PDA

View Full Version : Get me an Engineering job! Get a Reward!

Poweredbyme91
02-24-2010, 09:23 PM
I will be graduating in May from UTSA with an Electrical Engineering degree and I'm looking to move back to Houston to get a job. I'm starting my job search early so I thought I'd give H-I a try first.

I'm open to any position so long as it's in the IT or Engineering field. I dont care about salary as long as there's the possibility to move up. Any where in the Houston area is fine and don't mind traveling to the outskirts of the area. I do have a resume (which I can email) and I have a bit of Engineering experience working at 2 Engineering firms and currently working as a Technology tutor.

If anyone can get me a job in those fields I will give you a generous cash reward.

Thanks! :rock:

Banky300z
02-25-2010, 08:38 AM
You're an engineer. If you're so smart, getcha self a job.

Goldenboy1
02-25-2010, 09:05 AM
You willing to give me your s2k for an engineering job? Yes I'm dead serious.

honda_david
02-25-2010, 09:37 AM
if you're willing to pay me a generous amount to land you at least an interview at an engineering company, then PM me. i am not responsible for your actions (positive or negative) while you're in the interview. i do know people that have worked for exxon, shell, and bp and are 6 figure engineers..they're also not even at the age of 30 yet.

nappyrat
02-25-2010, 10:40 AM
You're an engineer. If you're so smart, getcha self a job.

knowing people is half the battle

al
02-25-2010, 11:02 AM
I will take your cash reward and your sign on bonus and have an orgy in Vegas :rock:

Give me your resume, my company is hiring engineers at the moment

arkive43
02-25-2010, 12:29 PM
rofl my cousin is graduating from PURDUE. he cant find a job.....:(

vmlinsx
02-25-2010, 12:45 PM
Good luck, man. Graduating in May also. Went to an info-session held by KBR on UH campus, and there was like 100 people in there. Baker Hugues had some on-campus interviews for a field service position, and the waiting room was packed all day. UH Engineering career fair was standing room only, with about half the company booths as normal and not all the them were hiring. Many are on hiring freeze now. I don't know if it's any better in IT. I could always go back to doing Linux stuff.

xxjustimajinxx
02-25-2010, 01:05 PM
try cameron, fmc technologies, smith international, schlumberger, halliburton, KBR, Bp, mustang engineering, bj services, flour daniels, hydril, drilequip, baker hughes, atlas engineering, vetco gray, etc etc you get the point

honda_david
02-25-2010, 02:05 PM
He said to get him a job not an interview.

an interview can land you a job, but landing an interview is difficult if you have no networking at all. obviously, this guy doesn't have any sources of networking. otherwise, he wouldn't be posting a thread on h-i. i'm not stupid. i can read. i don't want to be responsible for what kind of actions he makes during the interview, whether they are good or bad. i don't know the guy and don't know what he's capable of, so that's why i asked for a generous money offer if i can get him an interview with a top engineering company. now please, do us all a favor and don't speak if you don't have anything good to say.

honda_david
02-25-2010, 02:19 PM
its just an offer for an offer. your attempt of bashing on me is getting us nowhere. do you honestly have anything to offer for the op? i'm trying to help the guy out but only if he rewards me for getting him an interview to possibly a 6 figure job, and if it's not 6 figures, it'll be well enough to buy him a rolex, finance a house, and finance a new lexus all within 2 years.

vmlinsx
02-25-2010, 02:56 PM
try cameron, fmc technologies, smith international, schlumberger, halliburton, KBR, Bp, mustang engineering, bj services, flour daniels, hydril, drilequip, baker hughes, atlas engineering, vetco gray, etc etc you get the point

From recollection from the UH career fair a couple of weeks ago:

Mustang is not hiring entry level at the moment. Neither Shah Smith and Bechtel.
Epco was hiring entry level last fall, but I don't know about now.
Cameron had some openings for entry level mech or chem eng.
Schlumberger was looking for entry level field service engineers.
Baker Hughes also. I think the Baker Hughes position was not in the greater Houston area. It might have been Lafayette LA. A lot of their offshore field service engineers are based out of there.
Halliburton was taking resumes, but I don't know how many local entry level positions they had.
KBR had an entry level positions in control systems.
HP had some entry level positions in Tomball for electrical/computer engineers working on blade servers.

It's a PITA but what you have to do is go to each company's website and make a profile, and search each site individually. Most of the big companies who showed up at the job fair just said "submit your resume online" whether they were hiring or not. I kind of question how much recruiting they were doing. It was more like company advertising.

There seem to be jobs available for experienced (and particularly licensed PE) engineers, but competition is fierce for entry-level jobs.

vmlinsx
02-25-2010, 03:03 PM
its just an offer for an offer. your attempt of bashing on me is getting us nowhere. do you honestly have anything to offer for the op? i'm trying to help the guy out but only if he rewards me for getting him an interview to possibly a 6 figure job, and if it's not 6 figures, it'll be well enough to buy him a rolex, finance a house, and finance a new lexus all within 2 years.

Recruiters don't get paid for interviews. They get paid for placements. :)

Poweredbyme91
02-25-2010, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Firstly, I don't need someone who can get me an interview. I need someone who can have a say or influence in suggesting me as a good candidate and therefore result in me getting hired. If it goes through, you get rewarded. And yes I do have Engineering contacts but this is ONE of my many efforts from me to increase the likelihood of landing a job. Apart from just job hunting, sending my resume and speaking to engineering friends. This isn't a desperate and pathetic attempt to get a job; I'm just using all of my resources effectively, one being H-I.

Thanks for the posts xxjustimajinxx and vmlinsx.

I really want an entry-level job that will provide training of some sort. Some of the stuff they taught us in school was basic. General overviews of Matlab, OrCad, PCB Editior, LabView, VHDL, Etc. Although, I think overall I used OrCad and PCB Editor the most. I've also been working on my senior design project (Capstone) and using all the tools we've learned to design/invent a product and market it.

Choymeister
02-25-2010, 10:21 PM
you screwed up by going for electrical :smack: had a substitute teacher that was an electrical engineer. later on goes to say he cant find workk goood luck :thumb:

benster
02-26-2010, 10:37 AM
I saw Coopers engineering are hiring. But I'm sure you have to have some experience under your belt. Give them a call I mean ya never know if you dont ask.

swyyyguy
02-28-2010, 04:50 PM
I need someone who can have a say or influence in suggesting me as a good candidate and therefore result in me getting hired.

This isn't a desperate and pathetic attempt to get a job; I'm just using all of my resources effectively, one being H-I.
why would anyone suggest you as a good candidate and putting their reputation on the line when they don't even know you?

i'm sorry but paying someone you don't know to get you a job sounds pretty desperate and pathetic to me.

DDCD
02-28-2010, 08:20 PM
you screwed up by going for electrical :smack: had a substitute teacher that was an electrical engineer. later on goes to say he cant find workk goood luck :thumb:

Wow, are you joking? Electrical is just as good as any other eng field, and can crossover into many other fields just like a Mechanical can with Petroleum.

bong95
02-28-2010, 08:27 PM
You didn't get an interview/job from campus career fairs? I'm sure all of those companies go to the campus and that's where you can set up interviews? There should be one every semester.

Go to the career fair and talk to the reps and drop off your resume. They will contact you a week later for interviews. I think that's the best way to get a job if you don't have a lot of networking.

RShih
03-16-2010, 09:33 AM

Altas Eng. is no longer in business. They merged with Foster Wheeler.
Mustang Eng. is not hiring ATM. Still laying off the few that are left.

70Charger
03-17-2010, 01:44 AM
why would anyone suggest you as a good candidate and putting their reputation on the line when they don't even know you?

i'm sorry but paying someone you don't know to get you a job sounds pretty desperate and pathetic to me.

I know me posting here doesn't help you, but i agree with this guy.

Asking someone to get you just hired at a top 6 figure job like that is hilarious. If someone does hire you without an interview then the person hiring you is irresponsible, and/or doesn't know wtf he's doing. I wouldn't hire a bagger at a grocery store without an interview you don't know who you might be hiring.

First impressions are everything

Poweredbyme91
04-07-2010, 08:02 PM
I'm not asking for someone to straight hire without an interview. Obviously the person getting me job would have to meet with me so I could provide them with all my references, experience, etc. Enough to where they feel comfortable that I'm the right candidate for the company without putting their reputation on the line. After that, all that I ask is that they put a good enough word for me that it gets me the job. Simple. Again, if you feel uncomfortable you can meet with me before.

I'd seriously consider giving up my S2000 for an Entry Level Electrical Engineering or the right position.

Dat_FoBi3s
04-07-2010, 08:25 PM
whats ur asking salary if u dont mind me asking.

Poweredbyme91
04-07-2010, 08:56 PM
whats ur asking salary if u dont mind me asking.

I really dont care, as long as it's somewhere I can move up in. I really want a job at HP, BMC Software, AMD or Baker Hughes but a small EE firm is good too.

Goldenboy1
04-08-2010, 05:47 PM
What if I can get you an entry level job an a small EE company that's in Sugarland. Would you be willing to give up your S2k for that? I've talked to you via text before. Let me know if you're interested.

