PDA

View Full Version : cost of painting the interior of a house?

SuperSpud
01-13-2011, 09:03 AM
Im not really sure what section this belongs in but since it involves money, I figured i'd put it here....

I close on my house on the 19th and the first thing im going to do right off the bat is have it painted. Like, literally right off the bat, I have two crews coming to give me estimates the afternoon of the 19th lol

I'd like to have SOME sort of idea as to how much it costs. My house is a split floorplan single story home that is 1500 square feet with 3 bedrooms / 2 bath

Also, for those who have had this done before, what is the best way of having someone paint your house?

pay them $xxx to do everything - buy products, buy paint, do labor everythign?

or

pay them only to paint the house - I purchase the paint and just pay them to do the job?

thanks guys, im SUPER stoked!

yumbeef
01-13-2011, 09:07 AM
be weary of scams. they'll take your money to "buy paint" then disappear. if your current paint or walls are fucked up (peeling paint, holes in wall, etc) prep work will be important and cost more (think if they have to scrape off old paint, patch holes and try to match texture and stuff). i think i paid someone $250/room for labor and i paid whatever the paint cost him. my a few of my walls were fucked up, so labor was a bit higher.

bowfinger
01-13-2011, 09:17 AM
My father in law has been painting houses since the 80's, he's an old guy but does a hell of a job. He gives prices that include labor + paint.
He let's you pick the color then he buys it from Sherwin Williams.
He say's Home Depot and Lowes paints are trash.:thumb:

danny
01-13-2011, 09:39 AM
Spud this has a lot of factors in here

1. What kind of paint are you going to buy?
2. What kind of finish do you want in your rooms?
3. Who is going to do the labor?

The type of paint you buy can run you anywhere from $11-35 a gallon. Depending on where you buy it, and if you have coupons or discounts, etc.

The finish of paint you buy will affect the price as well. You will also need to figure in prep work (Kilz primer or something like that....$6/7 a gallon).

The labor to paint the place will also cost you. If you have the right person do the job, you can get an excellent deal. I would go this route. Painting takes forever, and professionals will do a good job.

Expect to pay, for your entire house, anywhere from $1,500 to $3,000.

If you need a painter, PM me. This is what I do.....

Also, if you go with your own painter: DO NOT cut them a check for everything up front. Get the bid, and go to Lowes or Sherwin Williams to get the materials. Pay for it there, do NOT give them the cash to buy it themselves.

SuperSpud
01-13-2011, 09:46 AM
thanks for the replies guys.

the house is a 2001 and actually has fresh paint on the interior, but its just not my style.... I want to make it "my house".

that being said, the walls are in great shape (as is the rest of the house). everything is like new, so no prep work.

also, the current color of the walls is lighter than the colors I picked, so there isnt any need for primer. I am only painting the sheetrock, not cabinets, doors or trim, so it will be a very simple project.

I have several copies of the color samples I want my house to be (one for living, halls, kitchen, dining room and rooms, another for the two bathrooms) so depending on which way I go, I will either give the samples to the crew so they can get the paint, or I will go buy it myself.

as for BRAND of paint, the samples are martha stewart living paint, which is $27 a gallon from home depot. However, I plan to just go to either a Sherwin Williams or even home depot, have them color match it, then go with a cheaper brand. I am not going to get the cheapest option, but certainly am not going to get the most expensive.

Both crews I have coming to give me estimates were recommended by people I know who have used them before so I am not worried about being scammed, just wanted some feedback from people who have done this before.

yumbeef
01-13-2011, 09:56 AM
congrats on the new house. another helpful thing is to remove door knobs and panels for light switches/electical outlets. its more work, but i think the painting comes out better and cleaner.

HoustonRealtor
01-13-2011, 10:48 AM
PM me if you need a good contractor, I have a contractor that renovates houses for me and does a really good job at a good price.

tjwrnglr
01-13-2011, 12:05 PM
why not do it yourself? its super easy and you could save quite a bit of money. my wife and I redid our house when we bought it. 2 story, 2500 sq ft. Took a couple of weekends, but we're happy with it. unless you're handicapped, its an easy task.

Replica
01-13-2011, 12:09 PM
If the house is only 1,500 square feet, I can't see paint and supplies being more than about $200 including rollers, brushes and tape. Do it yourself, it's extremely easy. When I had a house, I used to do a room a day (and it only took about 3-4 hours to do a large bedroom) until I was done.

J Stuff
01-14-2011, 12:15 AM
I have painted about 20 houses, seriously haha. Many many rooms. Practice on one room man and youll get the hang of it very quickly.

Dont pay someone else to do it when you can do it on a sunday

koolaider
01-14-2011, 12:56 AM
its really easy to diy, might be a little bit of a mess but nothing major. You can do the rooms since everything can be reached but the living room if it has a high ceiling or odd shaped have someone do it.

xtel
01-14-2011, 03:49 AM
I also suggest doing it yourself. No one will care what it looks like more than you do. If you don't have the tools it'll be pricey the first go-round, but if you need to do touch-ups or repaint you'll be set.

It's really not that hard if you have the time and since you're wanting to make it "your home" your own touch & work will reflect that.

yumbeef
01-14-2011, 08:23 AM
if you do it yourself, paint ceiling first, then dont bother taping shit. just take it nice and slow around edges and do not to slap on on too much paint at once lest you get pwned by drips and runs. folks who painted my house didn't tape shit, but just had a steady hand.

devilmaycry
01-14-2011, 09:00 AM
Paint the place yourself.

If I can do it you can do it too.

Enron Exec
01-14-2011, 09:28 AM
Congratz on the house man!

Jeebus
01-14-2011, 09:32 AM
I would diy. I did our living rooms a couple months ago prior to the carpet being replaced. Took me a few hours but it was worth not paying $250 for a room, that seriously feels like rape to paint one room. I think supplies and paint was less than $50.

tit$
01-17-2011, 03:08 PM
cost of interior paint to have done is (on average) $1 per sq ft of ground space, two tone, white trim + color)

DC
01-17-2011, 04:26 PM
For a house your size, it would cost about $80-$100 to paint one room. Usually, professional painters supply their own brushes and tools. You just supply the paint and make sure that all furniture is out of the way, which should be no problem for you since you haven't moved in yet.

Replica
01-17-2011, 04:45 PM
I buy the Wal-Mart paint for like $13 a gallon. Semi-gloss. I can't tell a difference between "designer" paints and the Wal-Mart shit. I think the master bedroom, which was pretty large, took a can and a half. There's usually an area at Wal-Mart that has cheap brushes, just get 3 sizes, they're usually $1-$3 each. Then get a metal tray and a three pack of rollers and tray liners.

Ready to rock.

DC
01-17-2011, 08:05 PM
I use Behr paint from Home Depot. I know others who've used it as well, no issues and there are lots of colors to choose from.

Chago
01-17-2011, 08:30 PM
My .02 on paint:
many people say that even the cheapest stuff from Sherwin Williams is way better than the expensive stuff from HD, Lowes, or the like.

tjwrnglr
01-17-2011, 09:11 PM
I've bought all brands of paint from the cheap $14 wal-mart brand to the $25/gal at HD/Lowe's. never had a problem. You really cant go wrong with either. If i remember correctly, Wal Mart buys their stuff from SW and rebrands it.

And this crap about the more expensive paints requiring less coats, I've found it's all in the brush/roller you use. Even the more expensive stuff from Lowe's still required 2, sometimes 3 coats with a decent roller.

Replica
01-17-2011, 09:21 PM
It's not worth going cheap on the rollers or it looks all streaky and sometimes doesn't paint the deeper textures in the wall.

HoustonRealtor
01-17-2011, 10:01 PM
Sherwinn Williams is a little more expensive but it covers way better than Lowes or HD paint. Check out the Universal Khaki and Sawmill at SW, I just painted one of my investment houses those colors and it looks really good.

Monarch is cheaper than SW and is also a good quality paint that covers really good.:thumb:

LT280z
01-31-2011, 02:16 PM
I know this thread is old but i figured id post in it incase anybody is listening to all this advice.

The comment above says Sherwin williams covers better than HD, Lowes, etc...THATS COMPLETE RUBBISH...

When you go to the paint store and pick a color ask the paint store what BASE the paint is.....Deep dark colors often use a clear base so your basically adding color to a clear which results in a paint that takes many coats to cover. A deeptint base is very similar in that it takes more coats to cover.

White and neutral base paints will cover the best with the least amount of work.

Ive owned a painting company for the last 12 years and know a thing or two when it comes to the subject.

The largest paint company out there is ICI/Dulux/Glidden and they spend very large amounts of money on R&D every year to create a good product. Guess what paint they sell at HD? Glidden...

Brand doesnt have nearly as much to do with paint quality as does the line of paint you buy(quality) and the actual tint base of the material.

There was a figure of $1 per floor sqft somewhere above....That price is not really applicable in a house with flooring down and furnished

If you have 1000sqft or more figure .50 per sqft

You should be willing to pay about 50 cents per actual painted square foot.
10X5 wall = 50 sqft.....X.50= $25 labor and materials

If anybody has any questions shoot me a PM and ill help you out or guide you in the right direction when painting or purchasing paint

slideways2004
01-31-2011, 08:23 PM
Sherwinn Williams is a little more expensive but it covers way better than Lowes or HD paint. Check out the Universal Khaki and Sawmill at SW, I just painted one of my investment houses those colors and it looks really good.

Monarch is cheaper than SW and is also a good quality paint that covers really good.:thumb:

Yes! I've used Monarch before and its really great.

I hear SW is better than Monarch so I would just go that route. SW+ diy

SuperSpud
02-04-2011, 12:12 PM
I had two people give me estimates the day I closed on the house. picked one and the next day had the whole interior painted in 8 hours.

crew did an AMAZING job, sherwin williams paint, perfectly matched.... only charged me $1,000. I gave them a $100 tip when they finished b/c they did such a good quick job.

owned the house for less than 24 hours and got it all painted, woo!

have since settled in, bought a 55" LED tv which is now mounted in the living room.... i LOVE owning a house. its so quiet at night, no neighbors being loud as fuck upstairs or next door.

Texas Tacoma
02-04-2011, 01:06 PM
The things a coat a paint will do :thumb: glad youre happy with your new home with all these "why you should own a home" threads around here.

go!tc
02-04-2011, 07:29 PM
wish I saw this earlier, I would have given you my uncles number he does fantastic work. Just make sure that they use oil based paint for the kitchen and bathrooms. All the other rooms can be water based but I prefer oil throughout the house gives the paint a better look.

tjwrnglr
02-05-2011, 12:03 AM
I had two people give me estimates the day I closed on the house. picked one and the next day had the whole interior painted in 8 hours.

crew did an AMAZING job, sherwin williams paint, perfectly matched.... only charged me $1,000. I gave them a $100 tip when they finished b/c they did such a good quick job.

owned the house for less than 24 hours and got it all painted, woo!

have since settled in, bought a 55" LED tv which is now mounted in the living room.... i LOVE owning a house. its so quiet at night, no neighbors being loud as fuck upstairs or next door.

Only $1000? Ouch

yumbeef
02-05-2011, 09:06 AM
Only $1000? Ouch

it doesn't seem like OP minds dropping some coin. he's got his house painted and he seems satisified with results. congrats on getting the house painted.

DC
02-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Only $1000? Ouch

I've got a 1600 sq foot home that cost maybe $600 at the MOST to paint. Now granted I painted both bathrooms by myself, but each would have cost maybe an additional $50-$75 each if I'd paid someone else. Factor in paint costs and I'm sure the total cost approaches very close to $1000.

Karkarsof
04-25-2013, 05:27 PM
Hi,

I have a house, around 6400 sqft. Interior needs to be painted. Is anyone can assist me.

Thank you

thanks for the replies guys.

the house is a 2001 and actually has fresh paint on the interior, but its just not my style.... I want to make it "my house".

that being said, the walls are in great shape (as is the rest of the house). everything is like new, so no prep work.

also, the current color of the walls is lighter than the colors I picked, so there isnt any need for primer. I am only painting the sheetrock, not cabinets, doors or trim, so it will be a very simple project.

I have several copies of the color samples I want my house to be (one for living, halls, kitchen, dining room and rooms, another for the two bathrooms) so depending on which way I go, I will either give the samples to the crew so they can get the paint, or I will go buy it myself.

as for BRAND of paint, the samples are martha stewart living paint, which is $27 a gallon from home depot. However, I plan to just go to either a Sherwin Williams or even home depot, have them color match it, then go with a cheaper brand. I am not going to get the cheapest option, but certainly am not going to get the most expensive.

Both crews I have coming to give me estimates were recommended by people I know who have used them before so I am not worried about being scammed, just wanted some feedback from people who have done this before.

BigdawgR6
04-25-2013, 05:54 PM
Hi,

I have a house, around 6400 sqft. Interior needs to be painted. Is anyone can assist me.

Thank you

:fthat:

tit$
04-25-2013, 08:40 PM
Hi,

Thank you

My house is 16400 sq ft. Send me a money order and I'll send you one back for more.

FbodTrek
04-25-2013, 09:01 PM
buy paint and rollers, profit?

volksnuts
04-26-2013, 05:47 AM
I was like Whoa! yumbeef is back..... then I noticed this was an old thread

CandymanVending
04-27-2013, 03:23 PM
I painted the interior of houses before its a breeze and you learn a new skill. Take that. take a few pictures of your work and go paint your neighbors houses and charge $1000.

ETB4U
04-27-2013, 07:11 PM
Or bump a two year old thread

SuperSpud
06-04-2013, 09:12 PM
Lol holy shit, back from the dead.

I have since reprinted my kitchen / dining area a different color and i must say, have zero regrets dropping the $1,000 to have someone else paint the house when I got it. It took me all day to paint just the tiny section I did.... F that noise...