PDA

View Full Version : [Texas State Record] Yates annihilates Lee High School 170-35

Drift Gangsta
01-06-2010, 01:16 AM
Lions break 18-year-old record in victory over Lee High School

The Yates boys basketball team set a state record for points in a game Tuesday, beating Lee High School 170-35 at Butler Gym.

The previous boys state record was held by Hardin-Jefferson High School, which scored 166 points in a 1992 victory over Hardin High School.

The national record of 211 was set in 1964 by De Quincy (La.) Grand Avenue. According to the National Federation of State High School Associations 2009 record book, Yates' 170-point total Tuesday was the most points scored in a high school basketball game since the 1988-89 season.

Yates, the defending Class 4A state champion, is 14-0 on the season. The Lions have topped the 100-point barrier in their last three games and have scored more than 125 points seven times this season.

Yates has eight 100-plus point games this season. Wheatley set the national record for most 100-point games in a season with 31 in 1972-73.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/hso/6800394.html

damn lol

E-DUBB
01-06-2010, 01:23 AM
yeah man. those dudes went hard this year.

DC
01-06-2010, 06:17 AM
damn!! :eek3dance

Stiggz
01-06-2010, 11:08 AM
its been all over the airwaves on local sports talk radio...arguements are good on both sides but if Lee sucks so much balls, they shouldnt even be in the same district/conference as Yates...Yates is God mode apparently, they average like 119 ppg and are running up scores to become "nationaly accredited"...it was 100-12 at the half and Yates shouldnt have had their starters out there to begin the second half...coulda ended ugly had a Lee player taken exception to what Yates was doing to them...

Agent S14
01-06-2010, 11:19 AM
any videos of the game i saw highlights but id like to see the whole damn game.

backman
01-06-2010, 11:20 AM
and I graduated from Lee :facepalm:

SE_TEG96
01-06-2010, 11:20 AM
i guess sportmanship is a thing of the past....

lol

Jeebus
01-06-2010, 11:22 AM
I graduated from lee so i thought this was funny:rofl:. Lee always sucked at basket ball. I heard the arguements this morning, even Bun B commented, and I don't think Yates should have held back. Why would you teach young people to not do their best?

Backman, what year did you graduate?

backman
01-06-2010, 11:32 AM
I'm a youngin'--2007

I was only there for a semester though.

Sloshy
01-06-2010, 11:35 AM
lolz

Flores
01-06-2010, 11:51 AM
Good lesson there, if they will allow it to be taught.

Gunz4Sale
01-06-2010, 12:46 PM
Im waiting for the Jy vs Lee brawl. I got 20 on JY

Happy
01-06-2010, 01:21 PM
Yates is rolling this year check out other scores

11/16/09 7:30 PM vs. Dickinson (Dickinson, TX) 140-81 (W)
11/30/09 7:00 PM vs. Kashmere (Houston, TX) 148-49 (W)
12/08/09 7:00 PM vs. Seven Lakes (Katy, TX) (Merrell Center) 88-76 (W)
12/11/09 7:00 PM vs. Varsity Opponent (Australia @ Barnett ) 131-62 (W)
12/12/09 2:00 PM @ Westside (Houston, TX) 128-83 (W)
12/18/09 8:00 PM @ Kamehameha (Honolulu, HI) ** ('Iolani Prep Classic) 87-60 (W)
12/19/09 8:00 PM @ Lutheran (Orange, CA) ** ('Iolani Prep Classic) 95-88 (W)
12/20/09 TBA vs. Lutheran (San Antonio, TX) 95-88 (W)
12/21/09 TBA vs. Columbia (Decatur, GA) ** ('Iolani Prep Classic) 88-66 (W)
12/22/09 TBA @ Sts. Neumann & Goretti (Philadelphia, PA) ** (Iolani Prep Classic) 97-96 (W)
12/29/09 TBA vs. Kentwood (Covington, WA) ** (T-Mobile Classic-Alabama) 82-62 (W)
12/30/09 6:15 AM @ Butler (Huntsville, AL) ** (T-Mobile Invitational) 108-77 (W)
1/02/10 10:00 AM vs. Austin (Houston, TX) * (Barnett) 170-35 (W)

winc281
01-06-2010, 02:10 PM
I graduated from lee so i thought this was funny:rofl:. Lee always sucked at basket ball. I heard the arguements this morning, even Bun B commented, and I don't think Yates should have held back. Why would you teach young people to not do their best?

It's not about them doing their best it's about good sportsmanship.

