Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1520212223242526 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Houston Cribs

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Car
    Mustang GT, FX35
    Quote Originally Posted by YesSiR View Post
    what made you guys go the bulb route instead of the switch route?
    Quote Originally Posted by kuyo View Post
    For me it came to what's easiest/cheaper

My front porch lights are on a leviton swich since it has custom fixtures and G10 bulbs.
    My fixtures outside my garage, bush spotlights, and all my backyard lights are smart bulbs.
    Some are on 4-5 switch outlets. With me being a noob electrician, I just rather not touch it
    I can dig it. I had the hardest time installing my first z-wave switch, and ended up paying an electrician $75 to get it working. After that, I was able to figure things out. Based on the dozens of switches and outlets I've installed since then, I've saved HUNNITS, if not thousands.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Car
    Mongooose BMX
    DIY on installing z wave switches?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Car
    94 Civic, 06 IS350
    Quote Originally Posted by FA1 View Post
    DIY on installing z wave switches?

best bet is to take a look at the current wiring configuration of your light switch and figure which one is the line, which one is load, and which is the ground (grounds easy to spot physically usually as it's the bare copper wire attached to the switch) this essentially applies to 2 way wiring only. after that you'll need to identify if there's a neutral bundle inside your box and if there is, which one it is (they're white). After that you just match the appropriate wires to the back of the switch with the like labels (line, load, neutral, ground)

if it's a 3-way configuration or more (i have a couple 4 way configurations), the traveler will need to be identified and you'll need a add-on switch for whichever brand switch you're using. those are a bit more challenging as you'll need to identify which ones the main switch and which is the added switch.

def turn off the power at the breaker switch before you do any of this though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Car
    ap2
    Can anyone recommend bug spray/powder? I'm starting to get baby ants in the house as well as spiders from the garden. I used to pay for exterminator service but cancelled them because they didn't do a good job.

Thanks in advance.

Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I use Bayer brand Insect Killer from Wal-mart with good results. It's for indoor/outdoor use. I recommend doing the interior first to set up the barrier from more coming in, then do the whole outside house perimeter.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Car
    2015 BMW M4
    This insecticide was recommended in this thread prior. I bought it and its serious stuff. Mix it with water and spray with a sprayer and it last 90 days and kills everything!
    https://www.amazon.com/syngenta-Demo...ds=insecticide

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Car
    housecarhouse
    Quote Originally Posted by SIDEXIT View Post
    Can anyone recommend bug spray/powder? I'm starting to get baby ants in the house as well as spiders from the garden. I used to pay for exterminator service but cancelled them because they didn't do a good job.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevenc View Post
    This insecticide was recommended in this thread prior. I bought it and its serious stuff. Mix it with water and spray with a sprayer and it last 90 days and kills everything!
    I believe that was my recommendation. When your flamethrower is out of napalm, use Demon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Car
    ap2
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevenc View Post
    This is the link I was looking for in here!

Thanks boss.

Where's my keys?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Car
    Whatever's home?
    Question:

May be moving into a older home and wanted suggestions in regards to updating it to a "Smart home". First thing is an alarm system - any recommendations?

I know people have brought up Frontpoint (cellular monitoring and DIY) and Simplisafe, but was seeing on if anyone else has had any thoughts?

Thanks!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Car
    2015 BMW M4
    I just had central security install a DSC system in my house. Its $30 a month for monitoring, no contract and the you pay for the equipment upfront at cost. They were great guys and had me up and running in a couple hours.

Team Chadmod > * Premium James92TSi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Car
    3000GT VR-4; G35 Coupe
    www.smith-thompson.com

New system installed is $300.

If you decide to go with them, tell them james92tsi at gmail dot com reffered you (many thank)

Most DSC and Honeywell/Ademco systems can be interfaced with Vera and possibly other home automation hubs when/if you decide to get into that.

I would not try and get all your automation from the alarm company (i.e. vivint or att smart whatever the hell they call it) as you will pay through the nose monthly for that.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Finally had some time to spray the house and lawn with Talstar-P. Stuff is amazing. I forgot why I chose it over Demon, but it works really well.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Car
    Mongooose BMX

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Car
    94 Civic, 06 IS350
    recently got the google home/hue white and color starter kit deal for 188 a week ago, now i'm debating if i should sell my echo and keep the Google home, or just sell my google home. i'm a lost more invested in the Android ecosystem, but the echo at the moment does offer more versatility...i'm starting to not become a fan of it's speech recognition though. it was great when we first had it, but i think it's lack of auto switching accounts based on voice (like google home does) is starting to work against it as it keeps learning. We always keep it on one account pretty much and it's struggling more than it used to to recognize commands, at least it feels that way IMO. put the feeler out there, if i can get it sold and get this starter kit for essentially 90-100 dollars, i'll be happy.

also picked up some Gladiator wall mounts and some hooks so i can start getting this garage together, guess i'll wait for the next time i see that set for cabinets/etc on sale in a bundle.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Car
    Mongooose BMX
    what are some recommended smart outlet that are non expensive and smart thing compatible?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Car
    94 Civic, 06 IS350
    Quote Originally Posted by FA1 View Post
    what are some recommended smart outlet that are non expensive and smart thing compatible?
    supposedly wemo's outlet is on clearance price of 10 dollars a certain lowes stores (last i checked the one in Mo City had ~7 in stock at that price). with a custom IDE installed for ST it should work fine, can't speak on it otherwise.

the rest are about 30-40 a piece usually. monoprice has some 25 dollar ones that are z-wave. Mydigitaldiscount also has a Centralite zigbee plug for the same price (looks like they're out of stock right now though). it's plug and play.
    https://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/ce...gbee-wireless/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Car
    Mongooose BMX
    Mo city sold out. boooo. i saw that deal on slickdeals and it showed 30 something dollars near me. I'll just wait for something else to pop up

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    For a while Costco had 2pk/$50

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Car
    Mongooose BMX
    That's a good deal

formerly 'hangnail' jamesdmanley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Car
    audi s4, built lsv eg si
    security camera footage of fun drama with my new neighbor -

back story: neighbor doesnt like the part of the street i put my bins, which is right at the end of my driveway.

events:
    1:13pm - neighbor steals recycling bin
    5:53pm - i confront neighbor
    he feigns ignorance
    i inform of existence of video evidence and offer to call law enforcement
    he feigns ignorance
    5:56pm - he returns bin and throws to ground
    5:58pm - i upright
    6:16pm - he slings to middle of my drive

enjoy the lols