PDA

View Full Version : I need to gain weight!!!

Ricer_civic00
09-17-2009, 01:17 PM
Alright first of im 26 in 2 weeks and my metabolism is so damn high that i cant even gain 1lb. I started drinkin these high calorie shakes with peanut butter (4spoonfuls), oats (1cup), flaxseed oil (2tsp), whole banana, icecream (about 3scoops), milk (2cups). All this came out to be about 1500 calories. i used to drink it before i went to bed. I still dont see an improvement, i recently started to hit the gym regularly sometimes 4 times a week. I need some help!!! Im tired of lookin like an advertisement for Feed the Children lol. I'll post pics later on today. Any advise would be greatly appreciated :rock:

Hyper
09-17-2009, 01:34 PM
I feel your pain, I have the exact same problem. Lots of good advice in here, but what you're going to hear the most is you're not eating enough or taking in enough calories. When you lift, how heavy do you lift? How many reps? Do you do cardio? if you do, for how long?

Weight?
Height?

rodneeking
09-17-2009, 01:43 PM
Heavy weight w/ low reps, and having a high calorie intake would probably be your best bet with minimal cardio. Probably just a 10-15 warm up on a bike or something and straight lifting from there.

ryk
09-17-2009, 01:46 PM
It's all about mass calorie absorption.
You sound like you've got an ectomorphic body type.
look into works designed for ectomorphs.

I'd advise if you do cardio, cut it in half. Your goal is to gain weight and cardio will be the direct opposite of that. Up your caloric intake to at least 2k and on your workouts, keep your rep range between 8-10.
Lenghten the rest time between excercises to 2-3 minutes.
EX:
Chest. (pyramid)
Incline bench press 1 set of 6-8 reps (heavy weight) then rest 2-3 minutes
Second set of 8-10 reps (slightly lighter weight) rest 2-3 minutes
Third set 10 reps (just a little lighter then the second set) and rest 3-5 minutes while you set up for your next excercise.

The more you give your muscles to rest, the more weight you can lift and in turn, this will cause atrophy which will result in muscle growth. If you lessen your rest time, then it becomes more of an aerobic reaction because your heart rate stays high.

Be sure to follow your work out with a big ol calorie filled protein shake like Serious Mass from Size On.
I could go on and on forever.

Ricer_civic00
09-17-2009, 01:49 PM
I feel your pain, I have the exact same problem. Lots of good advice in here, but what you're going to hear the most is you're not eating enough or taking in enough calories. When you lift, how heavy do you lift? How many reps? Do you do cardio? if you do, for how long?

Weight?
Height?

I eat more than all my friends though and they're all overweight lol as of right now since i barely started workin out i can only max 165 but i work out with 135, 5 reps 3 sets thats just bench though. I cardio like crazy i dont wanna lose my endurance at all. I need that for basketball. I play basketball 3 days out the week sometimes 4. Im tryin to learn how to post pics so if anyone can help me with that......Thanks

Jah1mon
09-17-2009, 01:53 PM
I'm pretty much having the same problem.

I have been told to eat very calorie dense food, and up the protein intake. Possibly eating 6 small meals a day to spread out the protein and calorie intake. Maybe add in more snacks like nuts, fruits, vegetables, and dairy throughout your day.

Bob'sBurgers
09-17-2009, 01:54 PM
dude just eat at night... and make sure they are greasy fatty food, too
trust me thats how i gain weight and in the bad way too.
or just alot of protein increase and do heavy sets and less reps of weights
:rock:

Hyper
09-17-2009, 01:58 PM
Basketball is what kept me lean all my youth so that may go against what you're trying to do.

irvin_lazo
09-17-2009, 02:05 PM
WELL if your like me, than your real fat. I use to be skinny and then i did steriods and became a fat fuck. Not to mention all the drinking and wing eating i did gave me colon cancer. Anyways i guess i have no advice except dont do steriods. Remember my name is irwin lazo. I got pics

Jeebus
09-17-2009, 02:18 PM
pics?^

Ricer_civic00
09-17-2009, 02:18 PM
Basketball is what kept me lean all my youth so that may go against what you're trying to do.

