turned out that way. you'll enjoy TCH a lot more experience wise i think.

nice that the cabinet had some outlets up there. we have some under cabinet lighting, but it's with the mini flourecent tubes which get the job done i guess, i would prefer something like yours though. but my concern was the same as yours, how do i do it without exposing the wires. i think our vent hood has a plug outlet inside the cabinet so if it comes to that i think i'll have a way, or maybe the hue's have a wire kit to just use the existing light boxes with the switch which would be nice too since the wires are already run.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Car
    Mustang GT, FX35
    Quote Originally Posted by YesSiR View Post
    Nice, congrats! ironically our scenario was reverse, we had our first at TCH, then our second at MH. we weren't planning on having our second there but situation turned out that way. you'll enjoy TCH a lot more experience wise i think.

nice that the cabinet had some outlets up there. we have some under cabinet lighting, but it's with the mini flourecent tubes which get the job done i guess, i would prefer something like yours though. but my concern was the same as yours, how do i do it without exposing the wires. i think our vent hood has a plug outlet inside the cabinet so if it comes to that i think i'll have a way, or maybe the hue's have a wire kit to just use the existing light boxes with the switch which would be nice too since the wires are already run.
    There has to be an outlet very close to your microwave, that would be the best way to hide the wires. I was actually going to go with the lighting from the builder as well, but didn't like the idea of using fluorescents.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Again, very happy with the light output. Will be adding a few more around the house and will update the thread accordingly. Also, I got one of those magnetic garage door kits for extra curb appeal. I know it's kind of tacky and several other neighbors have them, but I really do love the look. Nice way to spend $15.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Car
    Quote Originally Posted by Teabagger View Post

Again, very happy with the light output. Will be adding a few more around the house and will update the thread accordingly. Also, I got one of those magnetic garage door kits for extra curb appeal. I know it's kind of tacky and several other neighbors have them, but I really do love the look. Nice way to spend $15.
    If I didn't have my garage fixtures, I would definitely do this......hell I still might do this. Looks really clean

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Car
    AP2/G35
    nice job teabagger looks really good.