PDA

View Full Version : Where to get cross drilled rotors turned?

IgotThatWenis
10-25-2010, 08:52 PM
I'm about to do my brakes and I wanted to see if any one knows of a place that will turn cross drilled rotors? I've only used the rotors for about 40k miles, but I can feel that the surface of the rotors aren't completely flat and figured I could get them turned.

Anybody know of a place?

PeteSi
10-25-2010, 08:54 PM
at tha sto'

Erik_EGK
10-25-2010, 08:55 PM
lol

Why You Mad
10-25-2010, 08:56 PM
most places won't.

JDMikee
10-25-2010, 09:06 PM
i work at o'reillys and we do them.

rg3777
10-25-2010, 09:37 PM
Any brake lathe can machine slotted, drilled, dimpled rotors. If a person tells you they don't do it, its because they either have never done it before, they are scared to fuck up, or have fucked up. As long as they are machined in small increments then there isn't really much to worry about.

blazesxt
10-26-2010, 05:52 AM
what brand are they? get new ones and dont get that brand. slotted rotors are supposed to resist *warp*ing...but no you cant cut em on the lathe. theyll either destroy the tooth on the lathe (which isnt that expensive to replace) or youll just chip the rotor. some shops will resurface slotted/drilled rotors, but many will not because the slots/holes damage the tip of the instrument that they use to resurface rotors. You may also want to get new pads while you are at it, because a *warped* rotor isn't really warped..It is actually just an uneven distribution of brake pad material built up on the rotor.

IgotThatWenis
10-26-2010, 07:08 AM
i work at o'reillys and we do them.

I'm definitely going to try o'reilys, which one do you work at?

what brand are they? get new ones and dont get that brand. slotted rotors are supposed to resist *warp*ing...but no you cant cut em on the lathe. theyll either destroy the tooth on the lathe (which isnt that expensive to replace) or youll just chip the rotor. some shops will resurface slotted/drilled rotors, but many will not because the slots/holes damage the tip of the instrument that they use to resurface rotors. You may also want to get new pads while you are at it, because a *warped* rotor isn't really warped..It is actually just an uneven distribution of brake pad material built up on the rotor.

They are the factory mercedes rotors, they aren't warped but i can feel slight grooves on the surface of the rotors. My rear rotors aren't cross drilled, but are completely flat.

rg3777
10-26-2010, 07:36 PM
Factory Mercedes rotors are supposed to be replaced not machined, according to dealers, but people do it anyways. I do Mercedes and Corvette rotors almost everyday and the teeth on the lathe never get destroyed and the rotors never come out chipped. If you machine them and break the tooth or chip the rotor you're probably taking off too much at once.

IgotThatWenis
10-27-2010, 11:33 AM
I just checked with my local o'rileys and they told me that they do not turn cross drilled rotors.

Factory Mercedes rotors are supposed to be replaced not machined, according to dealers, but people do it anyways. I do Mercedes and Corvette rotors almost everyday and the teeth on the lathe never get destroyed and the rotors never come out chipped. If you machine them and break the tooth or chip the rotor you're probably taking off too much at once.

Where is your shop? I plan on doing my brake job saturday, would you be available to do it that day?

superdave80
10-27-2010, 02:47 PM

lmk where ur located i need to do mine too

IgotThatWenis
10-28-2010, 08:53 PM
So does any one else know where I can get cross drilled rotors turned?

superdave80
11-02-2010, 09:39 AM
So does any one else know where I can get cross drilled rotors turned?

you've been pm em

oh forgot to mention he a master mech