Page 10 of 72 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314152060 ... LastLast

Thread: ASK A LEO (Law Enforcement Officer)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Car
    IS350,4RUNNER
    Question, I removed my wiper blades from the car (weekend car) only driven on pretty days. I was told that I should put the wiper arm/blade back because I can get cited for it?? Could you shine some light on this subject? Becuase if I can get in trouble for running with no wipers then bet your ass I'm putting them back on lol.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Car
    Nissan Sentra
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo_lude View Post
    Question, I removed my wiper blades from the car (weekend car) only driven on pretty days. I was told that I should put the wiper arm/blade back because I can get cited for it?? Could you shine some light on this subject? Becuase if I can get in trouble for running with no wipers then bet your ass I'm putting them back on lol.
    I know if your car came with wipers you need them to pass inspection. Not sure about legality though. Funny thing, you need wipers to pass, but you dont' have to have a windshield. Go figure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ever ask a female motorist to "take care of the kid?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Car
    truckin
    Quote Originally Posted by hardnutz View Post
    What is the best way to get a hold of the police department, not 9-1-1, in the area you live in? Is there an online directory to search for the closest department based on your location/zip code?
    if you live in harris county but not houston city limits, just call their non-emergency line and ask for local station number?

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Car
    Skyrine
    Why is it that when a gun is used in self defense that you would have to take the gun away from the owner and 50% of the time the owner will actually get their property back.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Car
    2003 Toyota Tundra
    Quote Originally Posted by yumbeef View Post
    if you live in harris county but not houston city limits, just call their non-emergency line and ask for local station number?
    The main HCSO number is 713-221-6000 - I assume I can call that number if I pull up to my house and I notice my front door is kicked in?

But since I live in Katy I wonder if I would get a quicker response if I tried the Katy Police department instead.

Or I suppose in that particular scenario, I should probably just call 9-1-1.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Car
    truckin
    wrd. camp at front door with g21 pointed at door and call 911. should get home monitoring service/alarm so they can tell you when alarm is tripped. just go ahead and call harris county or katy non emergency number and ask them if they can help you out in non-emergency situation. if they katy says "call harris county" then thats ur solution. if harris county says "call katy" then i guess ur fucked and no one will help you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i've never written a "no wiper blade" ticket before...but it could be cited as "missing equiment, to wit:...". But i highly doubt any officers look for that..

right behind you
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Car
    350Z
    We have to perform ballistics on the gun and make sure that the gun in question was actually used. They also run in through to see if it was used in any crimes. Only time that the gun is not returned is when it is stolen. I have never heard of a gun that was legally owned not being returned to the owner.

Nemo me impune lacessit Premium Limeade's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Car
    13 Fx4
    Quote Originally Posted by hardnutz View Post
    What is the best way to get a hold of the police department, not 9-1-1, in the area you live in? Is there an online directory to search for the closest department based on your location/zip code?
    Depends where you live, but if it's in the city try CityofHouston.Gov and go to the police services section. It will have a map with corresponding numbers for each station. Those are the numbers you need if you specifically need to get into contact with the station, if it's just a non emergency you can call the non emergency line which most jurisdictions have.

Shouldn't be a problem. But don't get caught in the rain and get into a wreck.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    Ever ask a female motorist to "take care of the kid?"
    Not sure what the reference means, but no.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdeep View Post
    Why is it that when a gun is used in self defense that you would have to take the gun away from the owner and 50% of the time the owner will actually get their property back.
    Where did you hear this from? The 50% statistic specifically?

As for the gun being taken away, well that's because we don't assume. You may know what happened but I don't and I'm not going to base a case that is contingent on a weapon based on assumptions.

For example, lets say I arrive on a scene and find a dead guy laying in the driveway of a home next to a open car. The owner runs out and says "I shot'em, but he was breaking into my car"

Let's say I assume he is telling the truth. Then two weeks later we find out the guy laying in the middle of the driveway was his wife's ex lover and upon finding out her husband shot'em she also claims ignorance in an attempt to protect her family and reputation.

Well, it hasn't been that long, but the defense is going to bring up all sorts of evidence issues if I left the murder weapon with the actual murderer and the prosecution is also going to have a difficult time convincing the jury that a competent investigation was performed.

As for them not being returned I've never heard of that. I've recovered tons of stolen guns off of the street and I always have to perform a stolen recovery report which is used to located the complainant. Hope that helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Car
    Eeeetherrrr6
    wrd. camp at front door with g21 pointed at door and call 911. should get home monitoring service/alarm so they can tell you when alarm is tripped. just go ahead and call harris county or katy non emergency number and ask them if they can help you out in non-emergency situation. if they katy says "call harris county" then thats ur solution. if harris county says "call katy" then i guess ur fucked and no one will help you.
    That happened to me when I was getting bounced back and forth with Harris County and HPD.. :facepalm:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Car
    truckin
    Quote Originally Posted by AzNVi3t2007 View Post
    That happened to me when I was getting bounced back and forth with Harris County and HPD.. :facepalm:
    i had that happen to when i called in an accident i saw on gessner and w. little york. dialed 911 on the cell phone, get connected to hpd, then they say "no thats harris county" then i get switched over and they say HPD so i just hang up. i think harris county eventually showed up. dude blew thru the light coming off 290 feeder on gessner and tboned a family turning left from little york onto gessner (i was behind the car that was hit and was also making a left). ambulance came, they thought everyone was okay, then i saw the teenage girl who was a passenger in the hit car throw up and alerted paramedics. paramedics put her on stretcher for further evaluation. gave a statement to the cop and left.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Car
    truckin
    from fake cop steals man's wallet thread
    Quote Originally Posted by ETB4U View Post
    Actually a pretty good question for the police on here. If you suspect it's not a real cop, and you don't want to risk it actually being a cop and being thrown down in cuffs for "resisting arrest" while you tell him you don't think he's a cop; what do you do?

Alone I Am Premium Forever Alone's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Car
    Z28/SC300/Camry
    I believe you are allowed to call that in before subjecting to anything? Assuming you get stopped for something petty where the officer isn't ripping you out of the car for something.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Car
    13 Fx4
    from fake cop steals man's wallet thread
    The first thing I would do is become acquainted with what the police officers in and around my area look like. Everyone is pretty familiar with HPDs uniform and HCSO, but if you live in one of these smalls towns/municipalities around the city then it may be prudent to become familiar with theirs as well.

As far as what you should do in a event where you believe you being detained/held against your will be a non police officer...

Well that is a very tough question, I would say use caution and common sense. Unfortunately a lot of people use that excuse "Man I didn't know you was a cop!" So it's kind of played out.

I have personally never EVER heard of one of these situations transpiring where the suspect actually had anything that remotely looked like a police officer's uniform on. A lot of times will be a ball cap with "police" written on it and nothing more.

You are always free to call 911 if you are not detained yet, but I wouldn't go ape shit if the cops [a real one] tells you to put your phone down.

becoming a regular here! Premium kaytoos's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Car
    Tarmac & Carve
    A car in front of me flicked a cigarette butt onto the center median the other day :facepalm:

What's your view on littering?

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Car
    Skyrine
    I have actually seen a cop call someone to get out of their car to pick up their cig butt before. Not worth it man, littering is like a $2k fine...correct me if I am wrong

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Car
    truckin
    cigarette butts are #1 source of road side litter.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Car
    13 Fx4
    Quote Originally Posted by kaytoos View Post
    A car in front of me flicked a cigarette butt onto the center median the other day :facepalm:

What's your view on littering?
    My old trainer would get on the loud speaker and make them pick it up. I personally hate beer bottles. A lot of the time when you go to a really shitty apt complex in the south west you'll run into people just partying in the parking lot and after they are done they will leave 50+ beer bottles laying around.

My view on this is that it is obviously trashy and low class, it's jail or they pick it up.

www.pocket-cinema.com
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Car
    A few beaters
    i see some people dumping trash in those large dumpsters in like business parks or apt complexes. is it illegal to dump trash in other peoples dumpsters? I figure it would be better than just throwing the trash on the side of the road somewhere.