PDA

View Full Version : Host Gator Hiring

CandymanVending
01-21-2010, 07:38 PM
I was on there looking at their website hosting packages and saw they were hiring so just wanted to post it up in here if anyone is interested. I dont know anything about the job sorry lol here is the link though.:thumb:

http://www.hostgator.com/jobs.shtml

olstudios
01-22-2010, 01:12 PM
Just started working there pretty cool company

backman
01-22-2010, 01:38 PM
What do you do there?
Where is it located?
And how much do they pay?

olstudios
01-22-2010, 02:56 PM
Chat tech-take chats and phone calls from customers with their hosting questions. They have ALOT of questions. You have to do two weeks training.

290 and 34th.

pay is between 10-12 for chattechs, for linux/windows admin you get alot more

stone_free
01-22-2010, 02:57 PM
Chat tech-take chats and phone calls from customers with their hosting questions. They have ALOT of questions. You have to do two weeks training.

290 and 34th.

pay is between 10-12 for chattechs, for linux/windows admin you get alot more

What kind of background do they normally look for(work related) that is?
or just somebody who is familar with basic computer skills?

713_Integra
01-22-2010, 04:00 PM
I applied last month. I got interview too. But I didn't get the job offer?
I thought the interview went pretty well too =(
Seems like a cool company to work for. They have a gym inside too. The people I met was laid back and friendly.

olstudios
01-22-2010, 04:57 PM
Dang Sorry about that. it's alot of stuff to memorize. Do you know about hosting (servers, websites, etc)?

Yea it's cool they give you yummy lunch

What kind of background do they normally look for(work related) that is?
or just somebody who is familar with basic computer skills?
A Background in web design will do if you know alot about it.
It is alot of information to take in they have 2 training sessions 8-5 i think and the one I did was 5:30-1:30

713_Integra
01-22-2010, 06:29 PM
I know a little about hosting. Not a lot. I built some websites before. I used some servers stuff before. I did sql server 2005 and asp.net before also. I also have a b.s. degree in Computer Information Systems from UH. I still didn't get hired. =(

So hard to find a job right now with my degree. I have a job, but no luck. Sigh =(

Mycah Leonhart
01-25-2010, 08:18 AM
I used to work there - I was there for a year and a half and was on my to getting a promotion but I pissed off a supervisor and it took me 6 mos to slip up enough to get fired.

They are looking for mostly webhosting stuff - just know how to work the net to get in.

If you have decent Linux know how you can make admin in 6mos or less.

When I got hired they started me @ 14, Nowadays it's much - much lower.

All of the management is buddy, buddy so do NOT piss off any supervisors or you're fucked. (it's how I'm a former employee lol)

It's not a bad place to work but they will use you if they can and they will fuck you over on a buck if you let them.

Hostgator is a great place to learn Linux server shit then in a year or so - you can move up the ladder to jobs that start off at at least 40k a year (cPanel, The Planet, etc)

It's a great place to learn more and use that knowledge in the future - you come in on time and do what you're supposed to do and don't piss off sups you'll be fine.

To be blunt, If you're a white or asian hipster that is good at kissing ass you'll go really far there.

Mycah Leonhart
01-25-2010, 08:22 AM
Also in the interview they WILL lowball you, don't take anything less then 12, Like I said I got 14 and I knew some folks up there making 15 or 16 as chat tech so it's up to you how you do.

CandymanVending
04-01-2010, 05:29 AM
To help you guys out I had a new account to set up right near hostgator so I decided to send in my resume and schedule my account set up the same day and time frame as the hostgator interview. I really just wanted to see if they had any contacts for website builders or hosting hookups and to get an overall experience to let you guys know what to expect lol. First of all they will ask you these questions in the interview

What is cpanel?
What is ftp?
do you have customer service exp?
know DNS?
the pay for this position is 10-12 is that ok?

The rest of the questions they just ask will M-F training be a problem etc etc just basic yes/no answers. I forgot the guys name who interviewed me but he was wearing a crushed up unbuttoned shirt and looked like he just got out of bed but he was pretty cool. All I was doing was asking about website builders and hosting questions and a girl named brandy was looking at me crazy and was pretty standoffish. Overall I didnt get a good vibe for the company but thats just my opinion it seemed very "clickish" just by meeting the HR woman celeste and the other two people. I had to leave so I told him i didnt have any other questions and left. Total interview was about 5 minutes so its not a long lengthy interview. You will interview with the guy who just got out of bed and a girl named brandy at the same time but she just sits there and types at the computer she doesnt ask any questions. Seems like an interesting company though. I received a email the next morning saying I wasnt chosen for the position lol. Well good luck just wanted to give you guys a head up what to expect.:thumb:

713_Integra
04-01-2010, 11:01 AM
To help you guys out I had a new account to set up right near hostgator so I decided to send in my resume and schedule my account set up the same day and time frame as the hostgator interview. I really just wanted to see if they had any contacts for website builders or hosting hookups and to get an overall experience to let you guys know what to expect lol. First of all they will ask you these questions in the interview

What is cpanel?
What is ftp?
do you have customer service exp?
know DNS?
the pay for this position is 10-12 is that ok?

The rest of the questions they just ask will M-F training be a problem etc etc just basic yes/no answers. I forgot the guys name who interviewed me but he was wearing a crushed up unbuttoned shirt and looked like he just got out of bed but he was pretty cool. All I was doing was asking about website builders and hosting questions and a girl named brandy was looking at me crazy and was pretty standoffish. Overall I didnt get a good vibe for the company but thats just my opinion it seemed very "clickish" just by meeting the HR woman celeste and the other two people. I had to leave so I told him i didnt have any other questions and left. Total interview was about 5 minutes so its not a long lengthy interview. You will interview with the guy who just got out of bed and a girl named brandy at the same time but she just sits there and types at the computer she doesnt ask any questions. Seems like an interesting company though. I received a email the next morning saying I wasnt chosen for the position lol. Well good luck just wanted to give you guys a head up what to expect.:thumb:

Lol sound like my interview with host gator. So you wasn't chosen either? Thing has me confused, what are they looking for? Their website are always say they hiring, they are constantly posting on craiglist looking for applicants. In matter of fact the morning I received the rejection letter, I saw a posting on craiglist that they were hiring? Lol. I have a degree in CIS so im pretty sure I am well over qualified for the job? Since they said they would train?
O wells
But yeah good luck to the people who interview, this guy nailed it on the spot on what they ask!

rage
04-01-2010, 11:13 AM
yeah thats how my interview went there too, i knew all the questions and did good on their scavenger hunt thing, but wasnt chosen

Mycah Leonhart
04-01-2010, 12:36 PM
If you were passed over by HG, shoot me a resume/salary requirements - There is a good chance I might have a place for you.

m.eugene.tucker@gmail.com

Jspec-R
04-04-2010, 11:03 PM
I used to work there - I was there for a year and a half and was on my to getting a promotion but I pissed off a supervisor and it took me 6 mos to slip up enough to get fired.

All of the management is buddy, buddy so do NOT piss off any supervisors or you're fucked. (it's how I'm a former employee lol)

It's not a bad place to work but they will use you if they can and they will fuck you over on a buck if you let them.

It's a great place to learn more and use that knowledge in the future - you come in on time and do what you're supposed to do and don't piss off sups you'll be fine.

To be blunt, If you're a white or asian hipster that is good at kissing ass you'll go really far there.

^^this.

i worked there as well for the same time frame. had the same deal goin on till one supervisor didnt like the fact that i was being recommended next to move to sales. great place non the less, im good friends with Brent the owner and other sup's but Lance, that guy, im sorry, is trash. i cant stand racist bosses who degrade you or treat you any less just cus of your ethnicity, and while at work.

alex_eg6
04-06-2010, 01:45 AM
Ping Pong on break time :thumb:

jbird76
04-09-2010, 09:43 PM
Great

quangyyyyyyy
02-24-2011, 09:01 PM
company is still hiring if anyone is interested in applying? I'm currently in training right now along with about 8 other new hired chat techs? they are in a vast expansion movement (new office in austin and one coming up in SE houston near 610) so yeah they are in need of chat techs, linux and windows admin, and sales. If you guys can answer the questions that are stated above and i guess show a positive attitude and be able to search google or their support.hostgator.com engine and use Crtl+F you should be able to get hired....pay was 10-12...they offered me 10 but i asked for 12 and they settled me at 11....and I think it was because I wasn't really knowledgable with cPanel and FTP. So yeah just study up on WHM, cPanel, FTP, DNS and you should be good to go. I can also refer anyone who is interested so just PM me

tofuspeedster
03-08-2011, 12:54 PM
I got hired but they wanted me to work graveyard shift after telling me they'd be flexible with my school schedule in the interview..so I was kinda pissed.

SubZeDiZeD
03-24-2011, 12:41 AM
I worked there as a chat tech for a little over a month..... did not like it at all.

First of all - they don't pay you shit for the amount of work you have to do.

Secondly, maybe I'm just spoiled from my previous jobs, but holy fucking shitballs are they strict with breaks and stuff... To take a break, you have to request it in BreakQ (including the exact time in minutes that you will be AFK) then HOPE you get 'approved' to take it within an hour, sometimes even longer, and you better be the fuck back within the time you specified down to a second.

There are no personal days/sick days/paid time off period. I mean, really?!

You do not have your own place to sit. You literally have to fight for a computer if you are day shift. And their quota sucks, you pretty much have to be answering questions in at least 2 chats and be on the phone at the same time with someone at any given time.

Bottom line, I've held a lot of office jobs before, and never had I felt like straight up cattle as much as I did at HostGator.

ToFu23Vtec
05-16-2011, 03:08 PM
did anyone work there as a linux admin or Win admin?

that is what i would apply for but not if its shit to work there and the pay is crap!!!!

Lmk :D