PDA

View Full Version : Astros 09/10 Off-Season|Pre-Season

HPorkchopD
12-01-2009, 02:07 PM
They ended up offering it to Valverde and NOT Hawkins or Tejada. Get rid of Valverde and sign the hawk. He proved himself over and over as a reliable closer last season while Valverde was injured.

HOUSTON -- Astros general manager Ed Wade said Monday he and his staff will take as much time as they need to decide whether to offer salary arbitration to their own free agents, a list that includes shortstop Miguel Tejada, closer Jose Valverde and reliever LaTroy Hawkins.

The Astros have until 11 p.m. CT Tuesday to offer salary arbitration to their own free agents, and the players have until Dec. 7 to accept or decline.

Players who accept arbitration are considered signed and will have their salary determined in the arbitration process or through negotiations. If they decline arbitration, they are still free to sign with the Astros.

The decision to offer arbitration has high stakes. Tejada, Valverde and Hawkins were classified by the Elias Sports Bureau as Type A free agents, which means the Astros would get Draft picks if the players were offered arbitration and sign with another team. If they're not offered arbitration and sign with another team, the Astros don't get compensation.

"We've had a lot of conversations about our free agents, the guys who were ranked [by Elias Sports Bureau], and hopefully we'll make the right decisions," Wade said. "Obviously, if we offer and the players decline, then it sets us up in position to have a greater impact in the Draft.

"But at the same time, if we do offer and the players accept, we have to live with that as well. It's an important decision, and we'll sit down [Tuesday] before we have to make the decision."

If one of their Type A free agents sign with another team after being offered arbitration, the Astros would receive the signing club's first-round Draft pick in next year's First-Year Player Draft (assuming it's not among the top 15 picks) and a sandwich pick between the first and second rounds. A Type B free agent would bring only a sandwich pick.

Tejada made around $14 million last season and appears headed for a healthy pay cut on the free-agent market, which makes it seem unlikely the Astros would offer him arbitration. He had 199 hits and 86 RBIs in 2009 and would likely make much more through arbitration than free agency.

The Astros are interested in bringing him back to play third base, but at much less than Tejada made in 2009.

Valverde, who made $8 million in 2009, is headed for a raise after coming off a season in which he was 4-2 with a 2.33 ERA and converted 25 of 29 saves. He may be less likely to accept arbitration than Tejada, because he could command a higher salary in free agency, as well as a multiyear deal.

The Astros have been in negotiations with Hawkins for weeks and are eager to re-sign him as a closing option if Valverde were to leave. Hawkins had a base salary $3.5 million last season and earned a total of nearly $4 million, including incentives. He was 1-4 with 11 saves and a 2.13 ERA.

Neither outfielder Jason Michaels nor infielder/outfielder Darin Erstad were classified in the rankings compiled by Elias. Reliever Doug Brocail is a Type B free agent, but the Astros declined his option for 2010 and aren't going to bring him back.

Nega-Patio
12-01-2009, 02:27 PM
I liked Hawk, didn't he get ejected in a cubs game for telling the ump to stay his ass back there? :rofl:

HPorkchopD
12-01-2009, 02:28 PM
haha yeah.

Nega-Patio
12-01-2009, 02:36 PM
That ruled, he's got some spirit.

Then during the interview after the game he was like "Do you want me to tell you what I think was happening or what the league wants me to say?"

He got fined anyway lol

Mazda6
12-01-2009, 03:55 PM
well i think they are doing the valverde thing is any team signs him they get draft picks.. Hawk was injury prone during the end of the year if I can remember... of course i didnt watch the last 40 games or so

Trae*
12-08-2009, 07:50 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bb/6758148.html

looks like we are seriously going to suck next year . they dont appear to be attempting to make any upgrades

HPorkchopD
12-08-2009, 08:05 AM
Yeah didnt think they would...arent they still waiting on Valverde? I HOPE he seriously goes elsewhere. Id love to keep the Hawk as a closer.

Trae*
12-08-2009, 08:14 AM
did you not read the link?

HPorkchopD
12-08-2009, 08:15 AM
Did after I posted LOL.

Trae*
12-09-2009, 08:08 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bb/6761611.html

well there goes hawkins ... and we get a guy that has a 5+ era lol :facepalm:

HPorkchopD
12-10-2009, 09:53 AM
Is this Lyon guy worth 15mil?! Seems like thats a lot of money for a reliever. Couldnt we have gotten something better?

Im sure we could have kept Hawkins for much cheaper...maybe 3 mil or a long term deal @ 10 for 3 years?

Mazda6
12-10-2009, 12:57 PM
he is good.. should be our closer.. 15 million for 3 years.. Lindstrom is a good set up guy.. so far so good

Trae*
12-10-2009, 01:19 PM
we signed pedro feliz as well

Mazda6
12-10-2009, 09:44 PM
that i think was stupid.. gotta be someone better than that on the market.. younger too

HPorkchopD
12-11-2009, 08:11 AM
that i think was stupid.. gotta be someone better than that on the market.. younger too

money rules everything. Is Tejada going to reup? I liked Maysonette at 2nd...not much bat though. Also liked Keppinger but he was hot/cold a lot.

Mazda6
12-11-2009, 02:31 PM
I dont think the stros can talk to Tejada until Feb cause they didnt offer him arbitration

projecks15
12-11-2009, 03:03 PM
Lyon and Lindstrom fucked me over so many times in fantasy baseball

Trae*
01-08-2010, 04:27 PM
lol stros sign bret meyers

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100108&content_id=7891638&vkey=news_hou&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou

hector94
01-08-2010, 08:17 PM
im sorry stros fans there not going nowhere this season there to cheap to make to the post season

Mazda6
01-08-2010, 09:40 PM
not cheap.. too much money on Roy O, Berkman and Lee.

SpeedxStar
01-11-2010, 05:11 PM
Drayton is selling the team?!?!

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/sports/pro/baseball&id=7212633

HOUSTON -- Eyewitness Sports has learned that Houston Astros owner Drayton McLane could be on the verge of selling the team.

[SPORTS BLOG: Read the latest from the Eyewitness Sports team]

This past weekend, McLane signed a working letter of intent to sell the team to a group that would consist of a mix of local and out of town investors. The names haven't come forward yet, but we have found out that the big money is from out of town, where three to five investors would be involved, and there would be 10 to 12 smaller level local investors.

We're hearing the high end of the sale price could be around $700 million. They are in an exclusive negotiating period and have until the end of the month to come up with the money McLane wants or there's no deal.

On Monday, McLane told Eyewitness Sports anchor Bob Allen that the potential buyers would "have to show us that they have the financial capability to do the deal and they have to show us the people, because we'd only do something if it were really, highly reputable people and that there were a lot of Houston people that were involved in it."

McLane told Allen if this group could not come up with the money then he would be fine owning the team for several more years.

Allen also talked with Tilman Fertitta Monday who told us he is not part of this group and hasn't talked with McLane recently about the team.

The Houston Astros saw some of their most prosperous seasons under McLane. He bought the Astros from John McMullen in 1992 for $117 million. During his time as Astros chairman and chief executive officer, the team has ranked as the second-winningest team in the National League, and fifth-best in the majors. The Astros also played in their only World Series in 2005.

XImmaculateX
01-11-2010, 05:16 PM
wow thats crazy but they are going to keep them in houston right?

HPorkchopD
01-11-2010, 08:37 PM
talk about a fkin profit...bought for 117 sold for 700? jesus.

SpeedxStar
01-11-2010, 11:36 PM
wow thats crazy but they are going to keep them in houston right?

I think they have to cause there is a contract with Minute Maid Park

Trae*
01-15-2010, 02:23 PM
The Detroit Tigers have found their closer.

Jose Valverde and the Tigers reached a preliminary agreement on a $14 million, two-year contract, according to a person familiar with the negotiations.

The person, who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity Thursday night because the team hadn’t made an announcement, said the deal includes a $9 million option for 2012 and is subject to a physical.

Valverde saved 25 games in 29 chances for Houston last season, then filed for free agency. He was 4-2 with a 2.33 ERA in 52 appearances.

Before that, the right-hander led the NL in saves in consecutive seasons. He had 47 with Arizona in 2007 and 44 for the Astros in 2008.

Detroit desperately needed a closer after choosing not to

re-sign relievers Fernando Rodney and Brandon Lyon. Rodney received

an $11 million, two-year contract from the Los Angeles Angels, and Lyon signed with Houston for $15 million over three years.

The 30-year-old Valverde is 19-19 with a 3.17 ERA and 167 saves in seven major league seasons—five with the Diamondbacks and two with Houston. He was an All-Star in 2007, when he won the Rolaids Relief Man Award in the NL and finished sixth in Cy Young Award voting.

Valverde is a Type A free agent. He turned down a salary arbitration offer from the Astros, so they would receive compensation for his departure in this year’s amateur draft.

AP Sports Writers Ronald Blum and Mike Fitzpatrick contributed to this report.

Trae*
01-15-2010, 02:26 PM
http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100114&content_id=7920464&vkey=news_hou&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou

some more on valverde leaving ... kinda good actually we have alot of high draft picks now so we hopefully can restock the farm system we destroyed with pupura

HPorkchopD
01-20-2010, 07:56 AM
Astros avoid arbitration on Bourn, Qunitero, and Lindstrom.

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100119&content_id=7937120&vkey=news_hou&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou

HOUSTON -- Michael Bourn doesn't let much bother him. Not a prolonged slump, a strong-armed catcher or even a funky hill in center field. So it shouldn't be surprising Bourn wasn't overly concerned about his contract negotiations.

"I never really worried about it," he said.

Bourn has even less to worry about after he and the Astros avoided arbitration by agreeing to a one-year deal on Tuesday worth $2.4 million plus bonuses for the 2010 season. Houston also signed relief pitcher Matt Lindstrom ($1.625 million plus bonuses) and catcher Humberto Quintero ($750,000 plus bonuses) to avoid arbitration.

"I'm thankful and happy for it," Bourn said. "I can get that out of the way and move on to the next hurdle, which is Spring Training. I'm ready to go for that, and I'll see everybody down there."

All-Star right fielder Hunter Pence, left-hander Wandy Rodriguez and reliever Tim Byrdak weren't able to reach deals before Tuesday's deadline to exchange salary figures.

Rodriguez, who led the Astros in wins (14), starts (33), innings pitched (205 2/3) and strikeouts (193), is asking for $7 million, which is $2 million more than the club's offer of $5 million. Pence is asking for $4.1 million, and the club is offering $3.1 million, and Byrdak ($1.9 million) and the Astros ($1.3 million) are $600,000 apart.

"Our goal is always to negotiate and try to come up with settlements that satisfy both parties," Astros general manager Ed Wade said. "That's the task at hand, and we'll work in that direction."

The teams and the players can negotiate up until the start of the arbitration hearings, which begin next week, but Wade said he made it clear to the agents for the remaining unsigned players that he will establish a deadline to complete a deal or go to a hearing.

"I think both parties, players and teams alike, are anxious to try to get deals done at the proper pace, and there are some dynamics in play," Wade said. "The exchange date compels both sides to get together and reach a negotiated settlement before the numbers are out there.

"Sometimes the numbers have a polarizing effect on the process. There's enough marketplace evidence available that it behooves both sides to take advantage of that."

On Tuesday, Wade praised the work of president of baseball operations Tal Smith and assistant general managers Ricky Bennett and David Gottfried for hammering out deals. Last week, Houston agreed to contracts with infielder Jeff Keppinger ($1.15 million) and relief pitcher Chris Sampson ($815,000 plus incentives) to avoid arbitration.

"I think the work David Gottfried, Ricky Bennett and Tal have done has really put us in a good position to be able to get three more arbitration-eligible players signed before the exchange of numbers," Wade said. "We're still optimistic that we'll get Byrdak and Wandy and Pence done before we ever get to a hearing. It's good to get these issues off the table and allow us to focus on Spring Training and getting the club ready."

Coming off a year in which he set career highs in nearly every offensive category, led the National League with 61 stolen bases and won a Rawlings Gold Glove, Bourn, 27, will see his salary increase by nearly $2 million from last year's $435,000.

"I was never worried about that part of it," Bourn said. "I just have to go out there and play. I'm going to worry about 2010 and just take the process as it comes. It's a new year and a new Spring Training, and we'll try to do it all over again."

Lindstrom, 29, was acquired from Florida last month in exchange for three Minor Leaguers and was eligible for arbitration for the first time. In three seasons with the Marlins, he was one of the club's most dependable relievers. He appeared in 54 games and had 13 saves in 15 chances in 2009.

Lindstrom, who made $410,000 last year, opened the season as Florida's closer, but he went down with a forearm injury in May.

Quintero, 30, hit .236 with four homers and 14 RBIs last year in 60 games, starting 51 games at catcher. He's a veteran of seven Major League seasons, spending time with San Diego (2003-04) and Houston ('05-09) and is a career .232 hitter.

"Everybody's important," Wade said. "There are a group of guys on this club who are centerpieces of the ballclub, and certainly we believe what Wandy and Hunter and Michael have accomplished at this stage of their careers is very significant.

"We're prepared to pay what the market bears for talent and we've never taken a contrary position. We're prepared to pay when players step up and do the types of things to make us better."

Bourn getting a big jump in pay. Theyre fkin lowballing 2 of their better players. Wandy and Pence.

Trae*
01-23-2010, 02:56 PM
jesus glad we gave away 5 picks to have tejada for one year

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4851897

i doubt we even tried to keep him

Bryan
01-23-2010, 03:04 PM
jesus glad we gave away 5 picks to have tejada for one year

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4851897

i doubt we even tried to keep him
Can't recall where, but it was mentioned before the end of last season that Houston wouldn't be extending an offer to him for 2010 so it wasn't much of a surprise. Funny that Baltimore is trying to be relevant in the AL East still. That division is locked up by NY or Boston for the next decade but I guess they still have to try and put asses in the seats.

Trae*
01-23-2010, 03:34 PM
at least they finally signed pence but a one year deal ? wtf

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bb/6832020.html

Super Mario
01-24-2010, 05:21 AM
Goodbye miggy our team will suck this season oh well will still support

Bryan
01-24-2010, 12:20 PM

Wasn't he restricted this year, and with a 1 year deal will be unrestricted next year?

HPorkchopD
01-24-2010, 02:56 PM

no shit...lock him up for a multi year deal. im glad theyre keeping the future of this team hanging by a thread.

winc281
02-16-2010, 09:32 PM
Just saw on the news that they are considering building a stadium for a minor league team in Sugarland. The company that is considering building the staduim has 90 days or something like that to present their proposal. Would be sweet to have the Stros AAA team close by.

Mazda6
02-16-2010, 11:14 PM
I doubt AAA but probably AA

winc281
02-16-2010, 11:35 PM
Maybe. They were also saying something on the news about their contracts with Round Rock and I think Corpus will be up in a couples years.

HPorkchopD
02-17-2010, 12:43 PM
Id like to see the Hooks move here. Whataburger field !

mfgt2
02-20-2010, 04:20 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4930680
Astros sign GM Ed Wade through 2012
Comment Email Print Share
Associated Press

KISSIMMEE, Fla. -- The Houston Astros extended the contract of general manager Ed Wade through the 2012 season. The team made the announcement on Saturday, when pitchers and catchers reported to Houston's spring training complex near Orlando.

Wade, who was originally hired as Astros GM on Sept. 20, 2007, was given a two-year extension on his original contract, which was through the 2010 season.

"We feel this is very appropriate," owner Drayton McLane said. "Ed is an outstanding baseball man. He's organized and has surrounded himself with a good, solid staff. Much of the work Ed did in Philadelphia had a lot to do with them becoming a champion. We feel he has us moving in the right direction to be a champion as well."

Houston went 74-88 last season, its second losing record in three years.

Wade is in his 34th season in professional baseball. Prior to his stint with the Astros, he served as the Philadelphia Phillies GM from 1998-2005 and then spent two seasons (2006-07) as a scout for the San Diego Padres.

"I'm tremendously gratified that Drayton has shown his faith in what we're doing here and what we hope to accomplish, both in 2010 and for years to come," the 54-year-old Wade said. "Drayton has been very supportive of our approach."

The Astros also said the contracts of assistant GMs Ricky Bennett and David Gottfried and scouting director Bobby Heck were all extended through 2012.

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press