PDA

View Full Version : The Difference Between Kobe and LeBron Is That Kobe Works (Great Article)

Vick_
03-23-2010, 09:31 AM
A must read....

There was a time when Kobe Bryant was a premier athlete in this league. But even in his prime he would never compare to the Paul Bunyan-esque physical attributes of LeBron James. However, physical features are not the biggest difference between Kobe and LeBron.

In fact, they're similar in many ways. They're both alpha dogs on their conference leading teams. They're the two most popular players in the league. And this marks the fourth year of "Kobe or LeBron" discussions, with LeBron taking the lion's share of the votes this season.

The "greatest player in the world" discussion is saved for a rare few, but Kobe and LeBron have owned it for years. So how did they get here?

Kobe earned it.

LeBron was handed it.

LeBron was last year's MVP and will continue that trend, not just this year, but for many years to come. His team once again leads the league in regular season wins. And if "the best player in the world" means putting up numbers and dunks right out of a video game, he's got that title locked up.

But if it means something more, then has there ever been a player so universally acclaimed that has done so little? That is LeBron's life. The NBA's golden boy before he ever stepped onto an NBA court. "The King" before attaining his first win.

It's old news that Kobe is the most polarizing figure in sports. Coming out of high school it was love him or hate him, but thirteen-years later those who hated Kobe now respect him. They respect his legendary work ethic. They respect his accomplishments.

Kobe has earned every shred of begrudged respect there is for him.

He had to rebuild himself time and time again. First overcoming selfishness and aloofness early in his career. Then the Colorado sexual-assault case. Then the messy divorce with Shaquille O'Neal that rocked Los Angeles. Then his own trade demand.

He moved past it all. He answered by winning. He started the 2007-08 season by getting boo'd in his own arena. He finished that season with 20,000 fans enthusiastically chanting three letters as he received the MVP award.

No one rises up again and again like Bryant.

He's rebuilt himself throughout his career. When he felt like he was getting pushed around on the court, he put on muscle. When he felt he could be more explosive and quicker, he shed excess weight.

He returns every season, honed and increasingly perfected.

When Kobe was developing his jumper he'd spend his offseason making 2,000 shots a day. Not taking. Making.

With one ball and one rebounder, Kobe can make 500 shots in about 60 minutes. Then he scored 81 points in one game. Or at least 50 in four consecutive games. Or seven game-winning shots this season. The fruit of hundreds of thousands of made jump shots in an empty gym when he's off the clock.

His work ethic and training habits have allowed him to outlast his contemporaries—Vince Carter, Allen Iverson, Tracy McGrady. Talented players who would have achieved so much more if they had pushed themselves. But no one pushes themselves harder than Kobe.

The Trailblazers came and went. The Kings came and went. The Spurs aren't great. The Celtics were great for one year. Kobe is still great. He's outlasted every rival.

Phil Jackson called him the most skilled player he's ever seen. Even a begrudged Shaquille O'Neal admitted that he never had a teammate that worked as hard as Kobe, who he described as "borderline possessed" about working out each day. It's no wonder that tandem didn't work out. Kobe could never empathize with Shaq's half-hearted efforts. Their relationship had an expiration date from the moment they shook hands.

Kobe never wanted to be a global icon. Just the best ball player. And he became so great that even the coldest skeptics had to love him.

Scoop Jackson summed it up:

"Kobe could give a damn what you think about him. As long as there’s a hardwood court, a rock, and 48 minutes, he’ll go out there and do whatever necessary to win, on both sides of the ball. But LeBron wants to know what you think about him. He needs it, to validate his growing perception of his status among the best players. He feeds off the crowd, and plays to your expectations."

LeBron is an entertainer. Time will tell if he'll have a career like Shaq's, which was good enough to win four championships on talent alone, but never reaching his ceiling. The liquid nitrogen that runs through Kobe's veins is born in the chilling depths of adversity. LeBron mimics it, but that steely determination cannot be taught.

It was Kobe's presence on Team USA that upped the ante. While LeBron "led through his words and actions at practice and on the team bus," Chris Sheridan reported, "Bryant led through his work ethic." Dwyane Wade, Carmelo Anthony, and LeBron got a firsthand view of Kobe's workout. The impression was lasting.

All three of those players have elevated their games. The rest of the league is feeling the ripple effect of that summer together.

And although he had only generated bronze medals, LeBron proclaimed himself the leader of that team. Yet it was Kobe who set the tone and focus that summer. And when it came to crunch time, the rest of the squad looked to the most accomplished player on the court.

Sheridan continues, "So James and Bryant remain rivals in many ways. People close to James say it bothered him that Bryant was the one getting the lion's share of the rock star treatment in China, and it had to come as a surprise to James that the Madison Square Garden crowd did not rally behind him in anything even remotely resembling the way it had showered Bryant with affection [during his 61-point performance]."

Kobe had earned the respect of the Madison Square Garden crowd. He earned the respect of Team USA. He has earned your and my respect.

So let's nix the LeBron talk until he accomplishes something great. He has a fantastic chance of doing it this June. Most likely against Kobe himself. And when he does finally beat the best player in the world, he'll have earned the title for himself.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/366456-the-difference-between-kobe-and-lebron-is-that-kobe-works

winc281
03-23-2010, 09:43 AM
Wouldn't really call it a great article. Seemed way too one sided.

Scientific
03-23-2010, 09:49 AM

biased.

Really, Kobe works? Who said he didnt? That article its just a bunch stuff we've already been knowing.

PeteSi
03-23-2010, 09:51 AM
yeah. that shit was way biased. They handed LeBron hype. And that's it. He earned everything else. They didn't proclaim him 'King'. Its just that it worked with his last name. Duh. lol.

ThaJokaa
03-23-2010, 09:53 AM

unitedelements
03-23-2010, 12:01 PM
Dumb article....they are both great players...they both make thier teams what they are

Drift Gangsta
03-23-2010, 02:53 PM
the difference is lebrons better

AccordSE
03-23-2010, 02:55 PM

in 2 yrs

mtran
03-23-2010, 10:44 PM

maybe at dancing. lebron is not a better basketball player than kobe.

no doubt lebron is the mvp, but hes not the best basketball player in the league. even karl malone won mvps when michael was still around, didnt mean karl was better than michael. hell, even dirk has won an mvp and even HE was never the clear cut, best pf in the league at any given time in his career.

Drift Gangsta
03-23-2010, 10:59 PM
maybe at dancing. lebron is not a better basketball player than kobe.

no doubt lebron is the mvp, but hes not the best basketball player in the league.
:really?:

he's clearly ahead of everybody else in the league.

29/9/7 on a 50% shooting on a 56-15 team right now?

PeteSi
03-23-2010, 11:10 PM
LeBron is a terrible dancer. If he battled Shaq, LeBron would get served.

mtran
03-23-2010, 11:48 PM
:really?:

he's clearly ahead of everybody else in the league.

29/9/7 on a 50% shooting on a 56-15 team right now?

he has the ball in his hand 95% of the time. i mean honestly, id call him overrated if he DIDNT average that as much as he handle the rock and as much of the offense runs through him. even mj, at his peak championship years, didnt average beastly numbers. but we all knew whats up. he was ALWAYS the best player. he didnt average the most assists. or the most rebounds. or the most steals. or the most blocks.

stats dont always tell you the whole story. the triangle offense is predicated on equal opportunity and the best shot availible. lebrons offense is let him dictate what HE wants to do with the ball. and 7 times a game, he dishes it out to a shooter in position. how many time does yao, kobe, brooks, lowry or even battier pass the ball to an open shooter, only for them to pass it again a couple more times before someone shoots?

lebron dictates his offense and its no wonder why his stats are so beastly. but if were talking free throws, mid range jumpers, scoring around the basket thats NOT a dunk, contested 3s, low post offense, low post footwork, position in the post, defensive stance, etc. kobe has all that on lock. lebron is a better athlete. hes a better stat stuffer. hes a better passer. hes better at getting to the rim at will. but he is NOT a better basketball player than kobe bryant yet.

mtran
03-23-2010, 11:49 PM
LeBron is a terrible dancer. If he battled Shaq, LeBron would get served.

dwight was an original jabbawockeez

Drift Gangsta
03-24-2010, 12:14 AM
lebron dictates his offense and its no wonder why his stats are so beastly. but if were talking free throws, mid range jumpers, scoring around the basket thats NOT a dunk, contested 3s, low post offense, low post footwork, position in the post, defensive stance, etc. kobe has all that on lock. lebron is a better athlete. hes a better stat stuffer. hes a better passer. hes better at getting to the rim at will. but he is NOT a better basketball player than kobe bryant yet.

now your highlighting the things kobe does better than lebron in an attempt to prop up kobe.

contested 3's? lol

why does that matter? the fact is lebron is clearly the best basketball player in the league right now. tho his game may be different than kobe's and different in how they both get things done , his impact is far greater overall than kobe.

i HATE PER but Lebron having one the highest PER 's of alltime is nothing to ignore.

mtran
03-24-2010, 12:21 AM
now your highlighting the things kobe does better than lebron in an attempt to prop up kobe.

contested 3's? lol

why does that matter? the fact is lebron is clearly the best basketball player in the league right now. tho his game may be different than kobe's and they both get things done , his impact is far greater overall than kobe

just curious, tell me what lebron does BETTER than kobe. hell, i dont even think kobe is the most complete offensive player in the league. i hold that title for carmelo, and i might even put durant behind melo before kobe. they get buckets easier than kobe imho. i just dont see lebron in kobes league in terms of pure basketball skillset. but on the flipside, kobe doesnt have the court vision or passing lebron has. or the physique to get to the rim (partially due to his age and injuries).

riddle me this, lebron gets hurt. microfracture knee surgery. he comes back limping like tmac. what can he fall back on? 7 years in and hes still relying on athleticism to score. what happens when his athleticism fails him?

how can you say he is CLEARLY the best basketball player when there is still an argument? obviously, if theres arguments for both players, there isnt a CLEAR cut winner.

mtran
03-24-2010, 12:24 AM
i HATE PER but Lebron having one the highest PER 's of alltime is nothing to ignore.

tmac has a pretty high PER if im not mistaken. but then again in orlando, he had the ball pretty much in his hands all will. passed when he wanted to, hell he even passes to himself off the glass when he wanted to.

per measures efficiency. of course lebron is more efficient at getting to the basket and scoring easier buckets. layups and dunks are more efficient than shooting fadeaways and 3s. that stat tells me nothing. just like +/- doesnt tell the whole story.

Drift Gangsta
03-24-2010, 12:53 AM
just curious, tell me what lebron does BETTER than kobe. hell, i dont even think kobe is the most complete offensive player in the league. i hold that title for carmelo, and i might even put durant behind melo before kobe. they get buckets easier than kobe imho. i just dont see lebron in kobes league in terms of pure basketball skillset. but on the flipside, kobe doesnt have the court vision or passing lebron has. or the physique to get to the rim (partially due to his age and injuries).

lebron has more tools to fall back on when his shot is not going in than kobe.

if lebron shot is struggling he can understand that he is not shooting the ball well and he can go into pg mode and setup for teammates.

but when kobe's shot is not falling (even when his shot is falling) he has a tendency to continue chucking and not get his teammates more involved. (jordan averaged more assist than kobe despite them playing in the same offense because jordan understood at times when his shot was not falling that he had to setup for others.)

something phil has commented on before.

ycvDSjmq1D0

also kobe is a better one on one defender than lebron but lebron is a better help defender and defender when not on ball.

kobe has a tendency to sag off his man which when he plays someone that's a good three point shooter, kobe usually forgets about his man on the perimeter and gets burned (i.e. q-rich during the miami game). something else phil has criticized kobe about.

the point is lebron can affect the game in more ways than kobe can which is why i said he has an overall bigger impact than kobe.

you cant compare skillsets because they play 2 different positions and have a different style of play. that's why i say impact than skillset. you cant compare the skillset of a guard to a forward because they do different things.

shaq was CLEARLY the best player in he early 2000's but his skillset was different compared to say garnett but his overall impact on the game was FAR greater than garnett.

kobe is a great scorer and a good defender but lebron brings more to the table and impacts the overall game to a greater extent than kobe.

riddle me this, lebron gets hurt. microfracture knee surgery. he comes back limping like tmac. what can he fall back on? 7 years in and hes still relying on athleticism to score. what happens when his athleticism fails him?
.this is an discussion for another time.

jordan, even kobe had to retool his game after their athleticism starts to dwindle.

that's up to lebron to see how he adjust is game when his athleticism starts to fade.

