Page 256 of 256 FirstFirst ... 156206246251252253254255256
Results 5,101 to 5,116 of 5116

Thread: Post your gaming computer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Car
    2015 BMW M4
    Microcenter has a deal on a $1000 computer. Cheaper than the individual components.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...c-e967765c96ee

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Car
    Mongooose BMX
    damn thats a good deal...

becoming a regular here! ironic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Car
    magic school bus
    anyone here run a hackintosh build? I am going to start a build soon running macOS

Fallout Mechanical Inst. Dopavash's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Car
    12.8L Volvo
    Alright, I need some basic computer building help here.

I bought a lenovo desktop from Newegg awhile back for my office. Apparently it'd has a non-standard psu and motherboard. And of course, both of them start crapping out almost immediately. It wasnt my computer and thru had someone else working on it, so I didn't get to fix the issue myself.

They ended up buying another computer to replace it, so now I'm left with a lenovo pre-built with an i7 6700, good HD and such but also a suspect power supply and motherboard.

So obviously I'm wanting to change the mobo and psu with standard atx parts. Any reason I can't just buy a 1151 socket mobo and a decent psu and call it good?

I'm very amateur when it comes to computer building. This will be my first, actually. Please let me know of any snags to look out for. Thanks guys.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Car
    12.8L Volvo
    Oh! I forgot to mention that it also has a 960 gpu in it. Any recommendations on what those will require for a psu? I was looking at a 600w, because they're not terribly expensive and it should be plenty of juice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Car
    Stage II 2011 VW GTI
    Quote Originally Posted by Dopavash View Post
    Alright, I need some basic computer building help here.

I bought a lenovo desktop from Newegg awhile back for my office. Apparently it'd has a non-standard psu and motherboard. And of course, both of them start crapping out almost immediately. It wasnt my computer and thru had someone else working on it, so I didn't get to fix the issue myself.

They ended up buying another computer to replace it, so now I'm left with a lenovo pre-built with an i7 6700, good HD and such but also a suspect power supply and motherboard.

So obviously I'm wanting to change the mobo and psu with standard atx parts. Any reason I can't just buy a 1151 socket mobo and a decent psu and call it good?

I'm very amateur when it comes to computer building. This will be my first, actually. Please let me know of any snags to look out for. Thanks guys.
    Technically you should be able to buy a new motherboard and power supply, 600w is fine, and have no problems. The only issue I think you'll run in to is that you will have to reinstall Windows and since it's an OEM license (not one you purchased separately) you might have a problem activating the copy. I'm sure if you Google this topic others have done it before you.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Car
    2015 BMW M4
    Few things.
    1) If you log into windows with a hotmail account you can register that copy of windows to your acccount, then when you do the upgrade and reinstall windows, you will be able to reactive windows by logging back in with your hotmail account and selected "i did a major hardware update". It will show you computers previously registered in your name and let you transfer the license.
    2) What exact model do you have of Lenovo desktop?
    3) yes you can change MB over to a standard motherboard DEPENDING ON THE CASE DESIGN. Again let us know which model you have.
    4) Unlikely both the PS and Mobo are faulty. Likely only one is faulty.
    5) 600W Bronze certified power supply will be fine.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/4...d_Power_Supply

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Car
    2015 BMW M4
    Its funny im in the process of replacing the inards of a bunch of Lenovo M80 workstations at the office with new MB, processors, SSD's ect...

Pretty easy, only thing that will catch you out will be the wiring for the front panel and start button. Every motherboard has a unique pinout for the power button and front panel lights. You will likely have to change the order of the pins in the front panel connector to match the new motherboard. I label the wires using the old motherboard pinout as a guide, then remove the wires from the connector and put them back in in the new order that matches the new motherboard pinout.

Dont forget to get thermal compound. When you move the processor over, you will need to remove the old thermal compound and put new compound down.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Car
    12.8L Volvo
    Quote Originally Posted by realcyberbob View Post
    Technically you should be able to buy a new motherboard and power supply, 600w is fine, and have no problems. The only issue I think you'll run in to is that you will have to reinstall Windows and since it's an OEM license (not one you purchased separately) you might have a problem activating the copy. I'm sure if you Google this topic others have done it before you.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevenc View Post
    Few things.
    1) If you log into windows with a hotmail account you can register that copy of windows to your acccount, then when you do the upgrade and reinstall windows, you will be able to reactive windows by logging back in with your hotmail account and selected "i did a major hardware update". It will show you computers previously registered in your name and let you transfer the license.
    2) What exact model do you have of Lenovo desktop?
    3) yes you can change MB over to a standard motherboard DEPENDING ON THE CASE DESIGN. Again let us know which model you have.
    4) Unlikely both the PS and Mobo are faulty. Likely only one is faulty.
    5) 600W Bronze certified power supply will be fine.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/4...d_Power_Supply
    Thank you guys for the advice. I will be trying the registering Hotmail thing.

Sorry for the late reply. Here is the model I bought:

https://flash.newegg.com/product/9SIA4P05223971

Even tho the MOBO is *probably* ok, I'd just as soon get rid of all the non-standard junk. Its worth the $100 to me to get on something good.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Car
    2015 BMW M4
    Team red making a come back

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Car
    2015 BMW M4
    Quote Originally Posted by Dopavash View Post
    Thank you guys for the advice. I will be trying the registering Hotmail thing.

Sorry for the late reply. Here is the model I bought:

https://flash.newegg.com/product/9SIA4P05223971

Even tho the MOBO is *probably* ok, I'd just as soon get rid of all the non-standard junk. Its worth the $100 to me to get on something good.
    Fairly standard case design, should have minimal problems replacing the Mobo

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Car
    12.8L Volvo
    Thanks man. I do really appreciate the advice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Car
    13' Charger SRT8
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevenc View Post
    Its funny im in the process of replacing the inards of a bunch of Lenovo M80 workstations at the office with new MB, processors, SSD's ect...

Pretty easy, only thing that will catch you out will be the wiring for the front panel and start button. Every motherboard has a unique pinout for the power button and front panel lights. You will likely have to change the order of the pins in the front panel connector to match the new motherboard. I label the wires using the old motherboard pinout as a guide, then remove the wires from the connector and put them back in in the new order that matches the new motherboard pinout.

Dont forget to get thermal compound. When you move the processor over, you will need to remove the old thermal compound and put new compound down.
    So you are simply reusing the PS and case?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Car
    2015 BMW M4
    At work, yeah, plus transferring over windows key. Can buy a nice AMD A10 processor and mobo for under $100 these days which smokes the intel e6600 which are in the M80 to begin with.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Car
    2015 BMW M4

Ryzen 1700x up and running

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Car
    2015 BMW M4
    Very respectable passmark score without any overclocking