PDA

View Full Version : Mathematics major: looking for a good career

scRub
12-09-2009, 01:41 AM
posting for a friend.

He is an Applied Math major from UHD, with 144 credit hours of pure mathematics major credit hours from UH.

graduating in Dec. 2009 with
Bachelor in Science in Applied math
Minor in Statistics

is there any jobs available for him? this guy is a math wiz. when it comes to calculus, linear algebra, operations research, and statistics, i have not seen a person who is sharper than him.

if there is any opportunity for this guy to work in a good environment, please let me know.

koolaider
12-09-2009, 05:30 AM
tell him get his phd and work in the oil field/ engineering companies! Or teach?

DC
12-09-2009, 07:13 AM
He can do engineering or comp sci stuff with minimal training, since the logic foundation is already there. I know math majors who work in both of those fields.

MFaust
12-09-2009, 07:15 AM
Tell him to look into Energy Risk Management/Analyltics with a power company. And if he hasn't done so already he should get some really good training on excel and VB.

I would entertain interviewing him, but we're looking for people with at least 2 to 3 years of heavy quantitative industry experience, and we're already down to our final 2 candidates.

DC
12-09-2009, 07:48 AM
Tell him to look into Energy Risk Management/Analyltics with a power company. And if he hasn't done so already he should get some really good training on excel and VB.

I would entertain interviewing him, but we're looking for people with at least 2 to 3 years of heavy quantitative industry experience, and we're already down to our final 2 candidates.

You guys use Hyperion?

Gunz4Sale
12-09-2009, 08:09 AM
Seems like with a math degree the world is your oyster. FDIC is hiring intensively right now, I'm sure his math ability will translate to financial analysis pretty well.

RACER X
12-09-2009, 08:39 AM
teach

ELS1
12-10-2009, 04:31 PM
posting for a friend.

He is an Applied Math major from UHD, with 144 credit hours of pure mathematics major credit hours from UH.

graduating in Dec. 2009 with
Bachelor in Science in Applied math
Minor in Statistics

is there any jobs available for him? this guy is a math wiz. when it comes to calculus, linear algebra, operations research, and statistics, i have not seen a person who is sharper than him.

if there is any opportunity for this guy to work in a good environment, please let me know.

Does his name happen to be Yasuke? He was in my senior project class this semester...ya he's damn smart.

Anyways, he should check out indeed.com which is the google of job searches. I am also a dec 09 grad, took a job offer for a large defense contractor but I couldn't relocate. So I went on indeed.com, posted resumes and got call backs/interviews within a week or so for some very nice software engineer positions. Very good place to search, and I know he can find a badass job with his knowledge.

UHD also has a career center where they post up jobs.

DC
12-10-2009, 04:51 PM
Software engineering, yuck! Not my thing, but more power to ya. :thumb: