PDA

View Full Version : 1999 miata. new suspension

Pitlab77
12-22-2009, 12:58 PM
sorry for the cell phone pics

old bumpstop. (thats what racing will do)
http://www.hi-upload.com/upload/uploaded12/Photo0254.jpg

http://www.hi-upload.com/upload/uploaded12/Photo0255.jpg

I would show the car but it is at factory miata R package height (lower than regular miata)

Has custom rate ground controls with adjustable sleeves, and custom rate valved bilstiens.

And Fatcat motorsports bumpstops.

New bushings, corner balance, and custom alignment coming soon

The_Houstonian
12-22-2009, 01:10 PM
cool.

Replica
12-22-2009, 01:19 PM
That upper A-arm on the front suspension made me REALLY angry when I changed the suspension on my 03.

chingpo05
12-22-2009, 01:25 PM
ok glad you can show me what a koni with ground controls looks like

Chops
12-22-2009, 01:30 PM
^actually its g/c w. bilstein set up...i would like to see a car at least in this thread :P

chingpo05
12-22-2009, 01:37 PM
^actually its g/c w. bilstein set up...i would like to see a car at least in this thread :P

oops didn't pay attention to the blue sticker :hsugh: damn misleading colors.. seeing the car on the setup would be worth the thread :rock:

Pitlab77
12-22-2009, 01:45 PM
I could just post an old photo up since the car looks pretty much the same.

Ok here it is. Ride height is the same as it was in this old photo

http://www.hi-upload.com/upload/uploaded12/msrcarmiata11111.jpg

chingpo05
12-22-2009, 02:16 PM
gonna get any lower? nice miata btw

Chops
12-22-2009, 02:33 PM
thats what im talking bout..like the dark green and the hardtop...you tow things with that ball hitch??

whizbang18T
12-22-2009, 04:14 PM
what spring rates are you running on the GCs? and will FCM do a revalve on a set of blown bilsteins? does it matter if they're HDs or sports?

Dorian
12-22-2009, 07:04 PM
Sorry but not only is the format incorrect there is no car in the first post. I should close this but instead I am moving it.

Pitlab77
12-25-2009, 10:34 AM
1. No not going lower than factory. Lower does not mean better performance

2. Yes I tow a trailer with race tires and tools

3. FCM has what they revalve on their site. These are actually revlaved from bilstien itself. They have an order form and cost lest that getting FC to do it. It is on GC rates of 550/350 rears.

rage
12-25-2009, 12:15 PM
im curious why you think going lower with a double wishbone suspension wouldnt mean better performance

du ma may
12-25-2009, 08:26 PM
http://www.hi-upload.com/upload/uploaded12/msrcarmiata11111.jpg

think i saw this foo hauling ass on 610 last night.

Pitlab77
12-26-2009, 06:32 AM
im curious why you think going lower with a double wishbone suspension wouldnt mean better performance

Going lower does not mean better performance at all. You have to look at how the suspension geometry of a car is set up as a whole. For example a miata has limited suspension travel. The bump stops (which are shredded in the first picture) are actually an integral part of the suspension (same thing applies on other cars). By lowering than car anymore you are in turn loosing a lot of suspension travel on the car thus reducing performance.

The mistake most people make in suspension work is trying to reduce roll by lowering the center of gravity on a car. That does not work on most daily driven cars for the reasons given above. What needs to be done is to have spring rates chosen than are stiff enough to cancel out the body roll, which most off the shelf "lowering springs" and even so called "trick" set ups (like POS TEIN coilsetups) do not do. These Pre-made packages also usually offer under/over damped shock bodies that are not well matched to the springs they offer let alone the spring rates one would need to get the performance requested at or near stock level height. On this car a 550/350 front rear spring rate was choose to cancel out body roll but still keep the Front/rear RC rate (these are same rates some CSP racers use on their miatas). They were then matched to factory Bilstiens that had been set into Bilstien to be revalved to match the spring rates that were to be used (well actually they are revalved for Spec Miata which uses a stiffer spring). The results being a totally well planted car that can navigate city streets with enough comfort to not scape or disintegrate my spine (a ride so compliant that my GF actually likes it, and that is coming for someone with no interest in cars whatsoever.), yet that can go out and be very competitive at autox or track days. Thus giving me a simple under 1000 suspension that outperforms mega dollar suspension kits along with allowing me not to have the headache of clicking points to find the "dialed in suspension settings".

Lowering for improved performance would thus have to include items such as new shock mounts that would allow the suspension to travel past the frame in order to gain the suspension travel back that is to be lost in lowering.

Pitlab77
12-26-2009, 06:35 AM
think i saw this foo hauling ass on 610 last night.

Nope.

THere is another guy that looks just like my car, but he has a S/C on it.