PDA

View Full Version : Gain Weight Supplements...

Skinny Steve
05-08-2010, 06:41 PM
Ok so I'm 6'5 and weigh in at 145, and I wanna get some more weight. I would say I eat a healthy diet, and I work out twice a week. My question is, there are so many supplements for weight loss, so there has to be something out there for gain eh? I tried the creatine shit, didnt really help. I added vitamins, still didnt help. Im comfortable with how the good lord made me, but damn, I'm sick of being skinny.

Any tips?

ZEDBIMMER
05-08-2010, 06:43 PM
Lift weights, eat six times a day, protein shakes could take 2 of those meals.

Winthrop
05-08-2010, 06:59 PM
I know lots of guys recommend Mass Gainers for ectomorphs like us instead of just the traditional Whey Protein. Basically just eat, eat, eat, and load up on all of the good calories and carbs that you can. 1-1.5g protein for every pound of body weight seems to be what most hardgainers call for.

Beyond that, just Google ectomorph and hardgainer and you should find some really good information that is more detailed than what I can give you.

Skinny Steve
05-08-2010, 08:05 PM
^thanks...now i got something to study at work tonight.

jaxwithanx
05-10-2010, 08:38 AM
Trust me, if you buy some good weightgainer (don't go GNC, overpriced) and stick to supplementing your current diet....you will gain weight. At 6'5" 145 even adding just some fat in general will look good, but try and focus on lifting weights and keep your heart rate down as much as possible during a workout. Bodybuilding.com has good resources and articles for hardgainers, but at that weight, it isn't rocket science to gain weight. Eat what you want and as much of it as you can, you need to work on expanding the stomach and throwing in calories.

lNlHo
05-10-2010, 09:04 AM
increase your calorie intake and get some good rest after the gym.

XImmaculateX
05-10-2010, 09:25 AM
dont buy any weight gainers its pretty over priced for a bag full of carb just buy complex carbs supplement u can get 8 pounds of carbs for around 30 bucks and buy some protein and mix them both alot cheaper than any weight gainer

DUBGURL19
05-11-2010, 09:52 AM
Food is the best form of weight gainer but you can supplement with a good mass protein...

Just be smart you need to know what you are eating and how much.

Journal and electronic scale!

Dirty3rd
05-11-2010, 09:58 AM
Trust me, if you buy some good weightgainer (don't go GNC, overpriced) and stick to supplementing your current diet....you will gain weight. At 6'5" 145 even adding just some fat in general will look good, but try and focus on lifting weights and keep your heart rate down as much as possible during a workout. Bodybuilding.com has good resources and articles for hardgainers, but at that weight, it isn't rocket science to gain weight. Eat what you want and as much of it as you can, you need to work on expanding the stomach and throwing in calories.

Just wondering what does keeping your heart rate do?

_lb
05-11-2010, 10:57 AM
Just wondering what does keeping your heart rate do?

Im guessing the higher your heart rate the more calories you'r burning. If your trying to gain weight you dont need to your heart rate so high.. For those trying to lose weight when lifting weight you should only rest maybe a 1min or so in between sets...

DUBGURL19
05-11-2010, 11:12 AM
You need to know how many calories you are burning a day - a heart rate montior or even a bodybugg can tell you how many calories you burn in a day - you have to eat more than you burn.

There are also test you can do at some gyms like lifetime that can tell you.

But if you burn 3500 calories a day and you are consuming 3000 you are still negative everyday so your chances of gaining well you know....

winc281
05-11-2010, 11:22 AM
dont buy any weight gainers its pretty over priced for a bag full of carb just buy complex carbs supplement u can get 8 pounds of carbs for around 30 bucks and buy some protein and mix them both alot cheaper than any weight gainer

wrd...or could just add oats, peanut butter, etc to your protein shake to up the calorie intake.

Skinny Steve
05-21-2010, 09:23 AM
You need to know how many calories you are burning a day - a heart rate montior or even a bodybugg can tell you how many calories you burn in a day - you have to eat more than you burn.

There are also test you can do at some gyms like lifetime that can tell you.

But if you burn 3500 calories a day and you are consuming 3000 you are still negative everyday so your chances of gaining well you know....

Makes sense. It's so complex. I gotta start counting calories now.

mr toolio
05-21-2010, 09:25 AM
6'5 and 145!?!? sheesh. I think I was 145 in 5th grade.

oncearunner
05-21-2010, 06:18 PM
Makes sense. It's so complex. I gotta start counting calories now.

no no no, dont do that. once you go down the road of counting calories, you'll end up obsessing over everything you eat for a long while.

keep it simple. buy some wieght gainer (make sure it has carbs + protein because thats the best post workout drink for your body to optimize gains) and take some for breakfast (if you dont have time to make a solid heavy caloric breakfast). i used to do this before school/work. and have a protein shake/weight gainer before bed as well.

if your a beginner, working out your entire body 2-3 times a week is the usual routine.

eat alot and work out. period, end of story. if your not getting sore, your wasting your time. look up an exercise program on the net (bodybuilding.com is a great site) and modify it to suit your body. not everyone will gain the same muscle mass as evenly as others.

cliff notes: stop reading this and go eat!!!!!!!! om nom nom nom

10js
05-21-2010, 09:06 PM
6'5 and 145!?!? sheesh. I think I was 145 in 5th grade.

It's Skinny Steve Bitch! :slap:

350zGuy
05-24-2010, 10:34 AM
eat a lot of bread and drink a lot tapioca!! that's how i got from 150 - 175. but i'm back down to 155 trying to hit 145. I pretty much hit a plateau and i'm fluctuating from 150 - 155. Good luck though dude! btw i'm only 5'5 and as you can see i was a pretty chubby kid!

texasteeth
05-24-2010, 05:14 PM
no supplements needed! just eat at chuy's! :)

Moctezuma05
05-25-2010, 09:54 PM
I'm 5'9 @ 130 and started my mission to gain weight a week ago. I got a weight gainer (Serious Mass) and have been taking half servings just to supplement my daily intake. My GF goes to the gym so I just signed up today and hope to get to about 145, then i'll be happy.

jaxwithanx
05-26-2010, 08:03 PM
no no no, dont do that. once you go down the road of counting calories, you'll end up obsessing over everything you eat for a long while.

keep it simple. buy some wieght gainer (make sure it has carbs + protein because thats the best post workout drink for your body to optimize gains) and take some for breakfast (if you dont have time to make a solid heavy caloric breakfast). i used to do this before school/work. and have a protein shake/weight gainer before bed as well.

if your a beginner, working out your entire body 2-3 times a week is the usual routine.

eat alot and work out. period, end of story. if your not getting sore, your wasting your time. look up an exercise program on the net (bodybuilding.com is a great site) and modify it to suit your body. not everyone will gain the same muscle mass as evenly as others.

cliff notes: stop reading this and go eat!!!!!!!! om nom nom nom

I agree with all of this except maybe the workout routine. Just concentrating on hitting your major muscle groups once a week is what usually works best for pure mass gain. Hit the chest and tri's, back and bi's and legs with a day off in between, but eating 3 shakes a day in between meals (even on off days). I guarantee you will gain weight that way.

SAR05
06-11-2010, 03:26 PM
My husband is the same way. Almost 6'5 140. That man tries everything. He eats and eats and eats more but his metabolism works faster then anything I've seen. In and out in less then 15 minutes if you know what I mean.

It doesnt help that he does AC/HEAT and installs units in 190 degree attics all day. He wont work out though. He thinks by working out he'll loose ANY fat he does have.....which really isnt anything. I'll have to point him to this thread but I just dont see anything working for him.

oncearunner
06-12-2010, 01:38 AM
My husband is the same way. Almost 6'5 140. That man tries everything. He eats and eats and eats more but his metabolism works faster then anything I've seen. In and out in less then 15 minutes if you know what I mean.

It doesnt help that he does AC/HEAT and installs units in 190 degree attics all day. He wont work out though. He thinks by working out he'll loose ANY fat he does have.....which really isnt anything. I'll have to point him to this thread but I just dont see anything working for him.

ya, what he will find out, is that he will actually gain muscle mass byworking out his muscles. break them down, and then build them back up even stronger.

you cant just throw calories at the problem if your a skinny stick, you have to workout. i was 6'1-2'' 155 a couple years ago. now im 186!

Skinny Steve
06-13-2010, 03:28 PM
I'm up to 150 now...just been eating and working out twice a week. I go jogging like every other day, but I've always done that.

.CÚsar.
06-17-2010, 06:32 AM
I'm up to 150 now...just been eating and working out twice a week. I go jogging like every other day, but I've always done that.

Make sure you weigh yourself in the mornings and at the same time everyday. That way you know you are not just weighing in with water weight :p

Keep up the workouts as you will slowly be seeing the changes you want :thumb:

Moctezuma05
06-24-2010, 04:46 PM

Lucky. I'm still at 130, I definately feel stronger tho and my arms look bigger. Still taking the weight gainer although not as often, it really takes a toll on my stomache. Picked up some Labrada bars yesterday to eat in between meals. They taste pretty decent, just gotta get used to the texture.

k20hatchR
06-25-2010, 10:42 AM
My husband is the same way. Almost 6'5 140. That man tries everything. He eats and eats and eats more but his metabolism works faster then anything I've seen. In and out in less then 15 minutes if you know what I mean. not possible he has a fast metabolism, and he is not craping out what he just ate

It doesnt help that he does AC/HEAT and installs units in 190 degree attics all day. He wont work out though. that is how he stays lean He thinks by working out he'll loose ANY fat he does have.....which really isnt anything. I'll have to point him to this thread but I just dont see anything working for him.

It is real simple guys you have to eat more
it all depends on you you eat crap your going to look and feel like crap.
you eat clean and your going to grow
i know you hear eat more but what i mean by this is you have to push past your thresh hold of what your mind and body tell you example:

a friend of mine was 145lb and wanted to gain so i explained it to him and when we would go out to eat we would both order the same plate and he would get "fuller" sooner when i would get content. so his thresh hold was alot sooner then mine. So to him to be on my level it felt like he was stuffing his face and he acheived it..

you have to slowly consume more at each sitting and eat more and when your mind tells you your "content" you push more food in your mouth, then when your "full" you do just alittle bit more food, it sux for a few weeks cause you feel like your stuffing your face but after awhile your body and mind get used to it and just keep pushing it in. The cleaner the better...

and when you are doing this you can stay off the cardio and if you have a solid training program you are going to grow...
IN all honesty doing it the natural way "stuffing your face" is more benificial then supps or anything out there...

there are no supps but weight gainer is good if you want to incorporate that into your nutrition as a drink

winc281
06-25-2010, 02:04 PM
You better to clean bulk then to stuff your face with junk. Making your own weight gainer wouldn't hurt either. Just throw a banana, couple spoons of pb, and maybe some oats into your protein shake and blend it all together.

sO_OSexy
06-25-2010, 04:33 PM
Sucks to be skinny =(
I started working out 5 months ago, I started working out 5 times a week and eating 3 meals a day ......

I used to weight 98lb and im 5 feet tall, size 1 in jeans .....never liked my body much
But whenever I started working out and eating more in bigger portions I started noticing a big change in my body .....

When I was working out I also stuffed my face with fast food LMAO....not a good choice.....after 1 month I started noticing a big time change on my body.....My pants didn't want to fit me anymore and went to wearing jeans size 3 .....

Now I weight 106lb and I'm more happy than ever.....working out helped me out BIG time...gaining muscle....but I also stopped eating burgers everyday because I was scared I might blow up all of the sudden lmao.....Now I only eat 1 fast food per week....and the rest of the week I eat healthy .....

biglos
06-25-2010, 04:56 PM
ibleghumps.