PDA

View Full Version : Bike riders advide: I want to get a bike

Pitlab77
06-09-2010, 10:59 AM
As some of you know I am a runner, and love to poke fun a bike riders (those who cant run bike, etc...).

I do like bikes though and want to diversify my training by adding some cycling to my work outs. I also love hiking and camping and would love to take a bike out to the state parks I frequent.

I am looking for a good quality bike that can take the abuse and not have the wheels bend (I know it will happen, but I do not want things that are as a malleable as aluminum foil) derailers(sp?) fail, etc. I have gone to a few bike shops and I understand that I will have to pay to play but keep in mind I like running and will be doing that 90% of the time. So I guess that puts me in the used bike market.

What or where can I look for decent used bikes. And what should I look for based on what I want.

What I want
-MTB
-Hardtail
-The fewer speeds, but no i do not want a fixed speed for trails
-Disc brakes if I can, but probably not at the price range I want
-I really do not want to spend more than 200 dollars, as 400 dollar entry level bikes in my eyes are taking away 4~5 pairs of running shoes. Enough to keep me running for 1 year.

Slim ThuG
06-09-2010, 11:58 AM
how tall are you?

Pitlab77
06-09-2010, 12:47 PM
5 9 1/2 to 5 10 depends

32 in inseam

The Diesel
06-10-2010, 08:49 PM
200? Good luck. Best bet is to get an old ass road bike and make it a single speed, not a fixie, and stay on the pavement.

If you want a mtb i would look to spend more cause shit breaks and it never breaks when your just rollin around, it breaks when your going fast or downhill. You could probably find a mtb frame for 200 and then build it as a single speed with rigid fork and pick up some used brakes somewhere, i might even have some layin around. IMO, the cheapest bikes that are pieced together with used parts are the coolest.
EDIT: careful, i know runners who quit running because they get addicted to riding.

Texas Tacoma
06-11-2010, 08:03 AM
I really do not want to spend more than 200 dollars, as 400 dollar entry level bikes in my eyes are taking away 4~5 pairs of running shoes. Enough to keep me running for 1 year.

:duh:

Spend $500 and you can get a decent brand new hard tail.

DDCD
06-26-2010, 02:23 PM
I picked up my Raleigh hardtail with disc breaks for $300...it's bright orange and no one wanted it so I got it cheap. Try to pick up one during the end of model year deals.

mike86ttype
06-26-2010, 09:36 PM
look 4 1 as well. trying 2 do a tri. craigslist has a bunch but what is a decent brand for under 300. what r the down falls 2 older bikes 80s 90s