Jeebus
01-06-2010, 02:17 PM
Well the coach did play the whole team, not like he kept the first string players in throughout the whole game. THe only thing left to do was for the coach to ask the team to lay in the middle of the court while Lee scored.

Stiggz
01-06-2010, 02:31 PM
coach put in his starters at the begining of the second half when the score was 100-12...i would call that uneccessary wouldnt you? not to mention a full court press throughout the entire game

biglos
01-06-2010, 04:30 PM
heard on the radio that both benches got ejected and thats why the starters were still in......

Scientific
01-06-2010, 04:31 PM
If I was Lee's coach I'd just forfiet the game at halftime. Isnt that the same thing as having a mercy rule in place anyway. I think he could have done that, down by 80+ at the half, what was the point of even playing the second half?

And what was the coach from Yates thinking? Only one kid from that team is even going to a major college program; to Providence.

mtran
01-06-2010, 05:15 PM
my only problem is that running up the score and pressing the entire game. thats classless. its one thing to be up by 100-12 and having guys hustle and playing hard, but pressing and running fast breaks with your first stringers is disrespect. if i coached an AMATEUR league (ie. middle/high) and the other team was running up the score, i wouldnt be sad or have sympathy should one of the opposing players got hurt because "they were competing hard" aka running up the score.

running up the score, to me, is only ok in collegiate and professional sports. and even in collegiate sports, theres a fine line. in professional sports, your getting paid millions so if you embarass yourself, thats on you. thats your job and you suck at it collectively. these are kids who are learning sportsmanship, which went hand in hand with fundamentals as being lost in basketball *ahem, lebron*

i want to see them try this shit on a school like bellaire, madison, westbury, etc. its all good because once soccer season comes around, lee is going to dominate.

Mazda6
01-06-2010, 06:53 PM
im in the minority here..

If you dont want to get blown the fuck out.. do something about it.. these fools dunking on us.. one hard foul should stop them. They want to full court press. Stop your dribble and throw Mutumbo elbows until they give you space

95tercel
01-06-2010, 06:56 PM
i went to yates.

they weren't this good when i went haha.. but grats to them.

mtran
01-06-2010, 07:39 PM

If you dont want to get blown the fuck out.. do something about it.. these fools dunking on us.. one hard foul should stop them. They want to full court press. Stop your dribble and throw Mutumbo elbows until they give you space

its one thing when you have professional athletes, getting paid millions, getting embarassed in front of national television. but these are amateur athletes, moreso, teenage kids. id venture to guess 8-9 of those 12 guys are not going to play collegiate basketball at any level beyond high school (DI, DII, DIII, etc).

its like a 6'7" 13 year old kid whose been exposed to basketball his whole life, was pushed to excel in basketball going up against a 5'8" 14 year old kid who joined basketball because he liked watching lebron and dwade play and he happens to be decent at it.

these are kids, amateur athletes who are playing for extracurricular activities. beating someone silly is one thing, but full court pressing an inferior team for four quarters?

i guess im in the minority that theres a bigger picture to basketball games. win or lose, you breed good sportsmanship. shake hands, win or lose. at the amateur level at least. in professional sports, if you get beat, you get beat. you go home, you collect your paycheck and you feed your kids.

Mazda6
01-06-2010, 08:02 PM
I understand your point.. and part of me agree.

I just saw video of the Yates kids dunking.. I would send a flagrant foul when they dunk to get my point across

Trae*
01-06-2010, 08:04 PM

so you want to counter one classless act with another?

brilliant

the last coach that did something like this was fired but i doubt a school like yates has anyone running it to do something like that .

mtran
01-06-2010, 08:06 PM
I understand your point.. and part of me agree.

I just saw video of the Yates kids dunking.. I would send a flagrant foul when they dunk to get my point across

give someone the old kick to the face, bruce bowen style!!

NQ7WVaB9gDs

koolaider
01-06-2010, 08:06 PM
its one thing when you have professional athletes, getting paid millions, getting embarassed in front of national television. but these are amateur athletes, moreso, teenage kids. id venture to guess 8-9 of those 12 guys are not going to play collegiate basketball at any level beyond high school (DI, DII, DIII, etc).

its like a 6'7" 13 year old kid whose been exposed to basketball his whole life, was pushed to excel in basketball going up against a 5'8" 14 year old kid who joined basketball because he liked watching lebron and dwade play and he happens to be decent at it.

these are kids, amateur athletes who are playing for extracurricular activities. beating someone silly is one thing, but full court pressing an inferior team for four quarters?

i guess im in the minority that theres a bigger picture to basketball games. win or lose, you breed good sportsmanship. shake hands, win or lose. at the amateur level at least. in professional sports, if you get beat, you get beat. you go home, you collect your paycheck and you feed your kids.

Dude the coach put in the 3rd strings players, they want to play hard too, in order to prove themselves, it wasn't like the starters were playing, its their 3rd string!! I'd play my ass off too if I was 3rd string and getting playing time no matter what the score is. If you don't like team scoring on you then do something about it!

mtran
01-06-2010, 08:15 PM
Dude the coach put in the 3rd strings players, they want to play hard too, in order to prove themselves, it wasn't like the starters were playing, its their 3rd string!! I'd play my ass off too if I was 3rd string and getting playing time no matter what the score is. If you don't like team scoring on you then do something about it!

i read the article many times and after halftime (100-12) he started the second half with his starters, and eventually got his bench mob in there. but pressing the whole game and running fast breaks? you cant cut it to me any way and prove that full court pressing and running fast breaks is the only offensive/defensive scheme they have. you can play hard on d, play straight man to man, 1-3-1, box, 2-3 zone, 3-2 zone and still play hard. full court press is NOT necessary.

also, if i remember correctly, theres 35 seconds on a high school shot clock. you cant run a play in 35 seconds? fast breaks are the ONLY way to score huh? i dont know. looks like the coach wanted to gun for the state record, got it, and is now facing scrutiny for being a dick. you can be great, and have class. and you can also be grate and classless. yates is the latter.

like i said, i would love to see them try that shit on bellaire/westbury/madison.

Mazda6
01-06-2010, 08:17 PM
I guess its just me.. I been playing competitive sports since I was 8. I lost tennis matches 6-0,6-0,6-0.. we lost a varsity fb game 49-0, we were blown out in basketball 89 to 30something.

I always walk out of it saying "Damn, I need to get my ass better" instead of "fuck them poor sportmanship team"

Mr.TxHustla
01-06-2010, 08:51 PM
man a co-worker of mine is from yates and follows them..his nephew is on the team but i forgot his name..davis last name...but their star is Joseph Young..Michael Youngs son..he led the team in scoring in them phi slama jama days at U of H with Hakeem and Clyde..good genes.

i think he said they won 2 tourneys in the last month or so..1 in hawaii and alabama.

Vick_
01-06-2010, 09:30 PM
i read the article many times and after halftime (100-12) he started the second half with his starters, and eventually got his bench mob in there. but pressing the whole game and running fast breaks? you cant cut it to me any way and prove that full court pressing and running fast breaks is the only offensive/defensive scheme they have. you can play hard on d, play straight man to man, 1-3-1, box, 2-3 zone, 3-2 zone and still play hard. full court press is NOT necessary.

also, if i remember correctly, theres 35 seconds on a high school shot clock. you cant run a play in 35 seconds? fast breaks are the ONLY way to score huh? i dont know. looks like the coach wanted to gun for the state record, got it, and is now facing scrutiny for being a dick. you can be great, and have class. and you can also be grate and classless. yates is the latter.

like i said, i would love to see them try that shit on bellaire/westbury/madison.

The reason why Yates was pressing all game was because last year they lost to Elsik. Coach Wise said the reason they lost was because they backed off during that game. So he made a promise or whatever that he will press every team for all 32 minutes. No matter if they are winning 50 or losing by 50.

Yates has been playing this type off tempo all season doesnt matter what school. They only lost one major tourney this season and it was in the finals. But they went to two big tourneys (Hawaii & Georgia) and won.

They are the #2 team in nation for a reason.

Also Texas has yet to adopt the shot clock in high school bball.

I agree I want to see them play bellaire or westbury too.

Plus Im pretty sure 2/3 of the team has a D1 scholarship.

Scientific
01-06-2010, 09:33 PM
One of them apprently commited to Providence.

I can see both sides of this. Was it classless? Hell yeah it was. But the Lee coach should of forfieted imo. He could have prevented it as well. I read that yates had beaten other schools by 50 or 60, if the Lee coach knew this, and I'm sure he did, he should of spoken with Wise before the game.

driftfx1
01-06-2010, 09:34 PM
and I graduated from Lee :facepalm:

me too graduate 05

LuDerr
01-06-2010, 09:39 PM
damn no one recorded the game? i guess id have to see how the game was played in order to make the correct judgement. i mean if lee was that bad..i wouldnt tell me team to just go slapdick around on the court.

bigharrywang
01-07-2010, 03:05 AM
i'd have to agree with mtran on this. i was thinking about it was well when a friend of mine told me about it.

there could've been many different ways where yates could've slowed down. not saying they should STOP scoring all together but fast breaks is unnecessary to say the least. a full court press isn't too bad but once they steal it, just slow it down and run some plays instead of making yourself look like dicks and scoring on a team that you already have beat.

i used to play basketball for sharpstown high school. i was also put in this position once if i remember correctly. we weren't winning by a ton lot but it was enough to where our coach said, hey let's just pass around the ball and run a couple plays before we score some more. of course we didn't stop our defensive plays and such, we would steal the ball and just do our thing.

i remember playing yates back in high school. they were pretty good but they weren't THAT good. but like mtran said, i would love to see them play against another team like bellaire or westside.

Vick_
01-07-2010, 07:54 AM
i remember playing yates back in high school. they were pretty good but they weren't THAT good. but like mtran said, i would love to see them play against another team like bellaire or westside.

They beat Westside 128-83 on 12/12/09 lol

mtran
01-07-2010, 09:16 AM

i never remember westside ever being good. the good teams that stood out in my mind circa 2001-2005 (when i was in high school) were:

bellaire
lamar
yates
jones
westbury
madison
willowridge

Mr.TxHustla
01-07-2010, 09:20 AM
One of them apprently commited to Providence.

that would be Joseph Young..the guy i mentioned above.

713_Integra
01-07-2010, 09:50 AM
i used to play basketball for sharpstown high school. i was also put in this position once if i remember correctly. we weren't winning by a ton lot but it was enough to where our coach said, hey let's just pass around the ball and run a couple plays before we score some more. of course we didn't stop our defensive plays and such, we would steal the ball and just do our thing.

too me thats bad sportsmanship too
so you have the lead, and now you going to just toy with them by passing the ball around?
thats like teasing them....
*yeah i have the big lead, now you cant get the ball and you cant score..HAHA in ur face. I can play around with the ball and stil score and stil win the game"

i came to play
i agree with the 2nd and 3rd string wanting to play hard
they finally get playing time, of course they want to show off their skills to their coaches and student body
i dont care if im winning by 100 or 200 or by 1...keep playing hard til its over

bigharrywang
01-07-2010, 10:06 AM
too me thats bad sportsmanship too
so you have the lead, and now you going to just toy with them by passing the ball around?
thats like teasing them....
*yeah i have the big lead, now you cant get the ball and you cant score..HAHA in ur face. I can play around with the ball and stil score and stil win the game"

i came to play
i agree with the 2nd and 3rd string wanting to play hard
they finally get playing time, of course they want to show off their skills to their coaches and student body
i dont care if im winning by 100 or 200 or by 1...keep playing hard til its over

how is that bad sportsmanship? it's like in the nba towards the end if they already know they are going to win, they hold the ball. that's pretty much what we did until they wanted to foul us. there was no shot clock so we just held the ball until they wanted to play some defense so we actually had to do something. it's not teasing them, it's just playing the game. the good sportsmanship part is giving them a fighting chance to get the ball if they really wanted it.

i agree with keep playing hard until its over. you always want to play hard. that's what i was taught too playing back at sharpstown. but if you're up by a ton and you're going to win and you know it, then why embarrass someone?

bigharrywang
01-07-2010, 10:07 AM

damn for real? lol thought westside was pretty good when I used to play ball. not anymore? haha

713_Integra
01-07-2010, 10:12 AM
how is that bad sportsmanship? it's like in the nba towards the end if they already know they are going to win, they hold the ball. that's pretty much what we did until they wanted to foul us. there was no shot clock so we just held the ball until they wanted to play some defense so we actually had to do something. it's not teasing them, it's just playing the game. the good sportsmanship part is giving them a fighting chance to get the ball if they really wanted it.

i agree with keep playing hard until its over. you always want to play hard. that's what i was taught too playing back at sharpstown. but if you're up by a ton and you're going to win and you know it, then why embarrass someone?

becasue you teasing them......
yeah we won the game arleady
im going to give up and stop trying......
you guys has no chance even if i dont try

i guess different people think differently

everyone has their own perspective...no one is right nor wrong

Mazda6
01-07-2010, 11:00 AM
and people get mad at the Texans for letting up after halftime:nod:

Scientific
01-07-2010, 11:06 AM
and people get mad at the Texans for letting up after halftime:nod:

A 78 pt lead?

Mazda6
01-07-2010, 11:37 AM