PDA

View Full Version : Is this what you call brake corrosion? or oxidation?

NikkaPleez
10-23-2010, 06:49 PM
I was wondering why these brakes look like this. Is this something I should be concerned about?

http://i52.tinypic.com/2wqskgi.jpg

NikkaPleez
10-23-2010, 07:00 PM
The calipers I ment.

icemanimports
10-24-2010, 07:51 AM
from this picture its hard to tell what you are asking about, but if you are asking about the whitish scale build up on the caliper its not that big a deal. if you are saying that you think something else is wrong then idk.

DoPiE
10-24-2010, 08:09 AM
are you having a pulling or are they getting hotter than normal. if not than you have no problem right now.

NikkaPleez
10-24-2010, 02:54 PM
from this picture its hard to tell what you are asking about, but if you are asking about the whitish scale build up on the caliper its not that big a deal. if you are saying that you think something else is wrong then idk.

Sorry for not being more specific but yes, it's the white build up on the calipers. It's the same on all four of them.

Dopie, what do you mean exactly by "pulling"? Sorry, I'm still a big car noob. This isn't exactly my car, but a used car that i'm testing out. The brakes do feel and sound sorta funny. There's noise coming from them when i'm braking from a slow speed, I wouldn't say its squealing, it sounds more like its rubbing on something. (hope that made sense) More like a creaking? It sounds fine when braking from high speeds though. Car only has 17k miles on it and no history of accidents from carfax or autocheck.

inlinesix
10-25-2010, 03:21 AM
It's just oxidation from water and junk. Nothing to really worry about. What kind of car is it?

hardnutz
10-25-2010, 06:08 AM
over-spray from rim cleaner?

icemanimports
10-25-2010, 09:01 AM
alright since you cleared up what you were asking. the white flaky build up on the caliper is oxidized calcium from hard water that solidified when you washed your wheels last, probably drove before they were all the way dry and the calcium in the tap water just caked up like that.

NikkaPleez
10-26-2010, 08:39 PM
Thanks for clearing that up icemanimports.

Inlinesix, it's a lexus is350.

atrdnut, I was thinking the same. Braking still feels strong and solid, it's just the noise.