I cant give up basketball thats like my drug!!! I've been playin since i was 12. I dont wanna be huge i just dont wanna be skinny anymore. I wanna look healthy. There are alot of basketball players that have the body type i want.

HieuOn2Wheels
09-17-2009, 02:22 PM
Eat 6-8 meals a day.

lNlHo
09-17-2009, 02:23 PM
try to every 2-3 hours, and at least 6 good meals. it might help to list out what you are eating everyday and we can work with it from there.

Ricer_civic00
09-17-2009, 02:24 PM
Can anyone teach me how to post pics?

ryk
09-17-2009, 02:25 PM
Be sure to follow your work out with a big ol calorie filled protein shake like Serious Mass from Optimum Nutrition

I had the wrong name... ma bad

TheSnowMan
09-17-2009, 02:29 PM
Eat more, you want a calorie intake anywhere from 5000 to 7000 a day. That cardio will kill you the most. Try to cut it where you can and if you can break from basketball try to push weight gain the most there. Basketball players like actors have unlimited resources and all day and night to work on their body

Jeebus
09-17-2009, 02:32 PM
Can anyone teach me how to post pics?

http://www.hi-upload.com/

Ricer_civic00
09-17-2009, 02:32 PM
try to every 2-3 hours, and at least 6 good meals. it might help to list out what you are eating everyday and we can work with it from there.

I usually eat 3 big meals a day and snack all the time. For instance today breakfast: 3 eggs, 4 slices bacon, 2 biscuits. Lunch: I cheated and ate Whataburger on the run. And for dinner: im gonna have hawaiian chicken (grilled chicken breast with pineapples) steamed rice and green beans.

I snacked on a bowl of cereal and some raisins.

lNlHo
09-17-2009, 02:35 PM
yeah that's definitely not gonna be enough if you want to gain weight. add in 3 more meals (and at least 500calories) a day and you should start gaining some weight. Remember to eat healthy!

TheSnowMan
09-17-2009, 02:40 PM
I usually eat 3 big meals a day and snack all the time. For instance today breakfast: 3 eggs, 4 slices bacon, 2 biscuits. Lunch: I cheated and ate Whataburger on the run. And for dinner: im gonna have hawaiian chicken (grilled chicken breast with pineapples) steamed rice and green beans.

I snacked on a bowl of cereal and some raisins.

Yeah that isn't even close to enough food a day. You need to eat everything in sight. Don't worry about gaining fat your body will easily be able to shead that. Drink a gallon if whole milk a day, that is 1250 calories right there.

lNlHo
09-17-2009, 02:42 PM
Drink a gallon if whole milk a day, that is 1250 calories right there.

:really?: that gets pretty expensive..

jsn
09-17-2009, 02:44 PM
listen to |N|ho, I saw that nga get fat after a month of not seeing him

TheSnowMan
09-17-2009, 02:48 PM
:really?: that gets pretty expensive..

You can get whole milk at HEB 2 for $4

Ricer_civic00
09-17-2009, 02:54 PM
I thought you get sick from drinkin a whole gallon of milk

Ricer_civic00
09-17-2009, 02:55 PM
http://i28.tinypic.com/30upr0o.jpg

AzNVi3t2007
09-17-2009, 03:07 PM
Your physique aint that bad. No homo. Im worse. Im 20yrs old, 5ft 4in and only weigh 115lb on a good day. Im skinny as hell and never gain weight either. :facepalm: Lil kids bigger than me so embarrassing.

Ricer_civic00
09-17-2009, 03:08 PM
http://i29.tinypic.com/11kjb6c.jpg http://i27.tinypic.com/vid4bp.jpg http://i27.tinypic.com/vo786o.jpg

Civic_R0i
09-17-2009, 03:09 PM
im jealous lol , lets switch bodies

HieuOn2Wheels
09-17-2009, 03:11 PM
Drink a gallon if whole milk a day

I think thats too much. maybe 48+oz of milk a day but not a whole gallon of milk.

