PDA

View Full Version : Hitting an 8 minute mile

Pages : [1] 2

Replica
05-24-2010, 11:03 AM
My goal is running an 8-9 minute mile. I just got a baseline run of 1 mile in 16:12 minutes on a treadmill with a 0.9 incline. I alternated between a 3 MPH walk and 4.2 MPH jog. This was about my limit. So it's obvious I have a lot of work to do. Any suggestions on training? Form? Breathing? Etc?

rodneeking
05-24-2010, 11:10 AM
When you run, keep your back straight to keep a nice smooth breathing pattern going. Breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth. I personally try to get a breathing pattern while I stretch so I’m prepared to breathe that way while I run. It helps so you aren’t trying to figure it out as you run and waste your breathe trying to figure it out and you get tired faster. If you’re going to start running daily, try to keep track of the miles you’ll be putting on your running shoes because you’ll go through shoes faster as you add more miles to your running sessions. Shoes play a big role on your form and how long you’ll be able to run. Everything else is more or less on your will power to get a better time/distance etc… Good luck man!

Replica
05-24-2010, 11:12 AM
I'll try that breathing stuff. I've been using these old school Reeboks to run in. They seem ok. I've got some Tiger Assics as well, but I think the Reeboks are a better shoe for running. Any cheap shoe suggestions?

http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0/c5/a/AAAAAhg-Tv4AAAAAAMWqOA.jpg

knightjustice
05-24-2010, 11:21 AM
you didnt pick up running tips while on the military bases? lol

Replica
05-24-2010, 11:27 AM
you didnt pick up running tips while on the military bases? lol
No, I was too busy controlling my teen angst.

oncearunner
05-24-2010, 12:27 PM
I used to run ALOT in high school (hence my name), up to80 miles/week. Breath in/out your nose for as long as you can. Switching to your mouth too early can cause you to hyperventilate, making your heart beat too fast and slowing you down. There have been alot of studies done on this subject.

Shoes, being a skinny ectomorph I was able to run barefoot alot (best way to run period) or in flat, very lightweight shoes. A heavier person such as yourself should wear more padded shoes, I would go to a running shoe specific store like Fleet Feet. Their employees are trained specifically to help people find the correct running shoe, not everyone is the same in the way their foot hits the ground (pronators/supinators).

Training wise, i am not very well versed on training people like you, but everything ive read has been to take it slow and start out jogging/walking first and work your way up. Check out runnersworld.com for some helpful tips. I would like to say running outside is much better for you physchologically than running on a treadmill. Being outdoors with the fresh air (not air-conditioned), wind blowing, people around, will give you more motivation to work harder.
Good luck!!

Replica
05-24-2010, 12:30 PM
lol, I'm not that heavy. 190 and I'm 5'7-5'8 or so. Am I even classified as a Clydesdale?

Thanks for the advice though. I'm for sure going to work on breathing.

oncearunner
05-24-2010, 12:36 PM
lol, I'm not that heavy. 190 and I'm 5'7-5'8 or so. Am I even classified as a Clydesdale?

Well, I was 6'1'' 145 at my racing weight. lol:hsrun:

Replica
05-24-2010, 12:42 PM
Well, I was 6'1'' 145 at my racing weight. lol:hsrun:
That's super light. How fast were you doing a mile? What were some of your longest runs?

Texas Tacoma
05-24-2010, 12:58 PM
If youre just starting out with running, Id reccomend consistency over anything else (every other day atleast). At first its the most miserable thing in the world but once your clothes feel looser and you shed some pounds, it'll feel great.

_lb
05-24-2010, 01:07 PM

Damn, you are a fat ass!

Replica
05-24-2010, 01:07 PM
Damn, you are a fat ass!
I don't really think so. But ok. :2thumbs:

oncearunner
05-24-2010, 01:09 PM
That's super light. How fast were you doing a mile? What were some of your longest runs?

ran a 435 mile, 957 two mile as a freshman in high school, ran into a bunch of injuries and finished HS running a 1540 for 5k as ajunior.

longest timed run was 2hrs 15 minutes (prolly 8:30 pace). Longest length run for sure was 15 miles. Most runs were between 8-12 miles at 7-730/mile pace.

If you stay consistent and put in the hard work. You will reach your goal. Aim for the stars, cuz even if you miss, you'll land among the clouds!!

Replica
05-24-2010, 01:11 PM
Wow, a 4:35 minute mile is hauling ass.

70Charger
05-24-2010, 01:17 PM
Wow, a 4:35 minute mile is hauling ass.

nga runnin' from the po-lice

taz394
05-24-2010, 01:20 PM
i hit a mile in 5 minutes and 40 secs lol ...

atleast im faster on foot

TAKE THAT AMERICAN MUSCLEMAN !

knightjustice
05-24-2010, 01:54 PM
fastest i ever done was 7min 1 mile :[

Jeebus
05-24-2010, 02:05 PM
That really doesn't seem hard. I did some running back in August, hadn't ran or been physically active for years plus I'm a smoker. Started off doing 1-12 minute miles and after 2 months or so I was able to knock out 2 miles in right under 20 minutes. I stopped doing so much cardio since then so last week I tried and was only able to run .75 and it took almost 10 minutes:gonk:

HPorkchopD
05-24-2010, 02:05 PM
Yeah my fastest 5k was like 33 mins lol.

HPorkchopD
05-24-2010, 02:10 PM
With it being summer, and me being lazy...I hate running. I sweat enough as it is...mostly because Im fat, but I can be sitting in a car, AC full blast and my back will be sweating.

I didnt mind running a year ago and was doing 2 miles in about 19 mins at my peak. Not bad for a 6'2 260lb guy.

Replica
05-24-2010, 02:11 PM
That really doesn't seem hard. I did some running back in August, hadn't ran or been physically active for years plus I'm a smoker. Started off doing 1-12 minute miles and after 2 months or so I was able to knock out 2 miles in right under 20 minutes. I stopped doing so much cardio since then so last week I tried and was only able to run .75 and it took almost 10 minutes:gonk:
This was literally my first day running. I usually do weights and the elliptical for cardio. I think once my body adjusts to it, I'll be running "normal" times. I'll probably run another mile when I get home. Couldn't hurt.
With it being summer, and me being lazy...I hate running. I sweat enough as it is...mostly because Im fat, but I can be sitting in a car, AC full blast and my back will be sweating.

I didnt mind running a year ago and was doing 2 miles in about 19 mins at my peak. Not bad for a 6'2 260lb guy.
I don't look particularly overweight. I probably need to lose about 20 lbs. My shoulders are more broad than most.

Yeah, a 10 minute mile sounds decent.

HPorkchopD
05-24-2010, 02:14 PM
I look worse now with my weight than I did before I lost it. Ive gained most of it back.

Plus I feel like shit. Ive started eating better, but not good like I was before. I keep procrastinating about getting off and running/riding the bike after work, and now that its gotten so damned hot, Im like F that.

I wouldnt mind bulking up my muscle, but Ive got to lose some weight before I hit the gym. I wonder how many times Ill post that excuse before I actually do something.

Replica
05-24-2010, 02:16 PM
I look worse now with my weight than I did before I lost it. Ive gained most of it back.

Plus I feel like shit. Ive started eating better, but not good like I was before. I keep procrastinating about getting off and running/riding the bike after work, and now that its gotten so damned hot, Im like F that.
A few minutes in the sun saves a few years in the grave.

Hit the Gilruth. Nice AC and treadmills in there.

HPorkchopD
05-24-2010, 02:17 PM
I really prefer running outdoors. On a treadmill I feel like I pound the thing with my feet.

Replica
05-24-2010, 02:18 PM
I really prefer running outdoors. On a treadmill I feel like I pound the thing with my feet.
The flex of the treadmill makes for painless running.

HPorkchopD
05-24-2010, 02:21 PM
Not really a pain factor as much as a stomping factor. It sounds like Im crushing the treadmills ass.

Replica
05-24-2010, 02:22 PM
Not really a pain factor as much as a stomping factor. It sounds like Im crushing the treadmills ass.
Fk that treadmill!

mr toolio
05-24-2010, 02:23 PM
Rep, what I like to do when I'm on the threadmill is focus on a certain point. I look at the same tree across the street from the gym when I'm running on the TM.. dont look right, dont look left, dont watch tv, dont check the time, etc.. just concentrate.

What I have done to help my stamina and endurance was HIIT I put 30 mins on the treadmill then walk fast, 3.8mph at 1.0 incline for 4 mins then run at 7.5 for 1 min. I do that 5 times. Eventually you start feeling less tired after that 1 min and you can go for 2-4 mins at a time. Good luck dude!

HPorkchopD
05-24-2010, 02:26 PM
Do yall run with or without music? I like listening when I run, but I feel like I do better without music.

Replica
05-24-2010, 02:36 PM
I watch the news when I'm walking, then zone out when I run.

texasteeth
05-24-2010, 05:13 PM
Lol i can barely do 20 minutes

MoToHeAd125
05-24-2010, 09:58 PM
I try to run 7-10 miles a week. I started up again in feb with just a mile avg 5 mph speed. Tried to slowly increase that up too 3. Then i mix it up by playing some soccer with friends, and i must say the combination has been paying off. The other day i ran for 30 mins straight bout 3.5 miles on speed intervals. Varied from 3.8 up to 6.4. Different every minute. The breathing thing as mentioned earlier really helped. I want to be able to do 5 straight b4 im happy, then i should be able to smoke all my friends when we play soccer :D

rodneeking
05-25-2010, 06:58 AM
Do yall run with or without music? I like listening when I run, but I feel like I do better without music.

I've gotta have my ipod when i run, music helps keep my mind off of the run.

Hype
05-25-2010, 07:21 AM
My fastest 3 mile was 18:26. Right now I sit at about 21:30.

Marine Corps and there damn physical test.

Limeade
05-25-2010, 05:26 PM
Go get good shoes, go to a running store where they will fit you for the proper shoe.

Run Run Run, stop and Run some more.

I'm not a great runner but I run a 1.5 mile in the 10 minute range. However before getting there I ran it in like 20+ minutes, I lost 55 lbs learning how to run. The trick is just to run until you have to stop, could be a quarter mile, could be 100 yards, but just keep doing it and the intervals will start to change, you'l begin to run more than you walk.

Also unless you are a pro athlete, get the air in you lungs the best way you know how, just don't breathe too fast. If you get a cramp ball your hand into a fist and jam it under your ribs, it'll go away.

dsm2Girl
05-25-2010, 07:00 PM
yeah get some good running shoes its really important dont get anything too flator too heavy, a shoe with good support for u. maybe even try a insole depending on how u feel the shoe itself, but also depends on if ull be running outdoors or on a treadmill. for me i hate treadmills its nothing compared to actually running outdoors, but whatever suits u best:)

HPorkchopD
05-25-2010, 10:28 PM
I made the mistake of running a 5k (lol like its a long distance) in Feb after not running since May. Well needless to say my final time was like 33 and I was beat. I didnt stretch enough before or after and also cramped in my thighs about 1/2 way through. I could barely walk for 2 days afterward. Man it sucked.

Replica
05-26-2010, 07:58 AM
Ran again last night. I picked my speed up to 5 mph and would only slow down to 3.5 when I was tired. Feels good to build up stamina.

HPorkchopD
05-26-2010, 08:04 AM
Im guessing youre judging by the speed on the treadmill?

Replica
05-26-2010, 08:06 AM
Im guessing youre judging by the speed on the treadmill?
Yep. I'm sure it's not accurate, but it's at least relative.

HPorkchopD
05-26-2010, 08:11 AM
I hear ya. No telling how slow I run. I tried running with the gf awhile back...but damn her pace is that of a snail. BUT she does keep a steady pace and can run a 10k.

Hype
05-26-2010, 08:44 AM

Scratch that ran it in 20:17 this morning.

Texas Tacoma
05-26-2010, 08:45 AM
I don't look particularly overweight. I probably need to lose about 20 lbs.

This makes no sense.

But hey that doesnt mean to stop running, remember what I said, consistency.

Replica
05-26-2010, 12:21 PM
So I'm checking out some shoes here. Does ASIC make a good running shoe? Are they as light as the Tigers? Is a "gel" shoe bad? I know gel inserts have a bad reputation when it comes to biking shorts, does that apply for shoes as well? Is there much of a difference between Trail, Racing, and Neutral? These seem ok, and cheap.

http://www.runningshoes.com/running/control/product/~product_id=AG906N

al
05-26-2010, 12:47 PM
My personal best in high school was 5:15 minute mile. I'm no track star by any means, and at the age of 33 I've been reduced to 10 minute miles. Things that helped me:

- find that stride. You might even find a bigger step and a faster pace more efficient, allowing you to go faster for a longer period of time.
- smoothen your steps to reduce bounce, you are wasting energy when you elevate your body
- wear tight short shorts, it impresses the ladies and you will get the vagine

MoToHeAd125
05-26-2010, 07:16 PM
So I'm checking out some shoes here. Does ASIC make a good running shoe? Are they as light as the Tigers? Is a "gel" shoe bad? I know gel inserts have a bad reputation when it comes to biking shorts, does that apply for shoes as well? Is there much of a difference between Trail, Racing, and Neutral? These seem ok, and cheap.

Not familiar with that particular model but,

I had a pair of pumas and then got a pair of asics with the gel inserts last summer. Lets just say i love my asics, they are super comfy and are good at distributing shock throughout the whole shoe so your foot doesn't hurt. I def recommend them. I could never run too far with the pumas cuz my ankles would start hurting (flat footed) but the asics cleared that up nice.

jaxwithanx
05-26-2010, 07:57 PM

Go to Luke's Locker, get your foot arch and pronation checked and get a pair of shoes recommended. Knowing those two things will help you in your quest for comfortable shoes. But to tell you the truth, if you are only running a mile or so every few days, just get a good comfortable pair of Nike's that fit your foot snug and comfortable and have at it. You only really need to start worrying about getting specialized shoes from specialized companies when you are going on 3 mile and up treks a few times a week. Or if you happen to be one of those people with zero foot arch and severe pronation issues (odds say you aren't).

You also aren't heavy enough to worry about destroying your legs. Sometimes if you have a bunch of extra weight, and especially those at an advanced age, you need to try and get off some pounds through diet, swimming, ellipticals....anything that keeps the newfound stress off your feet and legs for the most part. But you are at an acceptable weight to go ahead and run that mile or so several times a week....just don't overdo it on a whim and take yourself out of commission for a week. It will be really hard to get the motor revving again.

dsm2Girl
05-26-2010, 09:28 PM

Idk much about the tiger but i do know the kayano 16 is a really good shoe it has great support & isnt too heavy. Its pricey but its worth it if ur really into runing & having something good to run in it will also last. If u want something light try a nike like the lunarlite, or the 5.0 good shoes also.

catharsis
05-29-2010, 09:03 AM
i started really being motivated to lose weight 3 months ago. prior to that, a year ago i was running 1.5 miles and wanting to kill myself by the end of it in about 28 minutes (horrible i know).

but as someone who was (and kind of is) out of shape, with an irregular heartbeat and asthma, i feel i've gotten much better. progress has been made so anything is possible Replica!

i can now do a mile in 7:30 (not amazing compared to some of our really fit members on the board and people who have posted here) but on a personal level it's something to be proud of for me. i run it through 8.6 most of the time with a 5.0 30-second breather dispersed whenever i need it in about 10 second increments.

i've managed to lose 42 lbs. and i'm still going. none of my clothes fit because they fall off of my body, my tshirts fit huge, and i've had to buy a new belt and will be needing another soon haha.

the fact that youre trying really hard to do it says a lot and im sure you'll get to where you want to be soon. good luck!

LoudDanny
05-29-2010, 02:10 PM
I've gotten my average down to about 7:00/7:30 from about 9:00. I warm up on a treadmill for 5 min walking@3.5-4.5

After I've warmed up I take it to 6.5 for 2 min, then jog for either 30 sec or 1:00 taking it down 1.5 to 5.0. So then I increase 2.0 for 2 min and take it down 1.5 for 1:00/:30 depending on how much I have ran. I do this till I hit 3 miles. After I train like this for about 3 weeks I hit the high school track for a clocked run.

When doing so, I warm up for 1/2 mile, walking the first quarter and jogging the second. After that I keep a steady run while increasing speed every quarter or so. Breathing is major, take deep dreaths when you're at your lower speeds and inhale through nose and exhale through mouth. Fastest I have ever ran a mile was like 6:10/6:50, dont recall too well since it was in high school.

I bought some Nike air max 2009 whihc have treated me a whole lot better than the shox i havent worn since. Shorter strides and more steps are better for your knees and joints. And make sure you stretch as much and as effectively as possible. You can run 1-2 miles more with a well rounded stretch than without.

taz394
05-29-2010, 02:12 PM
there's no treadmill thats equal to real time running / jogging in the park

and there is no such thing as no time

im the idiot that runs in the park on west airport and hwy6 at 2 in the morning :)

LoudDanny
05-29-2010, 08:23 PM
i use it to build stamina and endurance. And to build my knees. Running at the park or track after a long layoff is bad on your knees when you weigh 235+

kdt3
06-01-2010, 12:25 AM
Shorter strides and more steps are better for your knees and joints.

What? how so?

hmm i made a post on here but guess it got deleted when server changed

I tend to use treadmill on my lazy days because it does not recruit as much muscle work compared to track.

So if one wanted to improve mile time, one should train on track at least twice a week on top of the treadmill workouts.

Replica
06-01-2010, 08:50 AM
I guess my other post disappeared. I dropped over 2 minutes last week and I'm down to a 13:55 minute mile. Not great, but I'm happy.

ZEDBIMMER
06-01-2010, 09:04 AM
progress is always good, pace yourself and don't quit.

5plusjuan
06-01-2010, 10:33 AM
I guess my other post disappeared. I dropped over 2 minutes last week and I'm down to a 13:55 minute mile. Not great, but I'm happy.

Get a running partner and an ipod; wear shoes that you feel comfortable running in. The only way you will find the right pair of shoes to run in is to try them on and walk around. Run often and stay off the treadmill unless it's raining. Mix up your running between sprints and endurance; ie. interval training. Sprints (200m,400m,800m, shuttle runs) one day, and 2,3,4 mile runs another. I am 5'8" ,220lbs and run a consistent 14:30-15:00 minute 2-miles. Run until you throw up!!!!!!!! Lmao. :rock:

Texas Tacoma
06-01-2010, 12:08 PM
Can't stop, won't stop.

You should check this out.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/brian-oneills-running-club-houston#query:brian%20oniels%20run

HPorkchopD
06-01-2010, 01:39 PM
i started really being motivated to lose weight 3 months ago. prior to that, a year ago i was running 1.5 miles and wanting to kill myself by the end of it in about 28 minutes (horrible i know).

but as someone who was (and kind of is) out of shape, with an irregular heartbeat and asthma, i feel i've gotten much better. progress has been made so anything is possible Replica!

i can now do a mile in 7:30 (not amazing compared to some of our really fit members on the board and people who have posted here) but on a personal level it's something to be proud of for me. i run it through 8.6 most of the time with a 5.0 30-second breather dispersed whenever i need it in about 10 second increments.

i've managed to lose 42 lbs. and i'm still going. none of my clothes fit because they fall off of my body, my tshirts fit huge, and i've had to buy a new belt and will be needing another soon haha.

the fact that youre trying really hard to do it says a lot and im sure you'll get to where you want to be soon. good luck!

how much did you change your diet? i dont have a problem running, i just have a problem of eating what I want...which is usually bad stuff. hot wings, etc.

catharsis
06-01-2010, 04:03 PM
how much did you change your diet? i dont have a problem running, i just have a problem of eating what I want...which is usually bad stuff. hot wings, etc.

im not gunna lie.. my diet did a complete 180. and it isn't even healthy by any means- not in terms of greasyness or fatty foods but instead the # of meals i eat a day and how much i eat.

i exercise everyday by doing 2 miles of cardio and i really work hard to be consistent with my eating habits.

honestly, if i didnt change my eating i would still be super fat in the belly. no pain no game.

.CÚsar.
06-01-2010, 05:29 PM

yep..mee too..made it in 18:00 flat once for a perfect running score! haha

DDCD
06-01-2010, 05:41 PM

No one here can tell you what running shoe will be good for you. You need to try some different ones. I've been buying the same pair of Asics for 5yrs. I just got a pair of Salomon's and they are alright.

I ran in HS and tried Nike's, New Balance, and Asics. Nike's are shit, New Balance fit my foot weird, but Asics were perfect.

I hit 5:07 in my mile and I wasn't particularly motivated on my own, but had a coach yelling at me constantly. We would mix between 10+ mile runs and shorter, 4-6 mile runs at higher speed and fartlicks. I'm not a sprinter and never have been, but a low mile time is attainable if you try hard enough.

Also, try to run outdoors. Running on a treadmill you're just pickup your legs, instead of physically pulling your body forward. Any track or cross country coach will agree.

MoToHeAd125
06-01-2010, 06:03 PM
I like running on the treadmill and outdoors. While on the treadmill I increase the incline to make it more like running on stable ground. I still get the leg muscle pump, my heart rate still gets up to 170, and im still soaked in sweat when im done.

oncearunner
06-01-2010, 08:33 PM
ive always heard to put the treadmill on 1% incline to better simulate running outdoors.

congrats on the PR (personal best). keep it up and keep us updated.

AXaznAX
06-01-2010, 09:01 PM
I started running at my local park. What's the best way to keep track how many miles i've ran?

oncearunner
06-01-2010, 09:13 PM
I started running at my local park. What's the best way to keep track how many miles i've ran?

after a while, i could tell you almost exactly how far ive ran based on how fast i felt like i was running and for how long. i always thought this route i ran was 2 miles, eventually i measured it, and was off by 100yards lol

googleearth your route and learn the distances. how far to the house with the half fence, how far till the end of the street, etc.

oorrr you could buy a fancy gps watch...but that would b too easy

AXaznAX
06-01-2010, 09:14 PM
after a while, i could tell you almost exactly how far ive ran based on how fast i felt like i was running and for how long. i always thought this route i ran was 2 miles, eventually i measured it, and was off by 100yards lol

googleearth your route and learn the distances. how far to the house with the half fence, how far till the end of the street, etc.

oorrr you could buy a fancy gps watch...but that would b too easy

i run in circles at the park.

oncearunner
06-01-2010, 09:18 PM
i run in circles at the park.

googleearth the circle and find out how long one lap is. or a bike with a distance measurer works too.

HPorkchopD
06-02-2010, 07:31 AM
im not gunna lie.. my diet did a complete 180. and it isn't even healthy by any means- not in terms of greasyness or fatty foods but instead the # of meals i eat a day and how much i eat.

i exercise everyday by doing 2 miles of cardio and i really work hard to be consistent with my eating habits.

honestly, if i didnt change my eating i would still be super fat in the belly. no pain no game.

exactly my problem. i get tired of 'healthy food' or at least the stuff I eat...I usually started with yogurt, followed by a banana for a mid morning snack, then a lean cuisine and microwave broccoli, then a fiber bar of some sort and then I could usually eat whatever I wanted at dinner.

I was staying under or right at 2k cals a day with the running after work and biking at night.

MoToHeAd125
06-02-2010, 10:23 AM

Measuring tape, lots of it...

Replica
06-02-2010, 03:03 PM
Ok, I'm down to a 12.45 mile. Not too bad. I slow down significantly after the first mile. I can run the first, but walk/run the second. I went 2.2 miles on tuesday. So I've dropped 4 minutes off my mile in a total of 2 weeks. No too bad. I might sign up for a 5K later in the month.

oncearunner
06-02-2010, 08:48 PM
do eetttt!

ps. there are alot of people that run/walk 5ks so dont feel embarrassed

Replica
06-02-2010, 08:51 PM
do eetttt!

ps. there are alot of people that run/walk 5ks so dont feel embarrassed
I won't be embarrassed a bit. I'm thrilled to even have the capacity and health to attend it.

LoudDanny
06-02-2010, 09:37 PM
What? how so?

the force:speed ratio is alot less. Kinda like how cars get the best mileage going 55-60 and not at 90 mph

I drove around memorial park for shits and giggles and found out it really was exactly 3 miles

extremest
06-04-2010, 12:35 PM

Generally speaking for your height you should be, in fit shape, around 150-160. Im 5'7 and 160, but starting p90 on monday. Back in October I was up to 178lbs. Way heavy for my height. I got Myocarditis, and my cardiologist put me on a 2000mg or less sodium diet. That and light excercise got me to 160 in a month and a half, since most of the weight was water weight.

Replica
06-04-2010, 12:44 PM
Generally speaking for your height you should be, in fit shape, around 150-160. Im 5'7 and 160, but starting p90 on monday. Back in October I was up to 178lbs. Way heavy for my height. I got Myocarditis, and my cardiologist put me on a 2000mg or less sodium diet. That and light excercise got me to 160 in a month and a half, since most of the weight was water weight.
I'm aware that I need to lose about 20-25 lbs. The comments earlier, by whoever it was, that implied I'm some morbidly obese mutant are a bit silly. I feel like I've already lost a bit of weight in my 2 weeks of running. Feels great.

extremest
06-04-2010, 01:44 PM
I'm aware that I need to lose about 20-25 lbs. The comments earlier, by whoever it was, that implied I'm some morbidly obese mutant are a bit silly. I feel like I've already lost a bit of weight in my 2 weeks of running. Feels great.

Yeah I hear ya man, from losing almost 20lbs. I feel so much better and when people tell you that you look skinnier or whatever, makes you feel alot better also. Stick with whatever it is you do to get to where YOU want to be. Growing up I couldn't pass 135lbs. to save my life. My bf % was around 8-9%, I'm talking almost an 8 pack and all. Lifted weights everyday and ran all the time. Then I got married and had a son, and shot up to 178lbs. Freaking nuts. Good luck to you:)

oncearunner
06-04-2010, 03:59 PM

ya who was that? :hsugh:

Replica
06-06-2010, 03:04 PM
ya who was that? :hsugh:
I will crush you with my fat rolls, then eat you.

TexasMonkey
06-06-2010, 10:22 PM
I use to run with a 10 lbs vest on and I did that with all my runs (which varied in distance but was always no less than three miles) for about a 2 months and when it came down to timing my 3 mile run I lost a whole 1:45! (18:50 was my fastest) and 10 lbs does feel like a whole lot but when your legs are use to it and you take it off it makes a world of difference. I wouldn't go more than 10lbs though, might cause problems with the knees.

HPorkchopD
06-07-2010, 08:10 AM
5Ks are fun. I did 3 last year...the rodeo run was the best...the race for the pennant put on by the Astros SUCKED.

Replica
06-07-2010, 11:24 AM
Yeah, just hit a 12 minute mile! I know it sucks, but it's progress!

oncearunner
06-08-2010, 02:05 PM
I will crush you with my fat rolls, then eat you.

mmmm, fat rolls

http://www.hahastop.com/pictures/Om_Nom_Nom314.jpg

Replica
06-08-2010, 02:07 PM
Get in mah' belly

LabtopThief_jr
06-08-2010, 02:19 PM
Got me thinking about this Rep, i might do a mile run and see how fast i can do it.

Replica
06-08-2010, 02:21 PM
Got me thinking about this Rep, i might do a mile run and see how fast i can do it.
Give it a shot and post results. I challenge you to run a 12 minute mile!

LabtopThief_jr
06-08-2010, 02:23 PM
I think i can do it in 12 minutes but i got my running form down i just need to work on breathing a little bit. I would do it today but it rained and im still a bit sore and burnt from the beach last weekend, so i am giving my body sometime to heal before i get back into my routine. If i remember correctly i used to run miles in gym class in high school under 9 minutes and i did that by walking the curves and running the straights.

I walk/run/jog 3 miles a day sometimes i do it twice a day.

HKS_ECLIPSE
06-08-2010, 02:25 PM
replica, congrats on ur progess. dropping 4 minutes off ur mile time is a good achievement. keep up the hard work and you will get to that 8 minute mile.

Replica
06-08-2010, 02:34 PM
replica, congrats on ur progess. dropping 4 minutes off ur mile time is a good achievement. keep up the hard work and you will get to that 8 minute mile.
Thanks, I'm slowly getting there.

LabtopThief_jr
06-08-2010, 02:42 PM
Rep you and i are almost the same height and weight, i am about 5' 8" and i currently weigh 180lbs. The second day i started running my original 2 mile route twice as much as i did before and i ended up taking a longer break period to let my muscle heal because they were too sore to run. Even with sore muscles i kept walking my old route and did the same for my new 3 mile route. I am proud to say i cannot wait until this sunburn heals and soreness goes away so i can get back out there. I could use some lighter shoes but the reeboks i have are doing just fine.

Replica
06-09-2010, 09:46 AM
I'm back to intervals. I'll try for another mile run "record" in a week or so. I need to stay at a consistent 6 mph run to hit 10 minutes. Today I started 1 minute of 3 mph walking, and 2 minutes of 6 mph running. My calf muscles were like fuuuuuu the whole time. Feels great.

drifterATheart
06-09-2010, 10:35 PM
Being fat all my life not running since high school where I did a 21-22 min mile, I ran a 9'16" mile a couple weeks ago.

LabtopThief_jr
06-09-2010, 10:38 PM
I'm back to intervals. I'll try for another mile run "record" in a week or so. I need to stay at a consistent 6 mph run to hit 10 minutes. Today I started 1 minute of 3 mph walking, and 2 minutes of 6 mph running. My calf muscles were like fuuuuuu the whole time. Feels great.

how do you know your speed?

Texas Tacoma
06-10-2010, 09:12 AM
If youre just starting out with running, Id reccomend consistency over anything else (every other day atleast). At first its the most miserable thing in the world but once your clothes feel looser and you shed some pounds, it'll feel great.

Replica
06-10-2010, 10:08 AM
how do you know your speed?
Treadmill.

LabtopThief_jr
06-10-2010, 10:10 AM
Ahh, never really like treadmills i've always preferred to do it old school.

LoudDanny
06-10-2010, 10:36 AM
I gotta get back to running and working out. Been off of it for about 4 weeks now

epyon96R
06-10-2010, 10:44 AM
you being 190 at 5'7 5'8 is heavy i not calling you fat, you could be muscular for all i know, but yes it is heavy

Texas Tacoma
06-11-2010, 08:01 AM
Ahh, never really like treadmills i've always preferred to do it old school.

I prefer old school also, but with this June heat, I'll log my miles at the gym. Its a bit more accurate anyways. 6 miles in 54 mins last night.

winc281
06-11-2010, 12:32 PM
I gotta get back to running and working out. Been off of it for about 4 weeks now
Got on it D. Still shooting hoops? We're probably gonna play Sun if you you're down.
I prefer old school also, but with this June heat, I'll log my miles at the gym. Its a bit more accurate anyways. 6 miles in 54 mins last night.
I don't run personally but if I did I don't think I could handle this bad heat and humidity.

HPorkchopD
06-11-2010, 12:34 PM
how much weight have you lost Rep?

Replica
06-11-2010, 12:35 PM
how much weight have you lost Rep?
No idea. I haven't checked. I'll look when I hit a 10 minute mile. I'm only eating about 1,500 calories a day as well.

HPorkchopD
06-11-2010, 12:36 PM
man should be shredding off. what is your diet like?

LabtopThief_jr
06-11-2010, 12:38 PM
Rep ima join you soon hopefully by next week

Replica
06-11-2010, 01:12 PM
man should be shredding off. what is your diet like?
Small sandwich (about 350 cals)
Small bag of chips (140 cals)
Random office snack (roughly 150 cals)
Sometimes a Monster (210 cals)

For dinner, it's sort of random. But a variation of grilled chicken, couscous, or rice. Probably about 500 cals. Whenever I get hungry I drink a can of V8 vegetable juice. It's extremely filling, healthy, and about 70 cals a can.

HPorkchopD
06-11-2010, 01:23 PM
try the locarb monster...20 cals. I love em. Usually my diet sucks.

yogurt (100 cals)
banana (no idea)
bad lunch (usually 700-1000 cals)
snack (100 cal snack)
dinner (eat whatever)

edit: then again, Im not working out.

LabtopThief_jr
06-11-2010, 01:35 PM
I think i am taking in too many calories to lose weight, i eat three meals a day and i am not really counting calories don't have to get anal about it. My main concern is going from very low activity daily to high activity and pushing my body too hard but i think after i heal up from my sore ankle i'll be able to run more of my route.
I eat 5 eggs, 2 yolk 3 egg white, for breakfast
sometimes pasta, higher carbs before the run, sometimes chicken breast, brown rice, and veggies
after the run i usually eat chicken, rice, and veggies need more protein after the run than before.

Thinking of dropping a meal to breakfast and after i run and just eat veggies for snacks to keep myself from going hungry. Probably drop my caloric intake for roughly 2,000

Replica
06-11-2010, 01:38 PM
try the locarb monster...20 cals. I love em. Usually my diet sucks.

yogurt (100 cals)
banana (no idea)
bad lunch (usually 700-1000 cals)
snack (100 cal snack)
dinner (eat whatever)

edit: then again, Im not working out.
Bring your lunch and leave your wallet at home. Can't go out and eat shitty when you don't have money.
I think i am taking in too many calories to lose weight, i eat three meals a day and i am not really counting calories don't have to get anal about it. My main concern is going from very low activity daily to high activity and pushing my body too hard but i think after i heal up from my sore ankle i'll be able to run more of my route.
I eat 5 eggs, 2 yolk 3 egg white, for breakfast
sometimes pasta, higher carbs before the run, sometimes chicken breast, brown rice, and veggies
after the run i usually eat chicken, rice, and veggies need more protein after the run than before.
Why the massive weird breakfast? Eat a hearty slice of bread with a thin layer of peanut butter on it and a banana. I wouldn't recommend eating pasta at all. Most problems come from eating proper portions. Next time you make a meal, figure out how much you're actually eating. I bet you eat way more than a proper portion, most people do.

Thinking of dropping a meal to breakfast and after i run and just eat veggies for snacks to keep myself from going hungry. Probably drop my caloric intake for roughly 2,000
I bet 2,000 isn't much lower than your daily maintenance for calories. I'd go lower than that.

LabtopThief_jr
06-11-2010, 01:46 PM
sometimes after a meal i am still hungry but it is quite a bit of food i am still playing with the portions to get the perfect amount, not too much where i don't feel like moving after i eat and not too little where i am still starving. I am still working my diet now while i am healing so i am not eating as much but taking more vitamins and such, i started feeling like i was getting sick a few days ago so i am still taking vitamins just in case it tries to come back and boost my immune system.

I was actually thinking of eating a PB sandwich in the morning with a cup of milk or a large cup of water and slimming my meals down like i said.

Replica
06-11-2010, 01:47 PM
Milk sucks. Only drink water.

Also, food generally doesn't help people heal. There are a lot of people that recommend fasting when they get serious diseases.

LabtopThief_jr
06-11-2010, 01:50 PM
I wasn't eating as much as i used to this week i was mostly drinking water and taking some green tea pills, omega pills, and vitamins.

Replica
06-11-2010, 01:52 PM
I'm hesitant to really advise anyone on exercise or weight loss since I'm sure there's someone reading this thread that knows more. So don't take anything I say too seriously.

LabtopThief_jr
06-11-2010, 01:54 PM
Yea i know, it's a learning process i like to take any advice from anyone noob or pro and follow up on it. There could be things you know and looked up that i don't know.

Gee
06-11-2010, 01:56 PM
Small sandwich (about 350 cals)
Small bag of chips (140 cals)
Random office snack (roughly 150 cals)
Sometimes a Monster (210 cals)

For dinner, it's sort of random. But a variation of grilled chicken, couscous, or rice. Probably about 500 cals. Whenever I get hungry I drink a can of V8 vegetable juice. It's extremely filling, healthy, and about 70 cals a can.

Sounds like you're on the right track. gg

Replica
06-11-2010, 01:56 PM
Yea i know, it's a learning process i like to take any advice from anyone noob or pro and follow up on it. There could be things you know and looked up that i don't know.
The first time I did this, I lost about 25 lbs in 2-3 months. My wife lost over 75 in year.

LabtopThief_jr
06-11-2010, 01:59 PM
I started this routine for a week and then ended up going to the beach and getting sunburn and sore ankles from jumping around in the water, that is alot of stress on your ankles. I hated that just when i was getting into it and into the groove now i have to take it easy and let myself heal up fully before i get back into my routine. I was thinking of doing some light upper body workouts while my legs are healing, i build muscle quickly i already notice my calves and quads are harder and see more definition but that could be from healing.

Replica
06-11-2010, 02:01 PM
I started this routine for a week and then ended up going to the beach and getting sunburn and sore ankles from jumping around in the water, that is alot of stress on your ankles. I hated that just when i was getting into it and into the groove now i have to take it easy and let myself heal up fully before i get back into my routine. I was thinking of doing some light upper body workouts while my legs are healing, i build muscle quickly i already notice my calves and quads are harder and see more definition but that could be from healing.
Meh, I've been running with small injuries. I don't really care. Probably not a good idea, but whatever. If it gets too bad I use an elliptical machine at the gym to get my cardio.

LabtopThief_jr
06-11-2010, 02:02 PM
Yea since i have not worked out since early high school i don't want to try to run while my ankles are sore i might end up hurting myself even further so i am just easing myself back into this routine and this level of activity.

HPorkchopD
06-11-2010, 02:50 PM
My problem is I enjoy beer too much. Plus I like eating fast food. It'll definitely change soon since I close on the house the 24th. It'll be nothing but lean cuisines for lunch.

Replica
06-11-2010, 02:53 PM
My problem is I enjoy beer too much. Plus I like eating fast food. It'll definitely change soon since I close on the house the 24th. It'll be nothing but lean cuisines for lunch.
Welcome to being broke.

I'm lucky that fast food gives me severe digestive problems. So I generally stay away from it unless I want to shit lava.

winc281
06-11-2010, 02:54 PM
Same here. I tend to drink alot on the weekends but I still make progress. Might be better to just bring a lunch. Those lean cuisines aren't very filling.

HPorkchopD
06-11-2010, 02:59 PM
I eat a lean cuisine and one of those single serving broc and cheese things from krogers. It usually did the trick. I would change it up between that and a veg medley (broc, cauliflower,carrots and cheese) when I would get tired. I also grew infatuated with oatmeal. I'd have a cup or two a day. Man maple brown sugar instant with water went hard.

cereal foreal
06-11-2010, 03:08 PM
Whoa, 1,500 calories?

Didn't take the time to read the whole thread, but are you lifting weights?

My quick advice; up the calories, start lifting weights, and stretch before AND after jogging.

1,500 calories for a 190lb male that jogs is not enough. Sometimes switching up what you eat and when you eat is going to help a lot more than switching up how much you eat.

Replica
06-11-2010, 03:08 PM
I eat a lean cuisine and one of those single serving broc and cheese things from krogers. It usually did the trick. I would change it up between that and a veg medley (broc, cauliflower,carrots and cheese) when I would get tired. I also grew infatuated with oatmeal. I'd have a cup or two a day. Man maple brown sugar instant with water went hard.
Oat meal kicks ass. Sometimes I eat the HEB brand vanilla. It hits my stomach hard.

Try some V8. It really hits hard too.
Whoa, 1,500 calories?

My quick advice; up the calories, start lifting weights, and stretch before AND after jogging.

1,500 calories for a 190lb male that jogs is not enough. Sometimes switching up what you eat and when you eat is going to help a lot more than switching up how much you eat.
I've stopped lifting weights in the meantime. Just cardio.

HPorkchopD
06-11-2010, 03:21 PM
I just wanna have the same body type as the guy in that Brad Pitt fights in the final Snatch boxing match. I believe his name is Scott Welch.

Snorlax
06-11-2010, 03:31 PM
I'm a fatass..takes me 10 minutes to finish a mile with 1.0 incline.

LabtopThief_jr
06-11-2010, 03:59 PM
I used to eat fast food daily and drink soda and i didn't get fat but i was severely out of shape. I got tired of that lifestyle and wanted to change, so i started making my own food and it is just so much better and cheaper than fast food my meals last me either all day or two days and cost less than $10. Ever since i started making my own meals and drinking water i feel better overall, i guess it depends on how determined you are. You can incorporate cheat meals in your routine that usually helps you can spend all week working out and eating right and at the end of the week you treat yourself with a beer, pint of ice cream, soda, or something.

winc281
06-11-2010, 04:06 PM
Same here. Used to eat fast food everyday sometimes multiple times a day. Now at work I'll usually hit up HEB on Mon and buy a case of water, bananas, lean pockets, and stuff to make sandwiches with. Not only is it alot healthier but it's been saving me alot of $.

LabtopThief_jr
06-11-2010, 04:12 PM
exactly, a meal at a fast food place cost about $6 on average and you feel like shit and you don't take proper shits and you get very little nutrients from them. Now you go to a grocery store and buy some raw materials and make meals on your own that only take 30 minutes at the most and that meal can last you all day or more and you can have fun with it, mix up the ingredients a bit, and you will be saving money, giving your body the nutrition it needs to stay healthy, you will feel full but in a good way, and your shits will be better. Not to mention in the future you will have less of a chance to develop health issues.

Frozen foods like lean cuisine and such are terrible they are full of preservatives and crap. The only frozen foods i eat now are veggies.

cereal foreal
06-11-2010, 04:13 PM
Ew, say no to Lean Cuisine and Lean Pockets; or anything you find in the freezer section. There's no excuse for that.

Oat meal kicks ass. Sometimes I eat the HEB brand vanilla. It hits my stomach hard.

Try some V8. It really hits hard too.

I've stopped lifting weights in the meantime. Just cardio.

Lifting weights will only help your cardiovascular system perform more efficiently, enabling you to run/jog longer.

p27rpy
06-11-2010, 04:14 PM
a lot of good info in this thread. i've just recently picked up jogging. i've worked out pretty regularly for the past 4-5 years, but never really did any cardio. i started because while i dont look out of shape (i'm 5'10", around 155lbs), my stamina with cardio was HORRIBLE. I was really tired of being winded after jogging up a flight of stairs, so i decided to try jogging out.

the best advice i've taken from here so far are the breathing methods. when i first started a few weeks ago, i would just breathe through my mouth, which would cause me to quickly hyperventilate and tire. by controlling my breathing and using both my nose and mouth, i've found that i can go a lot farther. i haven't timed myself in a mile or anything yet though, i'll maybe do that this weekend to see where i'm at. i used to run a 6:05 mile when i was playing soccer and baseball in high school, so it will be depressing no matter what :hsrun:

keep it up, yall. its cool to see everyone make progress!

edit: i also have some really easy recipes that yall can try if youre just getting started cooking for yourself.

one is baked bbq chicken...super easy. preheat oven to 400 get 1-2 butterflied chicken breasts and put it in a oven-safe pot with a lid. add salt/pepper and some olive oil to help the spices stick. you can add some rub of your choice too, if you want. baste the chicken with BBQ sauce (i use stubbs or sweet baby rays). add roughly chopped carrots and sliced onions, and get some spices and sauce on them too, if you want. cover it and put it in the oven for about 30 min. while it's in, boil 2 cups of water and add 1 cup of rice, and cover & simmer.

should come out really tasty with a nice BBQ flavor, and its really easy to make...super low effort, and if you make a lot, can last you a few meals.

LabtopThief_jr
06-11-2010, 04:19 PM
Yea i am still learning how to breathe properly if you take shallow breaths you are tiring yourself, it's important to control your heart rate by breathing at the right pace. There is a point of extreme efficiency with breathing and temperature of your body also learn to belly breathe, breathe in and expand your stomach and exhale out of your mouth also back straight and head up helps your diaphragm and lungs make the most out of the oxygen you take in.

LabtopThief_jr
06-12-2010, 09:59 PM
Just ran a mile in 9min 3 sec. i am surprised i did so well.

oncearunner
06-13-2010, 01:29 AM
Yea i am still learning how to breathe properly if you take shallow breaths you are tiring yourself, it's important to control your heart rate by breathing at the right pace. There is a point of extreme efficiency with breathing and temperature of your body also learn to belly breathe, breathe in and expand your stomach and exhale out of your mouth also back straight and head up helps your diaphragm and lungs make the most out of the oxygen you take in.

learning well young jedi master lol

LabtopThief_jr
06-13-2010, 10:23 AM
lol thank you master

cereal foreal
06-13-2010, 10:41 AM
Don't know if this has been mentioned, but making your stride shorter (if it's not short currently) will help out. Longer strides will tire you and your legs out faster, and taking longer strides than you need to will make you more prone to injury than if you took smaller strides.

mastratus
06-13-2010, 10:44 AM
I ran a 1.5 miles in 12 minutes with 2 slipped disks... o.O lol...

Just keep at it Replica

Perf_White_GT
06-13-2010, 11:49 AM
fastest i ever done was 7min 1 mile :[

that was twenty seconds faster than my mile 1/2 time in 7th grade...

my running skills have gone to shit since i got out of the military, what with being in college and drinking my ass off... but I timed myself and i am barely knocking down a 7:50 mile.... it makes me wanna cry

LabtopThief_jr
06-13-2010, 01:24 PM
Don't know if this has been mentioned, but making your stride shorter (if it's not short currently) will help out. Longer strides will tire you and your legs out faster, and taking longer strides than you need to will make you more prone to injury than if you took smaller strides.

there is also a point where short strides won't help much, you have to find that balance of a short stride but not long enough to achieve an efficient pace and speed.

Pitlab77
06-13-2010, 04:35 PM
Whoa, 1,500 calories?

depends on your metabolism.

I use to 7 days a week with regular runs of 4~8 miles and ate around that. But then it takes me like 2 hours to digest a small granola bar bar or I will barf when I run. Everyone is different.

Replica
06-14-2010, 08:36 AM
Just ran a mile in 9min 3 sec. i am surprised i did so well.
That's great.

My wife is telling me to run outside and I'll likely go faster. I'm sticking to ye olden' treadmill for now though.

Pitlab77
06-14-2010, 09:26 AM
you run different on a tread mill. You lift you legs rather than push forward. Yes you will be faster running outside.

LabtopThief_jr
06-14-2010, 09:28 AM
Thanks

I prefer to run outside it's just better overall, fresh air, scenery, and sometimes change of terrain. On a treadmill i don't think you really are working your legs to run faster.

danyo492
06-14-2010, 09:54 AM
and there a lot of things that affect your running as opposed to running inside on a treadmill. for example wind, humidity and the type of surface you're running on.

Replica
06-14-2010, 10:23 AM
Ok, just ran a mile in 10:53. Almost there. Once I hit a 10 minute mile I won't feel like as big of an obese mutant.

Perf_White_GT
06-14-2010, 10:38 AM
That's great.

My wife is telling me to run outside and I'll likely go faster. I'm sticking to ye olden' treadmill for now though.

I like using the treadmill... I usually will set it up in front of the tv and get in my run AND my daily intake of news. Since I am all about killing two birds with one stone. just wish I could do my homework on one..

But then again, I live in san marcos... so going for a run always produces nice scenery ;)

Replica
06-14-2010, 10:44 AM
I like using the treadmill... I usually will set it up in front of the tv and get in my run AND my daily intake of news. Since I am all about killing two birds with one stone. just wish I could do my homework on one..

But then again, I live in san marcos... so going for a run always produces nice scenery ;)
That's a big motivation for me too. I like to watch the news at the gym since I don't have cable at home.

Pitlab77
06-14-2010, 11:57 AM
and there a lot of things that affect your running as opposed to running inside on a treadmill. for example wind, humidity and the type of surface you're running on.

the more reason why outside is better. It makes you a stronger runner. Thats why I do heat runs once or twice a week in the summer at 2~3~4 . Yes you will be minutes off your pace because of the heat but when the temp drops in October it gives you a bigger boost as you can use the endurance and push harder.

danyo492
06-14-2010, 01:21 PM
wrd. I was arguing for outside running by the way lol if you couldnt tell

Snorlax
06-14-2010, 02:02 PM
Ok, just ran a mile in 10:53. Almost there. Once I hit a 10 minute mile I won't feel like as big of an obese mutant.

It's ok Rep..we can both be obese mutants :Goofy:

Replica
06-14-2010, 02:44 PM
I wash myself with a rag on a stick.

http://img.listal.com/image/690322/940full-the-simpsons-screenshot.jpg

Snorlax
06-14-2010, 02:54 PM
^ I miss the older seasons of The Simpsons.. oh have times have changed.. *sigh*

p27rpy
06-14-2010, 03:39 PM
i timed myself two nights ago, and i ran a mile around my neighborhood in 8:45....so i have to keep going to try to get back down into the 7's. man i felt like i was going to die, haha.

LabtopThief_jr
06-14-2010, 03:51 PM
i timed myself two nights ago, and i ran a mile around my neighborhood in 8:45....so i have to keep going to try to get back down into the 7's. man i felt like i was going to die, haha.

Yea when i did my run the right side of my chest started to hurt a little, i tired myself out by doing a warm up jog. I think tonight i will run my mile see if i improve by not doing a warm up jog and just walk for a bit. My problem is breathing, when i try to control my breathing at a steady pace breathing in through my nose and out of my mouth it feels like i am not getting enough oxygen but i noticed when i increase my breathing pace i start to slow down and feel tired. Is it just because i am not used to breathing properly while running?

le14
06-15-2010, 12:02 AM
you run different on a tread mill. You lift you legs rather than push forward. Yes you will be faster running outside.

I always thought that running outside would result in a slower time than running on a treadmill. IDK

Pitlab77
06-15-2010, 12:00 PM
I always thought that running outside would result in a slower time than running on a treadmill. IDK

pace might be more constant but you are teaching yourself to bounce up and down not forward. I think treadmills are good, but they have their place. But if thats all you got to run it is better than nothing. I know there have been weeks where I have had to live on a treadmill because of work and time.

p27rpy
06-15-2010, 12:56 PM
i know that running on treadmills/elliptical are much better for your joints, but i get so bored. i find myself wanting to stop after 5 minutes just because i dont want to do it anymore. i jogging because you're actually going somewhere, and get to see your progress, you know?

but for my knees' sake, i might switch...

LabtopThief_jr
06-15-2010, 01:01 PM
I just think actually running and jogging outside is better overall it's better than running in place.

Replica
06-15-2010, 01:03 PM
I just think actually running and jogging outside is better overall it's better than running in place.
I enjoy the treadmill. I like that the surface has flex so the impact isn't as hard on my joints, I've got all sorts of digital crap to observe my progress and I can catch up on the news. Works for me. My first run outside will likely be the first 5K I sign up for.

LabtopThief_jr
06-15-2010, 01:05 PM
If it helps and works for you then go for it

p27rpy
06-15-2010, 01:08 PM
i dunno what it is, but i can't watch tv and run...i just stop paying attention to it. not sure why. i've only tried the elliptical with the tv, so maybe ill give the treadmill a try tonight.

Pitlab77
06-15-2010, 02:55 PM
a treadmill is not better or worse. The flex actually leaves me really sore.

The old saying came from bad running shoes. If you are fitted in good running shoes (not nike, reebok, but brooks, saucony, asics) that is suited to your style of running (how your foot lands, and also size and weight) the padding will do its job.

I run on concert, and packed trails but I also follow these rules:
-I have shoes that fit me. I am a neutral runner thus I do no need posting, and at 155lbs I do not need much padding either.
-2 pairs of running shoes, that I alternate by run day. With newer technology you really do not have to let shoes rest to allow the padding to fully decompress anymore though.
-replace them after 6 months of use. I write down the 1st run date/month on the heels with a sharpie.

My knees are just fine.

Snorlax
06-15-2010, 03:01 PM
I usually space out when I run on the treadmill. I get distracted when I stare at the TV.

Replica
06-15-2010, 03:09 PM
I need to pick up some better shoes. Old school Reeboks are showing their limits.

Snorlax, whatever it takes to get it over with. Space out, watch chicks in the gym, watch TV, whatever.

Pitlab77
06-15-2010, 03:18 PM
I need to pick up some better shoes. Old school Reeboks are showing their limits.

Snorlax, whatever it takes to get it over with. Space out, watch chicks in the gym, watch TV, whatever.

http://www.brooksrunning.com/Help/Shoe+Advisor/

Replica
06-15-2010, 03:21 PM
I have such a hard time making sense out of the category of shoes. Control? Support? Guidance? I just need a running shoe. lol.

Pitlab77
06-15-2010, 03:25 PM
just follow the shoe advisor. do not go in the categories.

Control/guidance depends on you pronation. How your foot lands (follow the shoe advisors photos or you can do a wet test. get your feet wet stand on paper and see what your prints look like)

support: Big heavy, small light. What kind of cushion do you need. Also race/training shoes will be different. Race shoes T6 racer will have practically no cushion to save weight, were other shoes will offer more support at the expense of weight.

danyo492
06-15-2010, 03:28 PM
go to lukes locker

Replica
06-15-2010, 03:31 PM
I can't quite imagine my own pronation.

Snorlax
06-15-2010, 03:43 PM
^ I would just find the most comfortable running shoe thats cheap.

Pitlab77
06-15-2010, 09:18 PM
^ I would just find the most comfortable running shoe thats cheap.

bad move. You need to know whats good before you can find it cheap. I know what good shoes are, and usually bulk buy when a new model comes out but just buying "comfortable" and cheap does not mean you will end up with a good shoe.

Once again if you cant go to these store:
Fleet Feet in rice village(my personal favorite to buy things at. my friend use to work there, they will work with you and fit you even if you do not buy anything)
or
texas running company: good group of guys. A friend of mine just moved to austin to open a new store there.

Snorlax
06-16-2010, 11:36 AM
I ran a 9 minute mile on the treadmill yesterday with 1.0 incline. I felt like I was going to die yesterday.

LabtopThief_jr
06-16-2010, 12:42 PM
after jogging more of my route yesterday my ankles are killing me today i gotta give them some time before i do my route again. Are you supposed to jog on the front of your feet like running or use the entire foot?

Texas Tacoma
06-16-2010, 12:48 PM
Do not go cheap on shoes.
Your cankles will thank you later.

CandymanVending
06-16-2010, 01:27 PM
try the loop at rice and practice it. I am trying to get under 20 min 3 mile started out at 40 minutes 4 weeks ago now down to 25:30. Its so hard because its 1000 degrees outside and I cant breath in this humidity

LabtopThief_jr
06-23-2010, 06:23 PM
Rep any updates on your progress? I messed myself up when i was trying to work on my forefoot running and ended up taking a break again to heal. Also now i am not timing myself until i build some more muscle and get my form down. Also i have been thinking about getting those Vibram five finger shoes so if anyone on here uses them i'd like to know what you think about them.

Pitlab77
06-23-2010, 06:46 PM
21:20, 6:50 pace 5k yesterday. First time in year since I hurt myself :-)

I call BS on those shoes.

What is your height weight? I might be able to recommend some shoes.

LabtopThief_jr
06-23-2010, 06:50 PM
about 5' 9" 180lbs i traded shoes with my dad recently i got some new balance shoes and i love those more than my reeboks. I guess i just need to work on my form over time but when i run barefoot i naturally run forefoot and with shoes it's just a bit more difficult. I will try tonight to work on my stride i think that is my problem probably too long of a stride.

Pitlab77
06-23-2010, 07:05 PM
about 5' 9" 180lbs i traded shoes with my dad recently i got some new balance shoes and i love those more than my reeboks. I guess i just need to work on my form over time but when i run barefoot i naturally run forefoot and with shoes it's just a bit more difficult. I will try tonight to work on my stride i think that is my problem probably too long of a stride.

I am willing to bet it is shoes. Poor shoes lead to bad form.

I would stay away from heavy cushion shoes you are not big.

I do not use NB, I use brooks. This is a pretty good shoe (brooks adrenaline gts 10) http://www.brooksrunning.com/product/1100691D/123206/Adrenaline%20GTS%2010 .

I use a different named model of the shoe that does not have the stability posting as I run faily neutral.

Try these asic GT 2150. These are fairly chusioned and have some posting for stability and guidance. Good begging shoes. Plus they are pretty true on size (ie if you are a 10 then a 10 will fit.) http://www.asicsamerica.com/products/product.aspx?PRODUCT_ID=240014163&TITLE_CATEGORY_ID=250001542&PARENT_CATEGORY_ID=250001538

You can buy a model year or two back if you do not want to drop a bill on them. (like the 2130)
http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q=asic+gt-2130&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=BK8iTMX8GYXGlQek6bSvBg&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CDgQrQQwAA

If you know if you are neutral or I could offer other shoes.

LabtopThief_jr
06-23-2010, 07:10 PM
what do you mean by running neutral i do not know many of the terms for runners. When i go running tonight i will try to run naturally with my shoes and see what happens i think i just need to shorten my stride a bit i noticed now that it does feel too long. I have been watching videos of people running on treadmills and watching their feet and legs as well as their upper body very closely, pretty much studying them lol.

Pitlab77
06-23-2010, 07:18 PM
what do you mean by running neutral i do not know many of the terms for runners. When i go running tonight i will try to run naturally with my shoes and see what happens i think i just need to shorten my stride a bit i noticed now that it does feel too long. I have been watching videos of people running on treadmills and watching their feet and legs as well as their upper body very closely, pretty much studying them lol.

dont watch what people do on treadmills. that is usually an unnatural gate.

Pronation: Over, Neutral, Under
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-319-327-7727-0,00.html

how to tell your foot type:
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-319-326-7152-0,00.html

i posted this before uptop
brooks shoe advisor
http://www.brooksrunning.com/Help/Shoe+Advisor/

Pitlab77
06-23-2010, 07:25 PM
plus I wouldnt worry about forefoot vs heel strike. Your body will dictate more how you run, so does pace, and other factors.

LabtopThief_jr
06-23-2010, 07:29 PM
I see,
Well judging from the links i have either normal or over pronation and my foot type is normal. I will find out if my ankles roll tonight but i do not think they do.

Pitlab77
06-23-2010, 07:35 PM
then the Asic GT line or Brooks Adrenaline line would be a good first real running shoe.

LabtopThief_jr
06-23-2010, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the help and info i'll look into those shoes when i start shopping for some.

LabtopThief_jr
06-23-2010, 11:49 PM
Well i just got back from my run and i found out what my problem was, i was not driving my heels high enough. When i started to drive them higher toward my butt i found i was landing on my forefoot and using my calves and it was not tiring me out as much as before. Only problem i have now is i need to let my feet and ankles heal fully before running full speed and that will take some time.

mr.hatch
06-24-2010, 01:05 PM
8-9 min mile???!!?!?!

LabtopThief_jr
06-25-2010, 07:58 PM
What's wrong with that? We are just average people not olympic runners. My last timed mile was 9min 3sec and i am sure i can break the 9min barrier now but i need to let my legs and ankles fully heal before i try that. Also i had an idea today while i was jogging, what if you get some shoe pads and put them in socks so you can run as you would barefoot? Not sure if that would work but if you were to get pads that were bigger than your foot and a larger size sock it could work right? If it does work i could run much better and tread lightly and be more efficient but the socks would probably tear apart in less than a month.

Pitlab77
06-26-2010, 08:33 AM
What's wrong with that? We are just average people not olympic runners. My last timed mile was 9min 3sec and i am sure i can break the 9min barrier now but i need to let my legs and ankles fully heal before i try that. Also i had an idea today while i was jogging, what if you get some shoe pads and put them in socks so you can run as you would barefoot? Not sure if that would work but if you were to get pads that were bigger than your foot and a larger size sock it could work right? If it does work i could run much better and tread lightly and be more efficient but the socks would probably tear apart in less than a month.

dont listen to that. I started at over 8 minute miles and now I can do 6:xx miles. I'm glad you are running to run not like all the stupid people joing running clubs because it is the "in" thing to do now.

I think you should really go to a running store because it sounds like you have more issures with your running than just shoes. I could take a look at your running if you are on the SW side of town, only problem is I runn around 5:30~6 am

LabtopThief_jr
06-26-2010, 09:26 AM
dont listen to that. I started at over 8 minute miles and now I can do 6:xx miles. I'm glad you are running to run not like all the stupid people joing running clubs because it is the "in" thing to do now.

I think you should really go to a running store because it sounds like you have more issures with your running than just shoes. I could take a look at your running if you are on the SW side of town, only problem is I runn around 5:30~6 am

I just need to keep practicing right now i am jogging and walking my route until i can jog the entire jog and then start running. My feet are not getting as sore as they used to be. The reason why i am running is because i got tired of being lazy and not doing anything anymore, a few years ago i used to work out every other day and got into it, so getting back to it is not very hard and i actually enjoy going out at night or just before sunset and jogging. I have really noticed a difference in my legs, my calves have much more muscle when i flex them as well as my quads but i want to shave off some fat from my upper body so i might start lifting some light weights with high reps.

Also when i run or jog i noticed my feet placement has improved and overall form but my stamina and endurance at first was terrible and now i can jog half my 3 mile route so by mid July i think i will be able to jog the entire 3 miles and start running. I updated my workout spreadsheet info and i am burning off more calories than i used to be at first since i am jogging longer and incorporate some running like a short burst to practice my form. One more thing, i noticed i gained 5 pounds i think that is from muscle mass because as i said my calves have gotten harder and more defined as well as my shins and quads.

LabtopThief_jr
07-05-2010, 03:00 AM
Replica wtf no updates on your progress? So far i am jogging at least 80% of my 3 mile route i am confident by next weekend i'll be able to jog all 3 miles. The weird thing is near the end of jog i get chest pain while jogging but when i walk it goes away gradually, could it be from my breathing? maybe i need to breathe a little faster.

daneo
07-05-2010, 01:14 PM
no don't breath faster, it will slow you down. Keep the same breathing pattern the whole time. Try this next time, when you start getting tired; start moving your arms back and fourth faster and longer. To a point towards you are almost touching your nose, and the back of your arms almost being horizontal to the floor. That should keep you running an let you finish off your run.

LabtopThief_jr
07-05-2010, 01:37 PM
how fast should i be breathing while jogging? I take a deep breath through my nose and exhale out of my mouth quickly. The only sore part of my legs now is my left achilies tendon so i am going to rest for a couple days and probably be able to jog my entire route. My quads have strengthened a bit, feel harder with less fat around it, amazing how fast we gain muscle and heal.

oncearunner
07-05-2010, 09:03 PM
how fast should i be breathing while jogging? I take a deep breath through my nose and exhale out of my mouth quickly. The only sore part of my legs now is my left achilies tendon so i am going to rest for a couple days and probably be able to jog my entire route. My quads have strengthened a bit, feel harder with less fat around it, amazing how fast we gain muscle and heal.

i read your post earlier about lifting your legs in the back of your gait, and yes its more natural to land on your forefoot. congrats on that for reals, heel striking is retarded, when you want to stop running what do u do? u slam your heels into theground to slow u down. thats basically what your doing everytime u stride lol

as far as breathing is concerned, do not breath through your mouth unless u absolutely have to at the end of your run. breath through your nose (in/out) as much as possible, yes you pick your nose alot lol welcome to the running world. the problem with breathing through your mouth is that it will send your heartrate up triggering a panicked state. breath slowly, and FULLY (expand your diaphragm!!) with each breath and you will see the difference.

credentials?
435 mile
957 two mile
1500 three mile
1540 5k

any questions im here!

Pitlab77
07-05-2010, 09:22 PM
i read your post earlier about lifting your legs in the back of your gait, and yes its more natural to land on your forefoot. congrats on that for reals, heel striking is retarded, when you want to stop running what do u do? u slam your heels into theground to slow u down. thats basically what your doing everytime u stride lol

as far as breathing is concerned, do not breath through your mouth unless u absolutely have to at the end of your run. breath through your nose (in/out) as much as possible, yes you pick your nose alot lol welcome to the running world. the problem with breathing through your mouth is that it will send your heartrate up triggering a panicked state. breath slowly, and FULLY (expand your diaphragm!!) with each breath and you will see the difference.

credentials?
435 mile
957 two mile
1500 three mile
1540 5k

any questions im here!

heal strike and fore foot is poor terminology for most people though. Most people do not describe a heal stike properly. Some people might say I heal strike but I dont. I think you can not address or identify "running" style on a message board no matter what.

oncearunner
07-05-2010, 09:29 PM
heal strike and fore foot is poor terminology for most people though. Most people do not describe a heal stike properly. Some people might say I heal strike but I dont. I think you can not address or identify "running" style on a message board no matter what.

he knows what heal striking and forefoot landing means, he brought up those terms himself.

you cant mold someone into perfection over a message board but u can certainly steer them in the right direction. and forefoot striking is the correct, natural, most efficient form of running.

At the Footlocker Regional two years ago, I spoke with NY Federation Champ Lopez Lomong. I asked how he trained in Africa. He assured me that it was without shoes. I asked him why he wears shoes now. He said, "It's the Law", meaning he was forced into shoes in order to run in High School. He was unhappy with having to wear shoes, but submitted in any case. If anyone has observed Lopez Lomong or Dominick Luka, it would be almost impossible to fail to recognize how efficient they both were and are. At the State Meet last year, Luka won in 1:51 for the 800 meters and Lomong in 4:10 for the mile. When they run, they appear rather to sail. They land lightly on the balls of their feet and spring vigorously from the ground with each step. Neither has a rapid turnover, but both have enormous strides. Their power comes from their feet. Their foot muscles are strong and well developed from their African heritage. Africans engage their feet while in motion whereas Americans are compelled to draw power from their legs that can never quite substitute for weakness in the feet.

edit: lopez lomong carried the USA national flag at the opening ceremony in Beijing 2008 olympics

Pitlab77
07-05-2010, 10:00 PM
you can steer someone in a direction but you get to the point where you need face to face. If you caim to be as fast as you are you should know this. As many questions as he is asking it seems like he really needs to talk to some one or have someone see him in action. It is like that in all sports.

Now as to him bringing it up I can sit and see people bring up how a suspension system works on a car all day long, why x brand is better, but does it mean they are explaing it right. No it does not.

Perf_White_GT
07-05-2010, 10:04 PM
The one thing I need to get over is that everytime I run around san marcos I have to ensure that I stretch my shins out heavily. If i dont i get shin splints like crazy

I need to learn how to run a very hilly course.

I was thinking about going to austin to the runners store and get them to analyse my run. I need improvement after pushing myself in my recent 10k and being forced to recuperate with swimming.

My goal is to do a triathlon within a year..

LabtopThief_jr
07-05-2010, 10:07 PM
I know forefoot and balls of your feet mean i just need help on breathing i got my form down. I naturally run forefoot when i run with my bare feet, i haul ass barefoot. I just need to know if i am breathing too slow but judging by how far i am jogging i don't think i need to but i am curious about light chest pain near the end of my route. I also noticed i was overpronating but if i just flex my calves while striking it land the proper way. I want to go back out tonight but my left achilles tendon is a bit sore.

Yea forefoot is proper and natural try running barefoot and you will notice that you are striking forefoot naturally.

Thanks for the info oncearunner and support. I breathe in through my nose and quickly out of my mouth, i read that it is better to inhale deeply and exhale quickly.

Pitlab77
07-05-2010, 10:18 PM
fore foot is how man ran with out shoes or light sandles or track cleats.

What I am getting at is how your foot lands is an extension of other issues not just shoes. Stride, kick, pace, etc. all have factors that play into how the foot lands.

LabtopThief_jr
07-05-2010, 10:20 PM
Yea and it takes practice to get back to running forefoot with shoes.

Pitlab77
07-05-2010, 10:27 PM
No, not if the problem is mechanics. you will just be practicing poor mechanics if that is the case.

IE: I can shift faster if I practice driving, but I countinue to practice with gangsta lean to my seat. Sitting in a proper driving procdure like we teach to new autocrossers provides instant results. From there practice makes perfect

Perf_White_GT
07-05-2010, 10:27 PM
Every time I run i breathe in through my mouth and out through my nose. I find it keeps my heart rate under control.

LabtopThief_jr
07-05-2010, 10:29 PM
True

Pitlab77
07-05-2010, 10:34 PM
I know because I am fighting my own mechanics/conditioning right now. I've dropped from sub 7 minute miles to 7 min miles after a sever injury last year. I had my worst competative 5k in 3 years this past sunday. I was running 7:2x first mile!!! (I did have the S#$%s that morning) but still I would have placed 3rd in my age class if I had run a 21:20 or less which I know I can.

oncearunner
07-05-2010, 11:32 PM
No, not if the problem is mechanics. you will just be practicing poor mechanics if that is the case.

IE: I can shift faster if I practice driving, but I countinue to practice with gangsta lean to my seat. Sitting in a proper driving procdure like we teach to new autocrossers provides instant results. From there practice makes perfect

that logic doest make sense. it sounds like your saying forefoot running is the optimal running method because its natural, but he shouldnt practice it because it may not be natural to him?

its different from trying to teach a right handed person to write with his left hand. it comes naturally to EVERYBODY. yes you will be fighting your body for a little bit, having smaller soles in your heals helps alot, but in the end it will pay off, 100% of the time.

as far as breathing is concerned, you'll NEVER see any olympic caliber runners breathing in with their nose, and quickly out their mouth, why would you? breathing should be natural, done slowly with no thought process involved. if its works for you do it, icant change what you do, but there are better methods out there. ikno i keep using the words natural, naturally, etc. running is one of the most natural activities the human body can perform. there is even science to suggest that our bone structure evolved into what it is today for the sole purpose of being able to run over long distances to hunt prey.

to perf_white (i dont want you tofeel ignored :) )>> do whatever you can to keep your heart rate up, even if its not running your still doing cardio anything helps! how did your 10k go?

LabtopThief_jr
07-05-2010, 11:40 PM
I will try breathing in through my mouth and out of my nose next time i jog.

Pitlab77
07-06-2010, 12:51 AM
that logic doest make sense. it sounds like your saying forefoot running is the optimal running method because its natural, but he shouldnt practice it because it may not be natural to him?

its different from trying to teach a right handed person to write with his left hand. it comes naturally to EVERYBODY. yes you will be fighting your body for a little bit, having smaller soles in your heals helps alot, but in the end it will pay off, 100% of the time.

Yes it does make sense, because what I am saying is not to teach the right handed person how to wright with their left hand. What I am saying is if my thumb and index finger hurt to much when I write with my right hand it is highly likely that I am pressing to hard. What does practice do for me if I am not holding it right, I am just practicing bad form.

If he is having that much pain then maybe it is form not practice that needs to be looked at.

As to the breathing, sometimes unconventional is what works for people.

My GF track coach told her to do this one way, that was does nothing for me. But then my 6+ft 200+lbs friend that ran xc also (and ran close to the times you said) runs very different also. There are prescribe best practices, does not mean it will work for everyone. Yes there is fluidity in running, we are bipedal creatures, but also differences in our bodies will play small changes in how we run. Look at elite runners, they are not carbon copies of each other. I could even tell that when I was doing warm ups with some elite Kenyans a few years ago before the San Antonio RnR marathon.

(ps although there debate as how much of a different forefoot to mid foot striking makes with modern technology. And there are small pockets of barefoot runners. Just like debate as to should runners stretch pre/post running as new theory says it can actually make runners more prone to injury vs. a gradual warm up through activity (I dont stretch))

I'm not just spouting my mouth of with out some knowledge :)

LabtopThief_jr
07-06-2010, 01:00 AM
I've noticed i do not get very sore if i do not stretch before jogging, but i do some ballistic stretching like bring my knees up to my chest and raise my legs while keeping them extended like i am marching and i jump on the front of my feet a little bit for my calves.