Bloodwings19
03-24-2010, 09:57 AM
the difference is Kobe better in the clutch

fixed

MoToHeAd125
03-24-2010, 10:31 AM
lets suck Kobe's dick some more.

Mr.TxHustla
03-24-2010, 11:06 AM
Kobe is a killer.Lebron aint yet.

Nega-Patio
03-24-2010, 12:23 PM
so much nut riding in this thread I can't believe it

tenguin
03-24-2010, 02:27 PM
yeah, carl landry is the best player in the league. jigga jigga yeah.

Hous10
03-24-2010, 03:31 PM
FU*K KOBE!!!

He's what Kanye west is to Music....

OVER-RATED.

Can't stand that bastard! I will NEVER be a Kobe fan..

I can't stand arrogance.

cereal foreal
03-24-2010, 05:20 PM
lebron was handed talent just as much as kobe, mj, dr. j, me, you, etc. duh skill depends on practice, but your genetics and your environment is what it really comes down to.

article is just as dumb as any other opinionated article not referencing genetics and environment as factors. not everyone will be great just by practicing everyday. tmac didnt even play bball til when? why cant some asia in laos become the next mj? probably because his genetics and the fact that there are no great players in that nation to keep on adapting to and building up skills against.

bigharrywang
03-24-2010, 05:44 PM
FU*K KOBE!!!

He's what Kanye west is to Music....

OVER-RATED.

Can't stand that bastard! I will NEVER be a Kobe fan..

I can't stand arrogance.

that's pretty ignorant.

i can't stand arrogance either but kobe deserves to be called a good ball player. you don't have to be a kobe fan but at least respect him. he's showed that he can perform under pressure and is one of the best ball players in the league right now. even with injuries he will play on. i don't think he's over rated. he's rated where he should be. one of the best. i'm not saying he is the absolute best but he's no doubt at the top.

bigharrywang
03-24-2010, 05:48 PM
lebron was handed talent just as much as kobe, mj, dr. j, me, you, etc. duh skill depends on practice, but your genetics and your environment is what it really comes down to.

article is just as dumb as any other opinionated article not referencing genetics and environment as factors. not everyone will be great just by practicing everyday. tmac didnt even play bball til when? why cant some asia in laos become the next mj? probably because his genetics and the fact that there are no great players in that nation to keep on adapting to and building up skills against.

to be honest, i'd rather have skill over talent. talent can fade over time and with age. skill is a consistent force that stays with you as long as you keep practicing.

i don't think the article is dumb. it shows the one side of the story that defends kobe but just not lebron. all nba players have talent but some get there because of skill. some work harder than others. what the article was just trying to point out was the fact that kobe works really hard to get where he is and that's what makes him a great ball player compared to lebron that works hard as well but not as hard.

and i believe that if someone practices hard enough and wants it bad enough, they can do wonders. maybe not reach the nba due to genetics like you stated but they can get pretty damn good. i used to have a terrible mid range shot. now i can knock it down under pressure. all i did was practice my form everyday. my basketball coach taught me that it's all about your mind set. if you want to continue to be ignorant than that is the only thing holding you back from achieving more. maybe you can't be number one but you can improve your game a lot with practice.

cheap_ass
03-24-2010, 06:02 PM
so much nut riding in this thread I can't believe it

for reals. does it really matter who they think is the better ball player?

cereal foreal
03-24-2010, 06:34 PM
i just said talent because the guy wrote "lebron was handed talent". to me talent, skill, attributes, powers, etc..... all mean the same to me. just different ways of trying to identify humans between one another

B18C1EG
03-24-2010, 06:48 PM
More like the difference is Kobe is actually surrounded by talent.

johnball
03-24-2010, 07:19 PM
matt bullard best in the game.

Scientific
03-24-2010, 07:30 PM
i just said talent because the guy wrote "lebron was handed talent". to me talent, skill, attributes, powers, etc..... all mean the same to me. just different ways of trying to identify humans between one another

That shows the wirters nut sucking of Kobe. Kobe is the son of a former NBA player. Had all the resources available to him to excel in his sport, grew up in Italy. Nothing was handed to LeBron. Both were blessed with god given talent, but its crap to say he was handed anything.

More like the difference is Kobe is actually surrounded by talent.

ding ding ding.

x_sl33py
03-30-2010, 12:13 PM
if they want to crown lebron, crown his ass. he still gotta take the championship away from kobe in my opinion to have the monikor of best player in the nba. once that happens, then im ready to pass the torch to lebron.

mtran
03-30-2010, 03:05 PM
Kobe is the son of a former NBA player. Had all the resources available to him to excel in his sport, grew up in Italy. Nothing was handed to LeBron. Both were blessed with god given talent, but its crap to say he was handed anything.

michael jordan's son, marcus and jeffrey jordan, arent even the .000001th as good as their dad was. neither one are 5 star recruits.

patrick ewing jr couldnt even stick on a team after georgetown.

dell curry was hardly a supreme baller, whereas his son steph curry is in the running for roy.

i think alot of people make a big deal out of who players parents were, but when it comes down to it, its genetics. lets not forget, kobes dad wasnt exactly a superstar in the nba.

but when i think people say lebron was handed things, its the hype of being "king james" without conquering anything in the league. scoring titles, an mvp, one finals appearance, couple of asg mvps, but no championship.

to be the best, dont you have to win it all? kinda like peyton manning couldnt hold bradys jock regardless of all those records until he had a sb ring. i guess i look at it like that. to be the ABSOLUTE best, you have to have been the absolute best, meaning the last team remaining come june.

pearl lude
03-30-2010, 04:20 PM
lebron is a better athlete, kobe is a more developed basketball player. end of story

PeteSi
03-30-2010, 04:24 PM
dell curry was hardly a supreme baller, whereas his son steph curry is in the running for roy.

wtf? Dell was the definition of a pure shooter. He was lights out. He was just on a lot of bad teams.

Drift Gangsta
03-30-2010, 04:43 PM
http://i47.tinypic.com/35ibups.jpg

Ohdubbz
03-30-2010, 06:16 PM
^^that picture had me really confused for a second.

laosonick
03-30-2010, 06:24 PM
never did like kobe. his attitude makes me dislike him.

mtran
03-30-2010, 07:56 PM
wtf? Dell was the definition of a pure shooter. He was lights out. He was just on a lot of bad teams.

dell was a spot up shooter.

PeteSi
03-30-2010, 08:03 PM
dell was a spot up shooter.

youre gay

mjp
03-30-2010, 08:25 PM
lebron is a better athlete, kobe is a more developed basketball player. end of story

:thumb::thumb:

demonfox
03-31-2010, 04:36 PM

how can you say he is CLEARLY the best basketball player when there is still an argument? obviously, if theres arguments for both players, there isnt a CLEAR cut winner.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-6iibPJb-yo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-6iibPJb-yo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

tenguin
04-02-2010, 02:16 AM
youre gay

i dont know why, but i lmao when i read this comment. how gay do you have to be when pete calls you gay.

olajuwon is the greatest nba player period.

x_sl33py
04-02-2010, 11:29 AM
in terms of who is the most "complete player". i still think it's lebron, but it's because he does rely on his athleticism though. Here are my rankings in order broken down into fundamentals.

BBall IQ: Kobe, Lebron, Melo= Durant
mid range: Melo = Durant =Kobe, Lebron
Outside range: Melo = Durant, Kobe, Lebron
Dribbling ability: Kobe >= Lebron, Durant, Anthony
(inside)Post up game: Lebron (always finish at the rim), Kobe = Melo = Durant
Rebound = Lebron, Melo, Kobe =Durant
Passing = Lebron, Kobe, Melo = Durant
Defense = Lebron, Kobe, Durant, Melo

so really, the only skillset i really see melo and durant have better than kobe and lebron are really just outside shooting and maybe mid range shooting. Lebron is more complete at everything else.

x_sl33py
04-02-2010, 11:39 AM
and i just checked statistically percentage wise, kobe and lebron have a higher 3pt percentage then melo and slightly below durantula.

koolaider
04-08-2010, 10:48 PM
Kevin Durant is better than both of them! The difference is kobe has won it all.