PDA

View Full Version : hyraulic press

pauldarmour
09-27-2010, 10:55 AM
Ok guys I'm replacing all my stock bushings with poly bushings and was wondering if there is anyone affiliated with H-I that does this. I leave on the Southeast side so if anyone knows of any shop I would appreciate it.

icemanimports
09-27-2010, 11:33 AM
man your best bet would be to just go up to a shop near by and ask them to do it. usually if you bring them the pieces to press out a shop shouldnt charge you more than $10 per arm or so, if you have 4 arms to do count on it being closer to 50.
this is what i used to charge when i lived in houston.

pauldarmour
09-27-2010, 11:55 AM
ok thanks dude I'll look for one... a reason I was asking is because I broke a front wheel stud not to long ago and I tool it to NTD and the charged me $60 to press out the spindle from the hub and thats with me taking the whole hub/spindle assemble off the car..... long story short I just dont want to get ripped off

icemanimports
09-27-2010, 12:37 PM
yah i would shy away from those types of places for press work, they usually do charge to much. if you live near SJC central go to the auto department and ask them if they would do it for a donation to the school (they can except payment).

pauldarmour
09-27-2010, 12:40 PM
ok... I dont live near there but my macroeconomics class is online and assigned to central so I might drop them off and go to some tutoring while I'm over there.

icemanimports
09-27-2010, 12:46 PM
kool its in the back on the farside of the campus ask for Mr. castio or Mr. Norman.
might just want to call first and tell them you are a student at the school and that you need
some press work done.

pauldarmour
09-29-2010, 03:40 PM
I called the school a couple of times and both of the teachers were away so my old man took the pieces needing pressing: front and rear lower control arms and the other front piece, to a mechanic that used to work on his trucks..... charged me 65 to press them all out..... not sure if it was worth it but its done and all I have to do is install the new poly bushing and call it a day..... thanks again iceman

icemanimports
09-29-2010, 05:32 PM
I called the school a couple of times and both of the teachers were away so my old man took the pieces needing pressing: front and rear lower control arms and the other front piece, to a mechanic that used to work on his trucks..... charged me 65 to press them all out..... not sure if it was worth it but its done and all I have to do is install the new poly bushing and call it a day..... thanks again iceman

awesome deal man. that sounds like he helped ya out pretty good. dont forget that you will need to press the pollys back in unless you are good with a propane torch, as they fit really tight. also when you do put them back in dont forget to grease those ho's or else they will creak and groan all the freakin time and you will go crazy.

pauldarmour
09-29-2010, 07:15 PM
I thought the poly bushing could be pressed in by hand? are they that hard? do you think I can use my drill press as hand press( obviously off)....