LabtopThief_jr
07-06-2010, 02:18 AM
What do yall think about the Vibram five-finger shoes? If they allow you to run as if you were barefoot then i would buy those because i run longer, faster, and more efficient when i am barefoot and i would run my route barefoot but i would tear up my feet from the pebbles and rocks on the road. I even thought about getting some thin shoe pads and stuffing them in socks so i can run sort of barefoot but that probably wouldn't work.

Texas Tacoma
07-06-2010, 11:43 AM
Trash.

Get some Asics or NB and dont be cheap.

LabtopThief_jr
07-06-2010, 12:00 PM
I traded my reeboks for my dad's new NBs and i like them very much they are lighter and feel like they are running shoes.

Texas Tacoma
07-06-2010, 12:07 PM
993's are one of the best shoes I've ever had.

LabtopThief_jr
07-06-2010, 12:08 PM
if those Vibrams feel like you are barefoot then i want to try them out because i run much better without shoes.

Texas Tacoma
07-06-2010, 12:18 PM
Why would you be running w/o shoes anyways?

Dont be cheap on shoes.

LabtopThief_jr
07-06-2010, 12:20 PM
Because i have perfect form and maximum efficiency if i run barefoot, which is the best way to run since our body is designed that way. So wearing shoes that allow the the same motion, strike, etc. as if you were barefoot then that would be the best shoe and from what i have read since last night the Vibrams are the closest thing but i want to see if anyone on here has them and could share their experience.

SuperSpud
07-06-2010, 12:24 PM
my fastest mile was a 5:23 which was in the CUSA Championship Meet in Louisville... ive never been able to do distance, but the mile is the last event of the decathlon :( had i not had to do 9 other events prior to the mile, i could have probably broken into the 4's lol

Texas Tacoma
07-06-2010, 12:28 PM
I dont be seeing that barefoot bullshit at marathons.

That's all I'm saying.

oncearunner
07-06-2010, 08:19 PM

That's all I'm saying.

um... Olympic GOLD medalist Abebe Bikila would disagree with you.
2:16:20 world record at the time

http://addishagere.com/millennium/images/sport2.png

ive never tried the Vibram's so i dunno. I used to run in the older model of the Puma Harambee street when i had to wear shoes (i got up to 60-70 miles done barefoot out my 80 a week). Here is the new one:

http://www.6pm.com/images/749/7492536/10942-801009-p.jpg

in regards to our conversations earlier, lets just agree to disagree. do whatever works for you guy's and keep up the good work!

LabtopThief_jr
07-06-2010, 09:21 PM

That's all I'm saying.

It's not barefoot just common knowledge, or should be anyways, you were born with feet not shoes we have evolved with our feet not shoes we run our best without shoes. Same with the way we keep our body cool, if you don't wear a shirt then your sweat can work properly to evaporate and cool you down.

Perf_White_GT
07-06-2010, 11:27 PM
I use nike air max+ 2010 and they seem to get the job for me done..

the only other shoes i have ever liked were NB

LabtopThief_jr
07-06-2010, 11:32 PM
I use New Balance 621 and i love them but could always go for something lighter. With the way things are going so far this week i won't be able to jog until about thursday or friday, moving stuff from a room and have to paint it, so i guess my goal of jogging my entire 3 mile route without stopping will have to be postponed. I have some padded soles in my shoes but they are not too soft where it feels like i am running in jello but they are quite firm just thicker than the normal pads and they have helped to prevent my feet from getting sore.
http://www.shoedeals4u.com/images/shoes/large/MT621BK.jpg

Texas Tacoma
07-07-2010, 11:16 AM
um... Olympic GOLD medalist Abebe Bikila would disagree with you.
2:16:20 world record at the time

I'm not a olympic gold medalist, I'm a avid marathon runner. But thanks for your input.

With the way things are going so far this week i won't be able to jog until about thursday or friday, moving stuff from a room and have to paint it, so i guess my goal of jogging my entire 3 mile route without stopping will have to be postponed.

You cant set away 30 minutes of your 24 hour day to jog?

WTF do you do all day?

LabtopThief_jr
07-07-2010, 05:11 PM
I can but i don't have the energy to do it at the end of the day. It's not going to kill me it will be good anyway let my achilles tendon fully heal.

Pitlab77
07-08-2010, 04:58 PM
Not going to comment anymore on this thread... Untill you:

See someone or get a gait analysis done at a running store because running should not make you legs and tendons hurt that way nor that much unless you are doing something weird.

LabtopThief_jr
07-08-2010, 04:59 PM
I am sorry if i did not make it clear but i am not running yet i am walking/jogging so my jogging form might be wrong i don't raise my feet very high above my ankle. My tendon is fine now and i might jog tonight if it doesn't rain again.

TooCoo
07-09-2010, 06:52 AM
So yesterday i ran for the first time in a long time. didnt do too bad i guess i did 1.75 miles in 20 minutes. But now im jumping on the bandwagon. Im going for an 8min mile too.

LabtopThief_jr
07-09-2010, 12:10 PM
sweet, keep us updated don't push yourself too hard since you are getting back into running. I started out just by walking 3-4 miles a day then after a week or two i started jogging and now i can jog at least 2 miles of my route with a short walk break.

TooCoo
07-09-2010, 12:52 PM
sweet, keep us updated don't push yourself too hard since you are getting back into running. I started out just by walking 3-4 miles a day then after a week or two i started jogging and now i can jog at least 2 miles of my route with a short walk break.

i was actually suprised i did that well...

Replica
07-09-2010, 12:55 PM
I haven't had time for anything lately. Monday, I'll be back on the grind.

oncearunner
07-09-2010, 01:36 PM
I'm not a olympic gold medalist, I'm a avid marathon runner. But thanks for your input.

You cant set away 30 minutes of your 24 hour day to jog?

WTF do you do all day?

did u miss the point? he ran a2:16 running barefoot in ROME, with all those cobblestones and rocks he had to run on. The human body is amazingly adaptive and can handle running on concrete if u give it time.

why are you talking down to everybody?

winc281
07-09-2010, 01:43 PM
^That's his thing. Always talking trash about something.

LabtopThief_jr
07-09-2010, 01:45 PM
I have been thinking about running barefoot but there are lots of pebbles on my route.

Texas Tacoma
07-09-2010, 01:56 PM
^That's his thing. Always talking trash about something.

Im gonna talk mad trash if you make lame excuses that you cant jog for a week.

Replica
07-09-2010, 01:57 PM
Im gonna talk mad trash if you make lame excuses that you cant jog for a week.
I didn't jog this week at all.

Suck it. :turboboink:

LabtopThief_jr
07-09-2010, 02:01 PM
So painting all day, bending over, lifting heavy objects and smashing them to pieces, stacking them up, throwing them away, cleaning, taping, and removing fixtures is a lame excuse? If you would have followed up on me you would know that i am always eager to get back out there and jog but sometimes i don't have the energy to or the weather does not permit. I am not looking for an excuse to not go out and jog i jogged last night and it was very humid but i didn't care because it was not raining and i was not tired so i went out.

Snorlax
07-10-2010, 02:41 PM
It's gonna be awhile before I can hit an 8 minute mile.

oncearunner
07-10-2010, 08:09 PM
your snorlax, ur never going to run an 8 minute mile...

unless you take mad x-speed

Replica
07-10-2010, 08:10 PM
It's gonna be awhile before I can hit an 8 minute mile.
Not a problem. The joy is in the process.

Snorlax
07-12-2010, 11:41 AM
your snorlax, ur never going to run an 8 minute mile...

unless you take mad x-speed

LOL. I need some Rare Candy to Level Up!!

Not a problem. The joy is in the process.

Being a Snorlax makes my naturally lazy. Someone find me a PokeFlute!!!

ChriS-_-
07-12-2010, 06:10 PM
didnt read the whole thread, but damn, 1mile in 16mins? i think i can power walk faster

oh yeh, running is all mental, to me it is

Homo
07-12-2010, 06:54 PM
8min mile is a piece of cake.

Texas Tacoma
07-19-2010, 03:38 PM
Yeah, if you're a 140lb shrimp!

Replica
07-19-2010, 03:44 PM
didnt read the whole thread, but damn, 1mile in 16mins? i think i can power walk faster

oh yeh, running is all mental, to me it is
Yep, down to 10:53.

kdt3
07-22-2010, 01:02 AM
hows your hear rate at the end?

TooCoo
07-22-2010, 06:39 AM
So yesterday i ran for the first time in a long time. didnt do too bad i guess i did 1.75 miles in 20 minutes. But now im jumping on the bandwagon. Im going for an 8min mile too.

so had to break away for a few days then got back on it last night...ran 2.4 miles in 24 minutes...so its not alot of progress but getting there. :thumb: its actually the first time in years that i've ran more than a mile. Felt pretty good and not a dry spot on my shirt.

LabtopThief_jr
07-22-2010, 10:58 AM
Make sure you have a good running form Rep that can dramatically help you last longer, last time i went out there i started running and i ran surprisingly long. Don't make your stride length too long you will end up tiring yourself out, back straight, head up, kick your heels up to your butt, don't make contact just bring your heels close to your butt, that will help your leg form and stride length. Try not to land on your heels first, i am sure you already know this but it's very important, land on your entire foot and push off with the front half of your foot flexing your calves. Just keep practicing and you will perfect your form.

TooCoo
07-22-2010, 01:05 PM
Make sure you have a good running form Rep that can dramatically help you last longer, last time i went out there i started running and i ran surprisingly long. Don't make your stride length too long you will end up tiring yourself out, back straight, head up, kick your heels up to your butt, don't make contact just bring your heels close to your butt, that will help your leg form and stride length. Try not to land on your heels first, i am sure you already know this but it's very important, land on your entire foot and push off with the front half of your foot flexing your calves. Just keep practicing and you will perfect your form.

i actually didint know that...im lifting today but ill run a bit and try it out...thanks for the pointers. :thumb:

Replica
07-22-2010, 01:06 PM
hows your hear rate at the end?
155 or so.

TooCoo
07-22-2010, 01:17 PM
i was dying yesterday...i was at 178...

Replica
07-22-2010, 01:17 PM
My heart rate is really sluggish to go up.