PDA

View Full Version : control arm bushings

icemanimports
10-08-2010, 01:50 PM
normally on suspension stuff i give advise, so here is a chance to pay it back. how do you all get your lower CA bushings out on a 2000 civic si em1. the techs at my local honda said they use a press die and a sledge to pound it out since you cant get it under a press. they also mentioned that you cannot use the torch method because the arms will warp.

what do you guys do?

what about a ball joint press (c-clamp style)?

Ek_KiD
10-08-2010, 04:28 PM
idk man there kinda just stuck in there, your best bet would be to just by a new control arm(s). Considering if the bushings are bad, the control arm is too

just my .02...

icemanimports
10-08-2010, 04:53 PM
nah. mainly im wanting them out so i can put in poly's. plus they are not exactly something that "goes out" (the lca's)

pauldarmour
10-12-2010, 05:59 AM
are your lca's alot different from a DA's? Cause if they aren't, I'll ask the dude who pressed mine out and see what he says.

icemanimports
10-12-2010, 06:39 PM
are your lca's alot different from a DA's? Cause if they aren't, I'll ask the dude who pressed mine out and see what he says.

if the DA is a two piece design then yes. mine are a one piece A arm style lca so i had to do it with a hammer, thanx all for the help.

icemanimports
10-14-2010, 05:45 PM
let it be known that in order to replace all 3 bushings in the control arm you need to order both a CA kit and a shock kit from energy suspension.

AztecRacer
10-15-2010, 05:27 AM
when i did mine, I had to burn out a couple of bushings then use a air hammer to take the sleeve out. I was able to get one out with a press, but not every one has one in there garage.

icemanimports
10-15-2010, 05:36 AM
already succeeded in getting them out. at least for the EM1 SI front LCA's the fastest least dangerous way (for the control arm) to get them out was to get a 27mm thin wall socket or a thin wall 1 1/16inch socket and place it over the bushing. this should lineup almost exactly with the sleeve. then with the lca in a vice good and tight, wack the hell out of it with a 4lb sledge and they pop right out.took me like 10 min for all four bushings.

BATMANwoohoo
01-07-2011, 09:52 PM
i used a 3lb sledge over it and pounded with a 10lb. sprayed with wd40 seemed to help a little.

pat.94_DC2
01-14-2011, 03:49 PM
all my shock bushings are worn..so are my trailing arm ones..should I just order a master set?

icemanimports
01-16-2011, 05:14 PM
yes. you can always save the ones for later that are not blown out right now. i am doing a full master set on a crx right now and so far its made a huge diff.
the other option for some of the bushings (trailing arms and motor mounts for sure) is to fill them your self with 2 part urethane liquid. (hardens to be come a solid mount that cant pull out or snap its zips like energy inserts can)

pat.94_DC2
01-17-2011, 12:48 AM
yes. you can always save the ones for later that are not blown out right now. i am doing a full master set on a crx right now and so far its made a huge diff.
the other option for some of the bushings (trailing arms and motor mounts for sure) is to fill them your self with 2 part urethane liquid. (hardens to be come a solid mount that cant pull out or snap its zips like energy inserts can)

I just ordered master set and trailing arm set and mudflaps for 135 shipped! yessss !!!!

icemanimports
01-17-2011, 08:09 AM
not bad
the master kit for my em1 was like 225 alone.
the retail on the crx kit was 285

americanwit
02-13-2011, 02:54 PM
air hammer

icemanimports
02-19-2011, 12:59 PM
^^ did you see when this was last posted in? did you read the last post i made? saying how i was done already and had posted a small write up?
anyways an airhammer is a great idea, saddly most people do not have immediate access to an air compressor much less an airhammer/chisel.

on a side note of control arms i just put on some new buddyclub P1 rear LCA's in place of my old blox units. let me say, most amazing 200 bucks ive spent on suspension components ever. they rid me of an annoying squeak, they smoothed out the ride over train tracks and other bumpy surfaces, made sliding threw corners absolutely awesome. they were super easy to install (much easier than getting the cheap blox units out). anyways must say super cool and look fly as hell.
want a pair pm me. ek and eg only.

pat.94_DC2
02-19-2011, 01:59 PM
ok I know this is old thread but, I still can't deside if I want to put my es bushings into stock control arms or into my blox...I don't care for the color of em and I can't figure out if the es need trimming or not ..es bushings need trimming to fit blox rear lcas? should I just sell blox and put es in stock lcas?

rage
02-19-2011, 03:00 PM
why don't you guys just get some sphericals/heims? bushings are stupid and can bind

icemanimports
02-19-2011, 04:07 PM
rage do you ever say constructive things.

sphereical bushings can bind as well, just not as likely. addtionally they shake your teeth out, i used to ride around in my buddies rsx that had them all the way around and fu.ck they are ruff. another problem with spherical bushings is that they cost a small fortune. the f7 lca's alone are 4 times more than blox units and almost 2x what my buddy club pieces cost. if you throw in the cost of just a pair of trailing arm spherical bushings would be another 215-250 depending on the brand so just right there you spend about 650. do the front end and you are looking at over 1000 bucks, so for a street car these are no where near practical. also they have service intervals to maintain proper long term operation. meaning you will spend more time greasing and lubing your dam bushings than driving.

rage
02-19-2011, 04:54 PM
usually automotive grade heims are self lubricating, and actually alot of cars come stock with heim jointed endlinks.. so maybe you should inform them of their unreliability...? if cost is an issue here, you could always look into making your own links, its not rocket science

pat.94_DC2
02-19-2011, 09:09 PM
I already have a es master bushing set.so should I just put the bushings in my old oem lcas? ..until I get some better lcas

icemanimports
02-20-2011, 06:11 AM
rage. i already got heim endlinks. i just posted that. and the only type of automotive grade spherical bearings that are "self lubricating" are the Teflon lined ones. they cost about 3 times that of a regular heim joint and yes they are used in high-end kits for lcas and other bushing apps but those kits again are running well over $1000, so it really boils down to practicality. and realistically spherical's dont make sense in most applications for a car thats not gonna be tracked regularly. in the case of endlinks like blox and asr they do make sense because they are such a small component that its no big deal to grease them every now and then. just fyi both blox and asr endlinks have grease zircs installed from the factory meaning they expect you to occasionally lube them up.

rage
02-20-2011, 09:37 AM
having the zerk fitting is a bad sign that they probably aren't made for automotive use, i'd agree though that they aren't practical unless you heavily track it, but i guess i just don't understand why you would get sphericals on some LCA's, but wouldn't do the rest of the suspension, its all or nothing!!

pat.94_DC2
02-20-2011, 01:10 PM
I already have a es master bushing set.so should I just put the bushings in my old oem lcas? ..until I get some better lcas

icemanimports
02-20-2011, 05:45 PM
yeah. i would just put the bushings in your oem's for now.
if you are gonna buy aftermarket lca's later save up to get skunk2 poly lca's or for 30 bucks less you can get the buddyclub ones so you got options for the poly lca's

pat.94_DC2
02-20-2011, 09:43 PM
thanks

Honda929
02-22-2011, 08:27 AM
Good thread. Just read through it. :thumb: