Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Houston Cribs

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Car
    Mustang GT, FX35
    Quote Originally Posted by FA1 View Post
    anyone familiar with swann or lorex security cameras?
    Quote Originally Posted by ironic View Post
    I would stay away from lorex, their customer service base sucks dick.
    Yeah, I have a Lorex system. The cameras themselves are great. The NVR is kinda meh, sometimes I can't connect remotely from my phone to view the feed, and the only way to fix it is to reboot the NVR. Customer service does suck. I'll probably end up swapping out that box for something different.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Car
    2015 BMW M4
    Lorex sucks. Their product costs top money and is mediocre at best. I have lots of experience with camera systems and here are the 3 current systems i use.

1) Netgear Arlo. Have these around my house. Battery powered and magnetized so you just stick them around you house where ever you want and they save to cloud with no cloud storage fees.

Pro: No installation required, Free Cloud, Good App and Website
    Con: Batteries need changing every 2-3 months, motion detection take about 3 seconds to start the camera recording so if you dont position the camera just right might miss some quick movement. Only records when motion detected. Expensive.

2) Husky EZViz. Have one of these watching over my street. Image quality is amazing (1080P). Saves direct to a MicroSD card slot on Camera. Good App and Website. 64gig SD stores 2 weeks. Fully weatherproof.

Pro: Image quality. No cloud fees. Wifi so minimal installation.
    Cons: Requires a power plug and camera is alittle large in size.

3) Zmodo POE Camera system. These are direct cheap, fantastic image quality but mediocre build quality. Uses network cable to power and transmit video so you do need to install them. New App is not bad. Store your own video on your own DVR.

Pro: Absolutely dirt cheap. $200 for a 4 camera 1080p system. Great Image Quality.
    Cons: Requires installation. Cheap quality so expect to have to replace the odd camera and DVR every year or 2. (Parts direct cheap though).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Car
    Mongooose BMX
    Quote Originally Posted by ironic View Post
    I would stay away from lorex, their customer service base sucks dick.
    thanks for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by DC View Post
    Yeah, I have a Lorex system. The cameras themselves are great. The NVR is kinda meh, sometimes I can't connect remotely from my phone to view the feed, and the only way to fix it is to reboot the NVR. Customer service does suck. I'll probably end up swapping out that box for something different.
    thanks! will look into something else then.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevenc View Post
    Lorex sucks. Their product costs top money and is mediocre at best. I have lots of experience with camera systems and here are the 3 current systems i use.

1) Netgear Arlo. Have these around my house. Battery powered and magnetized so you just stick them around you house where ever you want and they save to cloud with no cloud storage fees.

Pro: No installation required, Free Cloud, Good App and Website
    Con: Batteries need changing every 2-3 months, motion detection take about 3 seconds to start the camera recording so if you dont position the camera just right might miss some quick movement. Only records when motion detected. Expensive.

2) Husky EZViz. Have one of these watching over my street. Image quality is amazing (1080P). Saves direct to a MicroSD card slot on Camera. Good App and Website. 64gig SD stores 2 weeks. Fully weatherproof.

Pro: Image quality. No cloud fees. Wifi so minimal installation.
    Cons: Requires a power plug and camera is alittle large in size.

3) Zmodo POE Camera system. These are direct cheap, fantastic image quality but mediocre build quality. Uses network cable to power and transmit video so you do need to install them. New App is not bad. Store your own video on your own DVR.

Pro: Absolutely dirt cheap. $200 for a 4 camera 1080p system. Great Image Quality.
    Cons: Requires installation. Cheap quality so expect to have to replace the odd camera and DVR every year or 2. (Parts direct cheap though).

Arlo looks promising. will have to look into the other two. POE is something i would like but i just need to figure out how to run cables. Thanks for the feedback.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Car
    94 Civic, 06 IS350
    there are a few nice alternatives, I have Setup Reolink systems and their cameras are amazing for the price, they come in various configuration options (wireless, POE, and fully wireless in the same manner as netgear arlo's). currently they don't have their indoor/outdoor 1080p camera released yet that's fully wireless, but it's going to retail for 100 dollars and have internal storage of up to 64gb as well. im assuming it will also follow suit with the other camera lineup for the indoor version that is fully wireless and has both an internal storage option as well as records to the reolink NVR. i have their 1440p cameras via POE and they're awesome, and the interface is pretty good. I think reolink is the best bang for your buck. their 4 camera system with NVR is 550, and each add on camera ranges from 75 dollars for a 1440p 4mp camera to 250 (250 being the PTZ with 4x optical zoom).

My mother has a zmodo system and the cameras themselves work well, but that NVR is just horrible to deal with, it's constantly requiring reboots. we've had it for about 3-4 years now. the app also leaves a bit to be desired, but maybe the newer hardware works better with the newer version of the app.

I was going to recommend the Arlo for people who don't want to mess with difficult installs, but now that the Reolink Argus is releasing in June, it's a cheaper bet to use the reolink, there's no central hub required. and each camera has it's own local storage. i'm going to give it a few months to see if they will offer compatibility with the NVR, i'd be shocked if they don't since it's basically an outdoor version of their indoor camera.

i also hear Amcrest cameras are pretty decent, but i don't have any first hand experience with those. I have an Amcrest NVR that i'm going to use to replace my zmodo one for my mom so i'll see how that pans out long term.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Car
    Mongooose BMX
    thanks for the information. will look up reolink. I would like to have all of the same brand cameras around and inside the condo. I was just going to add more nest cams but i think its cheaper if i just get a whole system with a nvr and POE. Need to also look into a smart door lock. Just need that ease of mind when im not home and everything is safe...also when my family comes visit and theyre staying here while im at work.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Car
    94 Civic, 06 IS350
    Quote Originally Posted by FA1 View Post
    thanks for the information. will look up reolink. I would like to have all of the same brand cameras around and inside the condo. I was just going to add more nest cams but i think its cheaper if i just get a whole system with a nvr and POE. Need to also look into a smart door lock. Just need that ease of mind when i'm not home and everything is safe...also when my family comes visit and theyre staying here while i'm at work.
    cool, i have a Yale z-wave smart lock in the garage and haven't had any issues with it as of yet. my dad has a zigbee kwikset lock, and automation wise, i'm not a fan as zigbee's too prone to interference since it works on the 2.4ghz band. my mom has the same lock in z-wave configuration and her's works fine, she also has the deadbolt kwikset z-wave lock. the only thing i've noticed about the kwikset's is that they're very sensitive about having a clean travel path for the deadbolt/lever lock (even though with a lever lock there's really no traveling going on that the mechanism's taking care of) so it'll take some fine adjusting to get it working without blaring at you every time that it's jamming. I plan on getting the kwikset touchpad z-wave deadbolt lock for the front door, main motivation is that i'd like to keep my keys and their rekey is dead simple to execute and my house already came with kwikset locks anyways so they're all rekeyable (except my garage door now sadly lol.) I'd say for a bit of piece of mind, get the garage door lock and maybe a wifi/z-wave garage door opener so that you have a layer of security between your entry way and the outside. I've had my setup for a year and a half and i haven't had any alarming situations where i came home and the whole house was unlocked or anything. usually if i had an odd issue it was with geofencing when i was physically present. but i get horrible reception in my house anyways with gps/cell phone coverage, I wish they'd let the trigger be based on a wifi connection rather than gps location but the hub i use for automation (smartthings) doesn't drive their geofencing that way.

i think i posed screens of my cameras in last years thread but here's a couple again

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Car
    Mustang GT, FX35
    Z-wave > zigbee (as mentioned by Yessir)
    Also, Kwikset > Yale. I have both, and you have to punch a * after you put in your code with the Yale locks. I actually have the Yale on an interior door, so it's not a huge deal.

And for reference, these are the models I have:

https://www.amazon.com/Kwikset-Smart...=kwikset+zwave

https://www.amazon.com/Yale-Touchscr...rds=yale+zwave

Also as mentioned by Yessir, rekeying is super easy with Kwikset. I have the front door and garage door rekeyed to match the back door lock, even though we never use the key to enter/exit the house.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I got schlage connect locks and their pretty good. no complaints really.

You also need to decide, how often you'll actually look at the camera. My first set was ARLO cameras, but the delay in recording makes the camera's almost worthless. Yes ease of usage (i loved their app, but heard nowday's its boot up time is very bad) and mounted is beyond easy--but the delayed recording will really kill the deal. Arlo PRO supposedly reduced the lag time but for $120+ per camera that is still 720p =(.

Anyways, I found that I actually like viewing my cameras more and more--which makes those ARLO's batteries drain fast.

I settled on YI HOME CAMERAS which are now $30-35 720p and 40-60$ for 1080p, a little higher $$ for their Yi home camera 2 1080p. But over time it seems their "lag from app loading to network connection" has been getting worse and worse. They blame it on my wifi but sadly, my wifi is above average--so anyone without comcast and $100 router will have worse output.

Anyways like STEVE said, if you can run wires--DO POE camera setup.....maybe run "http://blueirissoftware.com/" on a decent older computer. With this you can mix match cameras without issues...
    Reolink will be best bang for the buck on quality and resolution.
    Amcrest will be best bang for the buck on pan tilt zoom, can be had for $40-50 -- slickdeals.net

If I lived in a house i would go that route.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Car
    94 Civic, 06 IS350
    Yea, that * key at the end of the code is a bit annoying on the yale, not gonna lie. I'm going to grab a kwikset lever lock for the man cave since my kids can't seem to stay out of it and I don't want any damaged equipment that will cause me to disown them haha.

smash the gas n go!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Car
    2011 f250
    I ran a lorex camera system at my last house loved it. Custom service wasn't bad. Had the DVr go out called and spent a few minutes on the phone wth them. Then they sent me a brand new one.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Car
    Mongooose BMX
    Thanks guys...there's so many choices to choose from...geeez..lol didn't think there's that many product on the market. I won't be checking my cameras a lot actually. Just need something that's mobile for when I'm away and can get a live look in to make sure everything is fine. I'm usually traveling for work around Houston so I'm away for some time but home at night. Will definitely look into kwikset since rekeying is really easy with them. My condo doesn't Come with a garage either..I have two exits...the front door and patio sliding door.

Yessir-what camera are those images from? Reolink?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Car
    94 Civic, 06 IS350
    @FA1 yea those images are from the Reolink cameras. ones a dome camera, the other's a bullet camera, but they all have the same lens hardware so it won't look different between the two.

I still think you'll be fine with a smartlock. I'd say definitely setup Alerts so that you can be aware every time the doors locked/unlocked, but if you plan on using one that isn't wifi dependent (and i'd suggest not getting a wifi based one for security reasons, I'm not a tin-foiler, but the less exposed the protocol the better IMO) then you'll need a z-wave hub of some kind if you don't have one already. some alarm systems come with the capability to also act as the hub, DC I think has one with that capability. kills two birds with one stone. otherwise they're usually around 100 dollars for a hub, they'll probably be on sale this memorial day weekend for around 80 though or less. most popular options are generally Smartthings or Vera.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Car
    Mongooose BMX
    So for the smartlock, which one isnt wifi dependent? reolink isnt sold local is it? didnt seem to find any local.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Car
    Mongooose BMX
    Im also going to get the ring pro. Had a ATT service rep knocking on the door this morning to ask me a simple question. i could've laid in bed and answer his question without having to get up...ugh.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Car
    3000GT VR-4; G35 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by YesSiR View Post
    I plan on getting the kwikset touchpad z-wave deadbolt lock for the front door, main motivation is that i'd like to keep my keys and their rekey is dead simple to execute and my house already came with kwikset locks anyways so they're all rekeyable (except my garage door now sadly lol.)
    I would stay away from the kwikset and schlage user-rekeyable locks. You know, where you stick the little pick tool in and magically re-key the lock whenever you want.

The convenience is great, except those locks can be bypassed easily with a screwdriver and pliers - and you'd never know a forced entry had occurred by looking at the door or lock externally. It breaks the lock internally - the key will still lock/unlock it but it breaks the rekey mech. Stay away from those and get the regular key cylinders that a locksmith has to rekey for you.

I have 3 of the older yale pushbutton deadbolts (click for amazon link) and love them as much as a human could or should love a door lock. Only downside is battery consumption, but that's the nature of having a motorized thing unlock/relock your doors all day every day. I get a few months per set of batteries, and that's with pretty heavy use for residential (6 people).

The reason for the * after your code is that the yale lock can work with user codes of 4 to 8 digits in length. So the * is an enter key and its use makes the lock more secure than if the lock just started opening after random numbers were pressed. It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

The tapered deadbolt is great - as long as the door is close to all the way closed, the tapered deadbolt will draw it into the closed position. The locks only jam when someone is stupid and closes the door halfway or less, or leans on the door while the deadbolt is in motion.

I will say that if you are going to do zwave locks you should also have some other hardwired zwave automation nearby such as light switches or dimmers. I started with a VeraEdge hub and locks only, and the communication from locks to hub was not reliable at all until I started filling in more light switches to relay the zwave signals throughout the house (and out to the garage for that deadbolt). Zwave is a mesh network so the more devices you have the better it works.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Car
    Mongooose BMX
    Great info. Was looking at the smart things hub

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Car
    94 Civic, 06 IS350
    Quote Originally Posted by James92TSi View Post
    I will say that if you are going to do zwave locks you should also have some other hardwired zwave automation nearby such as light switches or dimmers. I started with a VeraEdge hub and locks only, and the communication from locks to hub was not reliable at all until I started filling in more light switches to relay the zwave signals throughout the house (and out to the garage for that deadbolt). Zwave is a mesh network so the more devices you have the better it works.
    good to know about the kwikset locks, i'll keep that in mind.

also a good point about the strength of the mesh network being dependent on how many devices are present that help repeat/reroute the signals being processed. I do have a fair amount of z-wave devices between my doors and the hub so i didn't run into those issues, my parents do as well. but depending on the distance between the two I can see it being an issue.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Car
    I've been seeing that about kwikset locks for a while. Funny thing is, most break-ins at least from what I notice are brick threw the window lol. Unless it's a planned heist at a multi-million dollar house, I don't see your average theif scoping out your locks.
    Just my opinion. I also have 4 kwikset z waves all around my house. Haven't had problems in yrs

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Car
    Mongooose BMX
    outdoor and indoor camera :

Reolink https://www.amazon.com/Reolink-Busin.../dp/B01AHXEHSU

Smart lock :

https://www.amazon.com/Kwikset-Smart...set+916+z-wave

Smart hub :

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-...dFfhoCvgDw_wcB

As far as the wiring for the cameras....i watched enough youtube videos and looks kinda simple to run it. If not ill get a professional installer. I have 1 nest unit currently and it's not compatible with the samsung smart hub so i guess i wont be needing that. Maybe give it to one of my siblings..Anyone own a sliding patio door and know how to keep it secured besides just locking it? Thanks guys...you guys been really helpful.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Car
    Mongooose BMX
    What software should i use for the reolink if i need one?