PDA

View Full Version : Any accounting guys out there??

therest
03-09-2010, 02:17 PM
Hey guys, I'm an accountant major right now, and I'm looking to gain insight experience on how an accountant works in the real world and carry some experience before I graduate. I was wondering if any of you guys work somewhere where they would allow a college student work as a bookkeeper or simply be an assistant to an accountant with no experience. Not worried about how much it pays but I am really interested in getting some experience guys. thanx

BigdawgR6
03-09-2010, 02:24 PM
PM Sent

CandymanVending
03-09-2010, 02:47 PM
how long before you grad? I am an accounting major also good luck:thumb:

therest
03-09-2010, 03:38 PM
Depends how many classes i take, I skipped a semester and it throws my schedule off. I would like to graduate in a year, but it would probably include 15 hr semesters in the next summer, fall, and spring. ugh. what about you?

kthxbai
03-09-2010, 06:01 PM
getting experience before you graduate is a big plus. im currently a graduate with an accounting degree and its tough finding a job with no experience.

therest
03-09-2010, 06:11 PM
seriously? suxs man, im reconsidering changing majors but in a way i dont want to.

xCiviCxSIx
03-10-2010, 02:26 AM
seriously? suxs man, im reconsidering changing majors but in a way i dont want to.
are you thinking about getting your CPA?

therest
03-10-2010, 07:00 AM
yes

smokinlala
03-10-2010, 08:31 AM
Get your CPA and get public accounting experience...after you make Sr. move to industry. You'll make around 50k a year for the first 3yrs without any increase and work at minimal 50+ hrs a week.

From someone with real world experience accounting fucking sucks bro. Everyone I know hates it no matter where you work...public or industry..I work in energy and accounting is by far the lowest paying segment of the business. I have friends who are in HR, public relations, work health dept. who easily started 65k (and get raises bigger and faster) where as accountants make aroudn 50-55k starting...you tell me who has a more difficult job.

Plus with GAAP phasing out in 2010 it's going to make it so much easier for everyone to outsource accounting jobs to India, Philipines, and or Argentina. Just to give you a perspective the company I work for pays filipinos in philippines 5k-8k a year doing the same shit we do over here.

smokinlala
03-10-2010, 08:33 AM
Get a skillset that can not be easily outsourced and accounting is one that can be.

therest
03-10-2010, 10:21 AM
Thanx for the insight, I really needed this. Also, did you say you worked as an accountant or just have friends tell you this?

mike_do
03-10-2010, 06:03 PM
from his knowledge of GAAP he probably works in the field. take what you can get man i'm currently on the hunt as well but my gpa is not high enough to meet standards of most big 4 firms. from what i'm hearing is that internships are pretty scarce this hiring season. good luck though man

OniLink
03-12-2010, 12:53 AM
Get an internship to get experience, it's the best way and good way to get a full time job. If you're going to school, join clubs and organizations so that you can start networking and meet accountants to learn more about what they do. I go to UH, and am in Beta Alpha Psi which gives students a shit load of face time with all the accounting companies, especially the big 4 and other main mid-market accounting firms.

Idk about the other people, but I actually enjoy accounting (as far as my classes), and am looking forward to working in public accounting.

10sion
03-19-2010, 02:25 PM
getting experience before you graduate is a big plus. im currently a graduate with an accounting degree and its tough finding a job with no experience.
i agree...

graduated in December '08 and haven't found any type of work without experience.

therest
03-24-2010, 03:55 PM
i agree...

graduated in December '08 and haven't found any type of work without experience.

I dont understand why, how did you do in school?? I know experience is necessary but where do you go to start? And what did you do?

10sion
03-31-2010, 01:54 AM
I dont understand why, how did you do in school?? I know experience is necessary but where do you go to start? And what did you do?
i did well in school....

i had a 3.1 gpa and the only related experience is volunteering with VITA to help assist filing tax returns.

Enron Exec
03-31-2010, 07:27 AM
Get a skillset that can not be easily outsourced and accounting is one that can be.

Thats excellent advice. I have a Comp Science degree and graduated in 2002. :facepalm:

x_sl33py
04-05-2010, 03:38 PM
Get your CPA and get public accounting experience...after you make Sr. move to industry. You'll make around 50k a year for the first 3yrs without any increase and work at minimal 50+ hrs a week.

Plus with GAAP phasing out in 2010 it's going to make it so much easier for everyone to outsource accounting jobs to India, Philipines, and or Argentina. Just to give you a perspective the company I work for pays filipinos in philippines 5k-8k a year doing the same shit we do over here.

while you are right, outsourcing accounting jobs still have unknown risks. like one, certain accounting information is supposed to be confidential, so sending it to overseas places like India or overseas poses a big risk. some companies are waiting for other companies to outsource though to definitely see the potential risks before they start outsourcing accounting jobs themselves.

theoretically i do see more pros then cons tho. but companies would like to play it safe for now, but it's something that will eventually happen once they work out the kinks.

turboZEE
04-11-2010, 03:55 PM
martha fucking indians. taking all the good jobs stateside. first comm, then it, now acct? whats next? go to micky ds to get a tandoori big mac!! fuck!

wait...

im indian :facepalm:

therest
04-12-2010, 03:56 PM
lol oh dude,

therest
04-12-2010, 04:00 PM
:facepalm: lol accounting should be a good career in houston idk whats going on

97blacklude
04-18-2010, 07:03 PM
CPA is a must nowadays it seems.

therest
04-19-2010, 08:51 PM
is it true CPA is as hard as they say it is?

Belly
04-22-2010, 11:57 AM
is it true CPA is as hard as they say it is?

yes.
Better study your ass off, and don't believe about what people are saying about "BEC" or "Audit" being easy.
Yes, they're comparatively easy to FAR and REG, but they're still hard and if you don't study for them, expect to fail.

kthxbai
04-22-2010, 08:35 PM
iirc its a 40% pass rate.:hsrun: