Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My new LS swap project (BUILD THREAD!)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

My new LS swap project (BUILD THREAD!)

Working on building a drag toy with an LS swap and eventually a turbo. Here begins the thread for it. my hope is to have the project running and driving for ~3000 and im on pace to meet those numbers. with turbo stuff i expect to be closer to 8k. im following the sloppy mechanics dont bs me build nearly to a T.

Picked up this 01 suburban for 300 bux and 120 to tow it home. unfortunately it had been the victim of arson... According to the old timer that i bought it from, his 19yr old grand son drove the burb over and parked it blocking access to the back of their property. He asked him to move the truck and this was the most insulting thing the teen had ever heard so in defiance he set the interior on fire. upside is the fire department was fast and put it out before it spread too far and the 5.3 under the hood appears to be in perfect condition which is good for me cause thats the only piece i want.

Here she is in all her glory

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    heres a progress pic i started stripping stuff off the front last night this was before i went in for dinner. After i came back out i got about 30 minutes and it started to rain so i had to hurriedly clean up and run in.

got the rad out, trans cooler lines disconnected, a lot of the hoses off, clutch fan off etc. hoping to go ham on it tonight and get the rest of it out and maybe the motor out. ill snap more pics as i am working on it and ill probably grab my gopro and do some timelapse stuff of me working on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Looks like the body is clean so you could part out most of it to sell as well.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    its OK at best. honestly im just going to get someone to come pick it up once im done stripping what i need out of it. ill sell the cats and the transmission and i should make up a good bit of my money lol.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Don't these suburbans come with LM motors? The LS is a 5.7 #chevynoob

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph_R2D2 View Post
    Chevy Connysour....

IN

@dantheman give the handicap plate to Doat.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    i mean "technically" the LS motors are the LS1/2/3/4/6/7/9 and are aluminum blocks in displacements from 5.3 (ls4) to 7.0 (ls7), the physical block size is the same between all of these and the differences are in bore/stroke/rod length. however the LM7 (5.3) and LR4 (4.8) that come in the burb as well as the LQ4/9 (6.0) and other designations are all based off the same architecture. parts interchange between them and they share a lot of part numbers. the difference being the majority of the truck/suv blocks are iron not aluminum.

so LS motor covers all of it in a broad sense.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Like I said i'm a chevy noob, I guess most peeps that do swaps just say what car it came from and you'd know what engine it had. But carry on, looks like a great donor.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Like I said i'm a chevy noob, I guess most peeps that do swaps just say what car it came from and you'd know what engine it had. But carry on, looks like a great donor.
    yea pretty much. the reason its a 3 digit code is because of the RPO codes that GM uses to denote options. LM7 is the 5.3 iron block engine code. ly6 l33 lr4 lq9 l98 etc etc they have LOTS of them. 97-04/05 is "gen3 small block chevy" and 05-15 is gen4. the LT based motors in teh new trucks/vettes/camaro etc are all gen5 stuff.

gen3 and gen4 a LOT of the stuff interchanges. heads, intake manifolds (as long as port shape is same), exhaust manifolds etc. its all legos honestly. ill probably end up using the factory GTO exhaust manifolds on this for the first iteration because the stock truck ones have the airpump shit and i dont want to deal with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    what chassis are you going to run for your drag toy?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    youll see very soon.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Car ramrod.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Say it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orlando View Post
    what chassis are you going to run for your drag toy?
    Civic hatch lolll

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    He bought a rare, low mileage glass top CRX to cut up. I’ve seen it, the car is clean. It’s like the owner bought it new and drove it back and forth to the grocery store each week and that’s it.

Unless he’s going to Chevy swap the MK4 Supra he has, that would be awesome too.
    Last edited by tmiller; 10-20-2017 at 02:39 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    cats out of the bag. my JDM glass top CRX i brought over is getting cut up. corvette rear/trans to keep the balance good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    subd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wow, I can't wait to see the progress on this project. Always loved a CRX...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tmiller View Post
    He bought a rare, low mileage glass top CRX to cut up. Iíve seen it, the car is clean. Itís like the owner bought it new and drove it back and forth to the grocery store each week and thatís it.

Unless heís going to Chevy swap the MK4 Supra he has, that would be awesome too.
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
    cats out of the bag. my JDM glass top CRX i brought over is getting cut up. corvette rear/trans to keep the balance good.
    hate all two of you for snipe bidding that CRX out from under me

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    You were just gunna moth ball it. I'm gunna enjoy it.