PDA

View Full Version : Which sport is Hardest to go Pro?

CandymanVending
01-10-2010, 02:27 PM
What do you guys think is the harder sport to go pro in baseball or football? I'm in a debate and would like to know everyones opinions lol. I personally think football because the window of opportunity isnt as wide. Discuss.

socold57
01-10-2010, 02:30 PM
tennis and golf

CandymanVending
01-10-2010, 02:33 PM
tennis and golf

Actually I think track and field is the hardest and pays the least but this is just between baseball and football not other sports!lol

RoadRageDetail
01-10-2010, 02:33 PM
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg123/majestiq/Kingpin.jpg

socold57
01-10-2010, 02:35 PM
baseball bc you could be stuck in the minors a long ass time

TLontheDL
01-10-2010, 02:50 PM
btw the two choices, I am going with baseball.

While we're at it, how come you don't see many kids from the projects dreaming of playing pro NFL as opposed to NBA?

ETB4U
01-10-2010, 02:56 PM
Better yet TL, why don't we see kids in the projects dreaming of getting good grades and a nice job?

Trae*
01-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Golf by a landslide

TLontheDL
01-10-2010, 02:59 PM
in general, they're poor so they choose to live life the hard way, thats why they want an easier way to get rich...dreaming of playing pro ball and make millions without using their mind!

ETB4U
01-10-2010, 03:37 PM
in general, they're poor so they choose to live life the hard way, thats why they want an easier way to get rich...dreaming of playing pro ball and make millions without using their mind!

Hah and ironically it would be easier for them to just do well in school rather than become pro. :facepalm: Society

Scientific
01-10-2010, 03:45 PM
Between the two its football. In baseball playing in the minors is still semi-pro, and each club has a minor affiliate.

In football you either have NFL, CFL, or arena, if thats still around.

Scientific
01-10-2010, 03:47 PM
btw the two choices, I am going with baseball.

While we're at it, how come you don't see many kids from the projects dreaming of playing pro NFL as opposed to NBA?

Way different topic, and in general, "projects" are in the east coast. Philly, NYC, Boston, etc. Basketball dominates these regions. Much like football domiates the South. Ask most any kid in Texas, Florida, or Virginia, and they have football dreams.

Banky300z
01-10-2010, 03:51 PM
Baseball by far. Fewer players fewer chances to make it. I'd put hockey up there too but probably golf due to all the other sports requiring you to be in great shape and in golf a total fatass who just spent his life drinking beer and swinging a club can smoke you. I'm lookin at you John daly.

vtec_mang
01-10-2010, 03:52 PM
Baseball, by a mile.
1st round picks in the NBA and NFL are practically guaranteed to be good-great payers. No such deal in MLB.

socold57
01-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Better yet TL, why don't we see kids in the projects dreaming of getting good grades and a nice job?

or a rapper i mean artist

Trae*
01-10-2010, 04:44 PM
Between the two its football. In baseball playing in the minors is still semi-pro, and each club has a minor affiliate.

In football you either have NFL, CFL, or arena, if thats still around.

Its def easier to get drafted in baseball then pros for sure but neither can compare to getting a pga tour card look how few have that.

CHINGONE
01-10-2010, 04:48 PM
There are fewer than 40 people in the world qualified to drive in Formula 1, a mere half dozen prehaps to win......

Formula 1,

LuDerr
01-10-2010, 04:57 PM
between the two i dunno its pretty hard for both. i have a friend from high school who plays for the Yankees. (may be minor league i dont follow baseball) but i dont think he was all that great.

Ohdubbz
01-10-2010, 05:28 PM
Golf by a landslide

if you're black and your name is not Tiger. There was an ESPN special on Black guys going pro in Golf and guys interviewed were saying people were always mistaking them for the help (caddies/waitstaff) instead of the players.

Scientific
01-10-2010, 06:44 PM
Its def easier to get drafted in baseball then pros for sure but neither can compare to getting a pga tour card look how few have that.

I dont disagree, golf is probably the hardest sport to turn pro. I just answered based on the two options the OP asked.

i-vtec195
01-10-2010, 09:10 PM

that would be easier, by far... the minors are a farm system. they develop players and get them ready for the pros if they're capable.

seeing as how there is no more nfl europe to do the same, the nfl has less of a talent pool to evaluate. it's why goodell thought that the ufl was actually a good idea, and we're seeing it land people jobs already. the cfl helps a bit, also.

this is why the ufl plays at different times, and has based itself in non-nfl markets.