Poweredbyme91
04-08-2010, 08:01 PM
What if I can get you an entry level job an a small EE company that's in Sugarland. Would you be willing to give up your S2k for that? I've talked to you via text before. Let me know if you're interested.

Hey man, yeah, I'll be down if I dont hear any word from the places I've applied at. I'll keep you informed in what ever decision I make though.

NgoFcukinWay
04-08-2010, 09:39 PM
Keep applying to places everyday and call up on them to see if they got your resume. Try to meet some people that can give you leads and maybe help push your resume to the top of the list. Took a friend of mine a while to finally land his job with Cameron, but that's what he did; sent e-mails and made phone calls at least 20 times a day.

qumanramos
04-10-2010, 01:26 AM
Some of you guys are being total idiots to this guy.....Electrical is the fucken hardest degree you can probably get in college. Good luck my road runner friend.

spK
04-10-2010, 06:40 PM
Whats your GPA?

3vil-Grin
04-15-2010, 07:36 AM
I work for Square D but the parent company is Schneider-Electric. Check it out:
http://www.schneider-electric.us/about-us/careers/

Poweredbyme91
07-01-2010, 09:11 AM
Bumping my old thread up. I've had no luck! I don't know it's me or just the job market. I've applied everywhere: AMD, Haliburton, BakerHughes, NASA, Dell, HP, Smith, etc.

I'd consider working in IT in tech support or anything that pays decent anywhere!

koolaider
07-01-2010, 11:52 AM
well keep searching, its going to take some time

RACER X
07-01-2010, 01:48 PM
send your resume to

work@bechtel.com

i interviewed w/ the lead elec. engineeri earlier this wk, they weren't hiring designers, but maybe engineers.

Poweredbyme91
07-01-2010, 02:22 PM
send your resume to

work@bechtel.com

i interviewed w/ the lead elec. engineeri earlier this wk, they weren't hiring designers, but maybe engineers.

Done! I believe I applied for a position there a while back, name looks familiar.

Thanks a ton for looking out!

Texas Tacoma
07-01-2010, 02:40 PM
YouTube- RAB DAR GAB Houston Area PSA

Mad World
07-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Interested in Jacobs Engineering?

Poweredbyme91
07-01-2010, 02:47 PM
Interested in Jacobs Engineering?

Thats fine with me. You work there? What do you do there?

Anyone work for HP? Man I applied there like a year ago before I graduated and they still havent called me. Even for a position I thought I'd be a good candidate for me.

Flores
07-01-2010, 03:32 PM
There is a glut of experienced engineers out there right now. can you share up your resume? have you tried head hunters?

it shouldn't be THAT hard to find a decent job...

Have you tried just looking up the guys in the departments your interested in working with, and just calling them to see if they can give you any pointers on getting on there?

HR is a barrier to entry at most companies, in my experience, they are the last people you want to deal with.

bottom line: if you know where you want to be, go find out everything you can about that company, and tailor your presentation to them based on that. Everyone else is using a 'general' overview of how awesome they are, not why they would be good at that particular company.

azinwood
07-01-2010, 06:21 PM
tried siemens?

Number one electrical solution provider in the world! :D

vmlinsx
07-01-2010, 06:25 PM
Got the letter that I passed my FE exam!

For those guys like me looking for work, here's the website for the Houston Council of Engineering Companies. Their list of member companies has links to engineering firms with offices in the Houston area:

http://www.houstoncec.org/MemberFirms.htm

Note that most of these firms are construction oriented. This means lots of civil and mechanical. Not as many electrical or chemical positions.

ebellis
07-01-2010, 06:36 PM
this sounds like a pretty desperate attempt, but good luck I can't think of any one i know in the electrical engineering area in houston.

hopefully it won't be this hard for me in a couple years when i graduate with a degree in mechanical

nappyrat
07-01-2010, 06:52 PM
Got the letter that I passed my FE exam!

For those guys like me looking for work, here's the website for the Houston Council of Engineering Companies. Their list of member companies has links to engineering firms with offices in the Houston area:

http://www.houstoncec.org/MemberFirms.htm

Note that most of these firms are construction oriented. This means lots of civil and mechanical. Not as many electrical or chemical positions.

good job on ur FE man, i'm just now studying for mine

Poweredbyme91
07-01-2010, 07:39 PM
There is a glut of experienced engineers out there right now. can you share up your resume? have you tried head hunters?

it shouldn't be THAT hard to find a decent job...

Here's my resume just to give you an idea of my experience and skills. If anyone wants to take a stab and beef it up and make it look and sound better PM me and I'll PayPal you a donation.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g9/nolimit186/resume.jpg

Poweredbyme91
07-01-2010, 07:40 PM
By the way, My GPA is a 2.8 but I've read articles that say not to put anything below a 3.0 on there so I keep it out.