Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Home Upgrades & Purchases

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2017 Home Upgrades & Purchases

Figured people still want to talk about home stuff....

I was lucky few that got into that New York Times deal on slickdeals!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...new-york-times

I signed up two accounts and got two Google Home!

Can't wait to use them. I wish I wasn't lazy and signed up for atleast one more... oh wells

This will be a good item for home automation....
    Last edited by chinh; 10-05-2017 at 09:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Nice! Let us know what you think about the google home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Anyone set up their Alexa to connect to their car app to be able to start their vehicle via Alexa?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My lawn is full of weeds after the storm, any recommendations beside pulling by hand?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Scot weed & feed ^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.metoo View Post
    My lawn is full of weeds after the storm, any recommendations beside pulling by hand?
    depends on the weed

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    If it's the broad leaf type weeds, they make sprays that connect to your hose and will literally kill them overnight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    google home has been pretty good, i seem to like it better than my ecobee alexa...

had to pay MYQ $10 a year just so I can say, "Hey Google, close my garage door." but Chamberlane is a Ahole company--will not let you say open garage door =(

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Has anyone ever replaced a fiberglass shower pan? Ours got a crack in it and the support under it, which im assuming is wood is all messed up from water getting to it so you can feel its hollow underneath the crack now.

Im debating on if i should try to replace the whole thing or just cut a hole and fill it with some high density foam and re-fiberglass and gel coat it. It just seems like replacing it would be a much bigger project than its worth since we plan to remodel and rip the whole thing out in the next 2-3 years anyhow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yes it's a lot of broad leaf ones and ones that are kind of purple in color. Just been sketchy of sprays since one that I used before also killed some of the grass as well.

Laid down some fall/winter Scott's also.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.metoo View Post
    Yes it's a lot of broad leaf ones and ones that are kind of purple in color. Just been sketchy of sprays since one that I used before also killed some of the grass as well.

Laid down some fall/winter Scott's also.
    scotts weed and feed would kill most broad leaf stuff

you can get some weed b gone for broad leaf as well that should work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the info dudes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    +1 on the weed b gon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not a home home question, but have any of you built your own projector screens? If you work on cars and other crafts, what size compressor do you recommend for a garage that will handle everything including sanding a whole car?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zedbimmer View Post
    Not a home home question, but have any of you built your own projector screens? If you work on cars and other crafts, what size compressor do you recommend for a garage that will handle everything including sanding a whole car?
    Projector screen - yes, built the one in my last house. This house I am buying prefab. The prices have come way down on prefab screens so unless you are on an absolute shoestring budget or trying to have an odd size screen that isn't available prefab, you're better off buying them. Look at silver ticket screens on amazon.

Compressor.... minimum 60-80 gallon 2 stage 5hp to run an air sander continuously. If you don't need continuous use of sanders/grinders then you could go smaller. If you plan on painting the big compressor will be good for that as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chinh View Post
    google home has been pretty good, i seem to like it better than my ecobee alexa...

had to pay MYQ $10 a year just so I can say, "Hey Google, close my garage door." but Chamberlane is a Ahole company--will not let you say open garage door =(
    I don't even use the MyQ app. I connect my MyQ garage openers directly to Alarm.com.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James92TSi View Post
    Projector screen - yes, built the one in my last house. This house I am buying prefab. The prices have come way down on prefab screens so unless you are on an absolute shoestring budget or trying to have an odd size screen that isn't available prefab, you're better off buying them. Look at silver ticket screens on amazon.

Compressor.... minimum 60-80 gallon 2 stage 5hp to run an air sander continuously. If you don't need continuous use of sanders/grinders then you could go smaller. If you plan on painting the big compressor will be good for that as well.
    this. i was operating with a 21gal "2hp" single stage and the damn thing ran nearly constantly just using an impact gun. the 80gal 2 stage i replaced with is a beast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chinh View Post

that's crazy, i think with that same fee you should be able to use IFTTT and create an applet for the verbal command for opening the door. you'll just have to insert the word "trigger" in front of "open garage door" when you say it once you set it up. i still have my MyQ, but i plan on ditching it for a Iris Z-wave garage door module.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    $10 a month to operate a garage door opener is ridiculous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James92TSi View Post
    $10 a month to operate a garage door opener is ridiculous.
    Correction, my good sir, he said $10/year. But I pay nothing for that feature through Alarm.com.