Super Mario
01-10-2010, 09:31 PM

Ud have to be really really good

tenguin
01-11-2010, 03:12 AM
Baseball, by a mile.
1st round picks in the NBA and NFL are practically guaranteed to be good-great payers. No such deal in MLB.

you just answered the question, but with the wrong answer. if you are good at what you do, baseball would be easier if you stand out. i think football is harder bc of the physical strain your body has to go through to make it that far. you are more susceptible for injury in football so i would say its more difficult.

mr toolio
01-11-2010, 08:47 AM
all this talk about minor leagues in MLB but dont they have 'practice squads' in the NFL that are used for practicing purposes and never really play in the big game?

Happy
01-11-2010, 09:06 AM
i would say between the two football is harder just because there is a greater talent pool to compete against.

JeffTSi924
01-11-2010, 09:43 AM
being a professional athlete means you are getting paid to play that sport. That being said, minor league baseball players and practice squad football players are pro athletes. Just because they aren't on the big league squad doesn't mean they aren't getting paid to play.

I'd say it's easier to become a pro baseball player. Most clubs have a farm system consisting of at least an AA and AAA team. several also have an A team. There draft is also much much deeper than the 7rd football draft.

Now if you wanted to ask which is the harder sport to make it to the bigs, then I'd say baseball. The rosters are smaller and there is much more competition. Not to mention non guaranteed contracts in football make you expendable.

i-vtec195
01-11-2010, 04:36 PM
Now if you wanted to ask which is the harder sport to make it to the bigs, then I'd say baseball. The rosters are smaller and there is much more competition. Not to mention non guaranteed contracts in football make you expendable.

however, most veteran football players who are on the bubble will be quickly shown the doors as the veteran minimum for younger, lower mileage players is quite a bit lower. it's why so many vets wait til this time of year for teams in an injury bind to pick up the phone and give them some work. damn good players. not to mention the physicality, and why most running backs bodies are shot by 30.

nfl = not for long.

Bloodwings19
01-11-2010, 04:59 PM
Football moreso than baseball because they have too much depth at one position. Colt McCoy and Tim Tebow might not even start this upcoming season and possibly become Graham Harrell and Chase Daniel. In baseball, you can become Brad Ausmus, a dinosaur who can't hit, but still in the majors. The time frame for football players to become pro is a lot smaller than baseball.

ThaJokaa
01-25-2010, 04:08 PM
Soccer

mle_92cx
02-15-2010, 04:12 PM
Baseball, by a mile.

not really, Ryan Leaf, David Carr, among others are "busts" for some reason or another.

b20yimmy
02-16-2010, 08:29 PM
skateboarding.

ThaJokaa
02-16-2010, 08:42 PM
Baseball is a sport that is ment for you to fail.

kamakaze_22
02-20-2010, 01:44 PM
all this talk about minor leagues in MLB but dont they have 'practice squads' in the NFL that are used for practicing purposes and never really play in the big game?

There are no scout teams(practice squad) in the NFL. This is why so many college coaches fail at the pro level. They are not used to working with only the 50 or so on the team.

NEB117
02-20-2010, 04:57 PM
There are no scout teams(practice squad) in the NFL. This is why so many college coaches fail at the pro level. They are not used to working with only the 50 or so on the team.

actually they do, NFL practice squads only have 8 spots and after 3 years of being on the practice squad or 3 years of being on a 53 man roster for more than half a season you aren't eligible for practice squad anymore.

I'd say football is the harder sport here because players have to have at least 3 years in a college before they are deemed eligible for the draft. In baseball though, juniors out of highschool can get drafted

B18C1EG
02-20-2010, 05:16 PM
Golf by a landslide

thagreenteam
02-20-2010, 05:21 PM
bowling

kamakaze_22
02-20-2010, 06:26 PM
actually they do, NFL practice squads only have 8 spots and after 3 years of being on the practice squad or 3 years of being on a 53 man roster for more than half a season you aren't eligible for practice squad anymore.

I'd say football is the harder sport here because players have to have at least 3 years in a college before they are deemed eligible for the draft. In baseball though, juniors out of highschool can get drafted

My bad...i knew it wasn't a full squad...8 players is not really a squad and doesn't compare at all to 3 levels of minor leagues