PDA

View Full Version : 92 Teg rear brakes locked up!

GS-RTEG
03-19-2010, 07:48 PM
So the rear calipers on my 92 GS-R are locked up! With brand new pads it feels like driving with the e-brake halfway up and after about a month those brand new pads are worn to metal. The chances are very slim that both calipers are "sticking" at the same time and Ive already pulled the abs fuse and that doesnt help...so that tells me the abs motor is ok. Im leaning next towards replacing the proportion valve and wheel speed sensors then master cylinder if that doesnt work. Just wondering if anyone has had the same problem im having and has a solution. Thanks in advance for the replies:thumb:

And if you have something smart ass to say, please keep it to yourself:really?:

pennywise
03-20-2010, 09:48 AM
The chances are very slim that both calipers are "sticking" ?:

why?

GS-RTEG
03-20-2010, 02:23 PM
why?

what are the chances that one day they're fine then the next both rear calipers are sticking with the exact same amount of pressure to wear all four pads evenly? Its gotta be something not releasing pressure from the rear.

icemanimports
03-23-2010, 02:49 PM
i agree with you that it is highly unlikely that its an intermittent problem. i will say though that i believe your problem to be sticking caliper pistons this is far more typical in 9+ year old cars than a bad proportioning valve. plus its a lot less hassle to go get two 60 dollar calipers than a 100+ dollar PV, plus a lot less line bleeding will be necessary. anyways if you have a bit more diagnostically relevant info perhaps i could tell you more certainly.

GS-RTEG
03-23-2010, 04:31 PM
But like I said, i just think the chances of BOTH rear calipers sticking at the same time is unlikely. Both rear calipers wear down the pads equally between both rear wheels so that is why I believe it to be something not releasing pressure from those calipers. Maybe brake booster? Looks like the stock one. Hopefully I can look into it this weekend and come up with more of a diagnosis.

icemanimports
03-23-2010, 09:02 PM
brake booster would not cause just the back or just the front to do anything. it would just be relatively hard to push the pedal, also easy as all get out to check just unplug your vacuum line to it and plug it. as for the likely hood that to calipers would be stuck is low but its also very likely that your ebrake cables are to tight and/or the release has bound up. this rarely happens unless the car has sat in rain for a long time.

icemanimports
03-23-2010, 09:05 PM
basically im saying you should focus on the e brake mechanism and then maybe look at the hydraulic system.

GS-RTEG
03-23-2010, 09:12 PM
The e-brake is definately ok and the brake pedal is very hard. I was talking to my step-dad, who was a mechanic for 25 years and he seams to think its my proportion valve. Im thinking the same thing also because I know they have a check valve inside and just maybe this 20 year old check valve got some moisture or something inside there and is stuck, thus not letting the pressure off the rear calipers. That'll be the first thing I replace....there should be several DAs at pick a part with abs and the proportion valve still there. Ill snag one there and try it before buying one new.

du ma may
03-23-2010, 09:24 PM
brake booster,proportion valve suppose to have pressure.

du ma may
03-23-2010, 09:32 PM
stupid lag^ i'm guessing brake booster because of hard pedal and as for proportion valve it suppose to have pressure. just to let u know rear brake should have a slight drag.

icemanimports
03-24-2010, 05:05 AM
stupid lag^ i'm guessing brake booster because of hard pedal and as for proportion valve it suppose to have pressure. just to let u know rear brake should have a slight drag.

DUH. all four brakes should "drag" or else you would get hella funky pad wear. the B.B. is a vacuum operated diaphragm that when in the presence of a vacuum is pulled against the input rod of the master cylinder, this allows for drastically less pressure to be applied to the brake pedal. when the brake booster is in operative it is like trying to push the pedal with the car off. if you think im still wrong about this just try what i said in my previous post just undo the hose and plug it, if the pedal changes feel then your booster is more or less working correctly.

GS-RTEG
03-24-2010, 04:23 PM
DUH. all four brakes should "drag" or else you would get hella funky pad wear. the B.B. is a vacuum operated diaphragm that when in the presence of a vacuum is pulled against the input rod of the master cylinder, this allows for drastically less pressure to be applied to the brake pedal. when the brake booster is in operative it is like trying to push the pedal with the car off. if you think im still wrong about this just try what i said in my previous post just undo the hose and plug it, if the pedal changes feel then your booster is more or less working correctly.

Ill def. give that a shot, there is also this little valve that I inline with the vaccum hose going from the booster to the intake manifold and I've read that these are common to go out on these year model tegs; could be plugged up and not giving vaccum to the booster. Thanks for the input, that could def. be my problem since you explained it that way!

icemanimports
03-24-2010, 06:13 PM
Ill def. give that a shot, there is also this little valve that I inline with the vaccum hose going from the booster to the intake manifold and I've read that these are common to go out on these year model tegs; could be plugged up and not giving vaccum to the booster. Thanks for the input, that could def. be my problem since you explained it that way!
that is right. but again the booster will affect all 4 wheels equally, even if its just that valve. the only two things that will affect rear only would be a stuck caliper (or two), a stuck e brake cable or release mechanism, or maybe a proportioning valve (very unlikely). unless you are not certain of the rear only condition then focus on these three first and repeatedly.

GS-RTEG
03-25-2010, 04:21 PM
problem solved! Sold the car haha, the new owner has a parts car to fix this problem.

icemanimports
03-25-2010, 08:58 PM
interesting solve

GS-RTEG
03-25-2010, 09:49 PM
HAHA, yeah its the 92 gs-r w/type r swap thats been for sale or trade for a while now. Finally got a buyer for it today and hopefully he'll fix it soon and let me know what the culprit was! Thanks for your help iceman!