PDA

View Full Version : Road bike people, step into my office.

Perf_White_GT
04-18-2010, 05:58 PM
I am considering getting into road biking since i am setting a new goal of being able to do a triathlon within a year. I am 5'6 145 lbs and my budget is around 350-500ish (maybe more..)

what are some pro tips i should know to make my search a bit easier?

i know that my budget wont get me a high end bike, but should be able to get one that is good enough to help me cross the finish line.

Trung
04-18-2010, 06:14 PM
350-500ish, look on craigslist.

If you can, I'd recommend spending a little more and shopping at your local bike shop. Reason for that is, they'll help get you fitted, help you find what you need/don't need. And you can try as many bikes as you want before buying. There's also a bike thread in rambling you might want to pop into. A lot of knowledgeable people there.

Perf_White_GT
04-18-2010, 06:26 PM
350-500ish, look on craigslist.

If you can, I'd recommend spending a little more and shopping at your local bike shop. Reason for that is, they'll help get you fitted, help you find what you need/don't need. And you can try as many bikes as you want before buying. There's also a bike thread in rambling you might want to pop into. A lot of knowledgeable people there.

hmmmmm... i can spend a little more... and there is a bike shop not too far from campus... maybe i will pop in there tomorrow after class...

ryk
04-19-2010, 07:59 AM
LOL @ the thread title. Perfectly worded. Even though I'm traumatized with offices since grade school - god damn that principal.

Trung has some great advice. I bought a used bianchi once and thought I was in like Flynn till I took it for a long ride. That bike was sooo not for me. I ended up going to NW cyclery and they coupled me with my 2 wheel beauty whom I have an affair with nightly.

Although, I'm bettin' that there's gonna be alot of bikes up for sale on CL after this weekends ms150.

cent
04-19-2010, 08:06 AM
I would try to buy new if you can. Like Trung said you want to make sure that you get the bike thats right for you. Fair warning though you will spend well over 600 bucks if you don't go used. I was shopping around a few months ago, and I was looking at almost double that. I decided a road bike wasn't for me. lol