PDA

View Full Version : new etd front traction bar

pauldarmour
06-22-2010, 07:01 AM
Alright guys I will take any and all help. Here is the situation, I just installed a new ETD front traction bar and I pulled out of the garage and boom the cv shaft cam undone. It did not break it came undone from what I would say is the inboard boot. So my question is, is this a suspension related problem, like if I don't have the radius arms set at the correct position could they be pulling the steering knuckle out? Can some one give a length as to what the radius arms should be at, or a correct way to set them.

icemanimports
06-22-2010, 07:11 AM
they should not be exerting tension forces on your control arms. that said, the way to get the right length is to take them out. and allow the suspension to settle into its stock spot, then measure the distance from the point your radius arms mount to the point the mount on the cross bar. this length plus or minus .2 inch is what you should set them to.

pauldarmour
06-22-2010, 07:30 AM
ok, so just to be sure I remove the radius arms, is this with the vehicle on or off the ground(I'm sure it's off but just to be sure), and measure the distance with the suspension at its stock spot and the radius arms should be set at that length +/- .2inches

icemanimports
06-22-2010, 06:31 PM
pretty much it. should prevent any forward/backward bind and thus should not cause your cv joints to do funny things.

pauldarmour
06-22-2010, 10:00 PM
thanks dude for all the information....

icemanimports
06-23-2010, 05:18 AM
no prob. glad i could help. any other questions just shoot me a PM.

pauldarmour
06-24-2010, 10:48 PM
so I did as you stated and the problem still exists, that'3 3 drivers side cv chafts that I have broken know. So I am going to start over fresh. I blew my b18a that was origanlly in my car and decided to swap in a jdm b18b using my ys1 tranny that was already had in the car. Maybe a couple thousand miles before b18a blew I replaced the cv shafts with no problem and now I have no ideal whats going on. With the tranny out i replaced the clutch alon with a new lighter flywheel, installing and torqueing everything to specifications. And as stated earlier I also installed the new etd front traction bar. With the engine out I also replace the rack in pinion and looped so that I could do away with all of the power steering components. So my question is what could be the possible problem that is causing the cv shafts to break?