Ricer_civic00
09-17-2009, 03:11 PM
Your physique aint that bad. No homo. Im worse. Im 5ft 4in and only weigh 115lb on a good day. Im skinny as hell and never gain weight either. :facepalm:

im 6ft tall and weigh 160 on a good day.

TheSnowMan
09-17-2009, 03:17 PM
I think thats too much. maybe 48+oz of milk a day but not a whole gallon of milk.

Not at all. You can drink a gallon a day without being sick. Just don't try to drink the whole thing at once. You can gain 20lbs in a month from it. Then of course you want to stop drinking it after you reach your desired weight.

im 6ft tall and weigh 160 on a good day.

I am in the same boat as you. I was 6ft 150lbs. For somebody that is 6' the best weight to be at is 180lbs. I am now at 174lbs and almost to my goal of 185lbs.

Civic_R0i
09-17-2009, 03:18 PM
im 6`1 and they told me i was suppose to be at 170? i got a long way to go lol

dixonsi
09-17-2009, 03:26 PM
DO NOT EAT 5+ meals a day!!!! i see every one is telling you this. the more meal you eat the more you body trys to use the energy. eat 2 BIG meals a day. once in the morning and once 5 hr before you go to bed. eating so far apart tricks you body to go into store mode. were your body does not know when its going to get it next meal. so it stores the food you eat into fat. dont eat right before you go to bed and maybe skip breakfast every so offten. but eat big every time. do alot of weight lifting to turn that fat into muscle. you can keep playing b-ball just dont go so hard all the time.

every one is different what works for one guy might not work for you.

TheSnowMan
09-17-2009, 03:56 PM
DO NOT EAT 5+ meals a day!!!! i see every one is telling you this. the more meal you eat the more you body trys to use the energy. eat 2 BIG meals a day. once in the morning and once 5 hr before you go to bed. eating so far apart tricks you body to go into store mode. were your body does not know when its going to get it next meal. so it stores the food you eat into fat. dont eat right before you go to bed and maybe skip breakfast every so offten. but eat big every time. do alot of weight lifting to turn that fat into muscle. you can keep playing b-ball just dont go so hard all the time.

Whatever you do, do not listen to this guy.

What he is saying is completly wrong, for many reasons. First eating more meals a day does not speed up your metabolism. It makes it easier to eat smaller portions and still take in the calories. Second if you only eat two meals a day you will need at least 2500 calories a meal (good luck with that). Third if you send your body into starvation mode you are going to hurt your metabolism in the long run and put on more fat then muscle. Fourth try lifting heavy weights and playing basketball 3-4 times a week on so little meals. Fifth when you put your body into starvation mode you are going to start losing you muscle as your body consumes that. This guy wants to make you fat, hungry, dizzy, and unable to concentrate throughout the day.

You sir should not be allowed to post in sports and fitness as you are giving out completly wrong advice.

honda_david
09-17-2009, 03:59 PM
man you guys are so lucky to have high metabolism. very slow metabolism sucks!

TheSnowMan
09-17-2009, 04:02 PM
man you guys are so lucky to have high metabolism. very slow metabolism sucks!

see you say that, but when trying to gain weight like we are it is very tough. It is as equally hard to gain weight as it is to lose weight.

HieuOn2Wheels
09-17-2009, 04:05 PM
^ Very true, NEVER put your body into starvation mode. If you put your body into satrvation mode you will burning off not only muscle, but heart tissue, liver tissue, etc.. i don't know where dixonsi get his info from....:really?:

Ricer_civic00
09-17-2009, 04:16 PM
Im about to go grocery shoppin any advice on high calorie snacks i can eat throughout the day?

winc281
09-17-2009, 04:52 PM
Get playdoh and make donuts out if it

lNlHo
09-17-2009, 05:24 PM

:facepalm: so much fail in this post..

honda_david
09-17-2009, 05:27 PM
see you say that, but when trying to gain weight like we are it is very tough. It is as equally hard to gain weight as it is to lose weight.

well i'm not fat, but i'm not skinny either. my metabolism is SOOO slow. i've felt sick when i've biked after 2 hours of digesting food. it sucks.

ryk
09-18-2009, 10:09 AM
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/5_mass_gain_planning_steps.htm

moleman
09-18-2009, 10:38 AM

i think its harder for the little guys to put on mass then for the fatties to lose weight and im a fatty

TheSnowMan
09-18-2009, 10:55 AM
i think its harder for the little guys to put on mass then for the fatties to lose weight and im a fatty

You are probably right because I am hating to try and put on mass

Jeebus
09-18-2009, 11:17 AM

Wrd. I havent even been working out more than a couple weeks and already noticed this. My weight has been dropping, Im down to 157 right now. All I do is 2 miles of cardio a day so I wasnt really expecting to drop. My arms are barely starting to noticably grow. Im gonna attempt to keep cutting my bf down then try and bulk a little from there.

ryk
09-18-2009, 12:32 PM

Just more for us to love :loveeyes:

Ricer_civic00
09-18-2009, 05:24 PM
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/5_mass_gain_planning_steps.htm

Thanks for the website i added it on to my favorites. :thumb:
I needed something like this to help me break down my workout also.

handjobs
09-18-2009, 07:13 PM
lol...at problem....i wish i had that problem...hit up mcdonalds everyday..youll gain like crazy

PlatES300
09-18-2009, 10:18 PM
lol...at problem....i wish i had that problem...hit up mcdonalds everyday..youll gain like crazy

uh yeah and probably get a heart attack before you even start packing on good pounds. its all about eating high calorie, clean foods.

goztepe2002
09-20-2009, 06:06 PM
I gained 6lbs in 3 weeks. I used have your body type. No matter what i did my weight was steady. Now that im getting older (26) i think my metabolism has slowed down. I used to be 180 for 3 years. Now im at (Started at 182 last week of aug) 188. I just eat more but what made me gain that weight is the meal replacement bars i started taking to work with me. I used to not eat anything at work from 3 to 11 so thats why my weight has been steady. So now i have breakfast around 10, i eat before i go to work at 2, eat the meal replacement at 6 then i eat another meal when i get home at 12 and i try to slide in some snacks and fruits when i can.

Metrx Big 100 colossal cookie crunch bars - 410 cal 32g protein and they taste so damn good im hooked on it. Only drawback is that its almost $2 a pop. Well it costs to lose or gain weight so.

only way to do it is, eat more and eat some more. Then lift like a mf

dixonsi
09-21-2009, 08:22 AM
Whatever you do, do not listen to this guy.

What he is saying is completly wrong, for many reasons. First eating more meals a day does not speed up your metabolism. It makes it easier to eat smaller portions and still take in the calories. Second if you only eat two meals a day you will need at least 2500 calories a meal (good luck with that). Third if you send your body into starvation mode you are going to hurt your metabolism in the long run and put on more fat then muscle. Fourth try lifting heavy weights and playing basketball 3-4 times a week on so little meals. Fifth when you put your body into starvation mode you are going to start losing you muscle as your body consumes that. This guy wants to make you fat, hungry, dizzy, and unable to concentrate throughout the day.

You sir should not be allowed to post in sports and fitness as you are giving out completly wrong advice.

wtf??? are you kidding??? your trlling him to do the very dite that i have lost over 80lbs on. it funny how you say im wrong , but say im right at the same time. yes if he does not stay active he will get fat. but if he does what im trying to tell him to do then he eill get what he is looking for.

AND HATE TO BREAK THE NEWS but 2500cal is not hard to do. read wow much this guy eats. also look into MRE's.

lNlHo
09-21-2009, 09:24 AM
how the fuck are you supposed to gain any weight consuming 2500 calories a day?

TheSnowMan
09-21-2009, 09:42 AM
wtf??? are you kidding??? your trlling him to do the very dite that i have lost over 80lbs on. it funny how you say im wrong , but say im right at the same time. yes if he does not stay active he will get fat. but if he does what im trying to tell him to do then he eill get what he is looking for.

AND HATE TO BREAK THE NEWS but 2500cal is not hard to do. read wow much this guy eats. also look into MRE's.

Please learn how to spell telling, diet, and other simple words. Also if you want anyone to take you seriously pick up proper grammer.

It is against the rules of this form to provide people with such wrong information. Why don't you throw out some examples or sources to back up even some of what you claim.

seeemji
09-21-2009, 12:06 PM
:facepalm:

dixonsi
09-21-2009, 12:08 PM
Please learn how to spell telling, diet, and other simple words. Also if you want anyone to take you seriously pick up proper grammer.

It is against the rules of this form to provide people with such wrong information. Why don't you throw out some examples or sources to back up even some of what you claim.

My fat ass is all I need.Why dont you prove me wrong.

I have seen many football players and very close friends taking that advice.

Your telling a guy to do the very diet I have been doing for the last 6 months, he wants to gain weight and mass.Time and time again it has been said that people with a fast metabolism have a hard time gaining weight.Eating 5-6 times a day is exactly what my doctor and trainer have told me in order to speed up my metabolism to burn fat and lose weight.THINK about it!

The only reason you bring up my spelling and grammar(by the way it's GRAMMAR not grammer) is you dont have anything to disprove what I say.Read my 1st post...erveryone is different,what might work for you,might not work for everyone else.That goes for me too.The only way he will gain anything is to consume more calories that he burns.

TheSnowMan
09-21-2009, 12:26 PM
Nobody wants to be a fat ass like you. He is trying to gain weight not fat. Why don't you try bulking on purpose before you use yourself as an example. Football players (depending on the position) would rather gain fat than weight, and your very close friends don't mean anything to me.

I hate to tell this to you but they have proven through research and study that eat more times a day will not increase metabolism. Your knowledge is outdated.

I have read your first post and disproved it with many facts of why that is a bad idea. You have never intentionally gained weight so you have no place to talk in this thread.

TheSnowMan
09-21-2009, 01:03 PM
I also enjoy the fact you haven't rejected the notion of eating 2500 calories each meal when eating that much would keep your body out of starvation mode. Which is the entire idea of your "plan".

I will say it again so it sinks in. Putting your body into starvation mode will cause your metabolism to drop to unhealthy levels. This in turn will make it harder to lean up after gaining all that weight. It will also cause your body to consume muscle rather than fat. Your muscle is an active tissue that burns calories more than fat. Your body will see this as a bad thing and start to destroy your muscle. You could not stay active enough to maintain your muscle amount. Your energy will be at an all time low and trying to sustain the amoun of activity will be almost impossible.

Kyo
09-21-2009, 02:59 PM
You sound like you've got an ectomorphic body type.
look into works designed for ectomorphs.

I'd advise if you do cardio, cut it in half. Your goal is to gain weight and cardio will be the direct opposite of that. Up your caloric intake to at least 2k and on your workouts, keep your rep range between 8-10.
Lenghten the rest time between excercises to 2-3 minutes.
EX:
Chest. (pyramid)
Incline bench press 1 set of 6-8 reps (heavy weight) then rest 2-3 minutes
Second set of 8-10 reps (slightly lighter weight) rest 2-3 minutes
Third set 10 reps (just a little lighter then the second set) and rest 3-5 minutes while you set up for your next excercise.

The more you give your muscles to rest, the more weight you can lift and in turn, this will cause atrophy which will result in muscle growth. If you lessen your rest time, then it becomes more of an aerobic reaction because your heart rate stays high.

Be sure to follow your work out with a big ol calorie filled protein shake like Serious Mass from Size On.
lol @ ectomorph, sounds like a pokeman. I have a longer torso compared to my legs so guess i'm what you'd call a mesomorph. I look like i can fall through a crack on the floor =(

A+++ Thread, will read again.

HieuOn2Wheels
09-22-2009, 08:22 PM
Hope this help, this my meal for today.
1) Breakfast:
Cereal, Serious Mass with 12oz of nonfat milk, 1 cup oatmeal, about 3g of arginine, 5g BCAAs, fish oil, 1 nitrix pill (30mins before breakfast).
2) Midmorning:
About 4oz. low fat cottage cheese, 1 banana, 20 g whey protein mixed in 12oz nonfat milk, 5g gultamine, and multivitamin.
3) Lunch:
Big turkey sandwich, 1 Apple, 1 cup of milk, vitamin c and e, 1 nitrix pill (30mins before lunch).
4) Preworkout:
20g whey protein but i mix with water, 1 banana. One hr later I take my n.o xplode or superpump 250.
5) Postworkout:
20g whey protein, 1 banana, 1 cup of oatmeal, 2 tablespoons peanut butter, 1 peanut butter sandwich(whole-wheat bread), 5g creatine.
6) Dinner
Spaghetti, 1 banana or apple.
7) Before bed
20g casein protein (sometime)

All of that add up to about 2,700 calories, 260 protein, 46 fat, 300 carb. I'm not 100% sure about it, give and take.

sneekyk
09-22-2009, 08:56 PM
Wrd. I havent even been working out more than a couple weeks and already noticed this. My weight has been dropping, Im down to 157 right now. All I do is 2 miles of cardio a day so I wasnt really expecting to drop. My arms are barely starting to noticably grow. Im gonna attempt to keep cutting my bf down then try and bulk a little from there.

You dont want to lose weight if your trying to put mass on. You want to turn your fat into as much muscle as possible then cut down when you reach your target mass............... Then reach your target "weight". Slow down your cardio two thirty minutes a day, if that doesnt work go to twenty. When you first start working out you will loose aloT of water weight but gain most of it back. Its because your muscles are mostly water. so instead of having puffy water weight, it fills in your muscle making you "swolen". :thumb:

sneekyk
09-22-2009, 09:04 PM
I also eat alot of heavy calories, not the most healthy but it has worked for me so far. It was hard for me to gain at first then I started to judge my progress by how big my gut would get. I started three months ago on a pretty heavy workout schedule. I went from 186lbs down to 176lbs "via" cleanser and cardio. Now I am up to 195lbs while eating semi descent, "feeling guilty", and creatine. I have bulked up and at the end of this month I start cutting down. I plan on being 215lbs by the time I am done putting mass on and cutting down. So I will be over 220lbs at some point. Oh I am 6ft even.

sneekyk
09-22-2009, 09:05 PM
[QUOTE=sciontC;10207049]Hope this help, this my meal for today.
1) Breakfast:
Cereal, Serious Mass with 12oz of nonfat milk, 1 cup oatmeal, about 3g of arginine, 5g BCAAs, fish oil, 1 nitrix pill (30mins before breakfast).
2) Midmorning:
About 4oz. low fat cottage cheese, 1 banana, 20 g whey protein mixed in 12oz nonfat milk, 5g gultamine, and multivitamin.
3) Lunch:
Big turkey sandwich, 1 Apple, 1 cup of milk, vitamin c and e, 1 nitrix pill (30mins before lunch).
4) Preworkout:
20g whey protein but i mix with water, 1 banana. One hr later I take my n.o xplode or superpump 250.
5) Postworkout:
20g whey protein, 1 banana, 1 cup of oatmeal, 2 tablespoons peanut butter, 1 peanut butter sandwich(whole-wheat bread), 5g creatine.
6) Dinner
Spaghetti, 1 banana or apple.
7) Before bed
20g casein protein (sometime)

All of that add up to about 2,700 calories, 260 protein, 46 fat, 300 carb. I'm not 100% sure about it, give and take.[/QUOTE

I am jealous wish I had the time. Looks awfully good, dam I need a regiment.:gonk:

chinaman_87
09-22-2009, 11:20 PM
damn thats a lot of work. Good job on being dedicated enough to prepare all that stuff

jkr_hatchback
09-30-2009, 03:49 PM
Daily calorie consumption. keep in mind 3500 kcals in one pound.

Up your caloric intake to at least 2k.
Depends how much weight he wants to put on and how many net calories/day. Upping your net calories 2k/day out of nowhere is never a good thing.

on your workouts, keep your rep range between 8-10 :facepalm:
Just fyi..... to properly breakdown a muscle it must reach failure....

The more you give your muscles to rest, the more weight you can lift and in turn, this will cause atrophy which will result in muscle growth.

Atrophy? :really?:

Find out what Atrophy is first......:Ohnoez:

If you lessen your rest time, then it becomes more of an aerobic reaction because your heart rate stays high.

Lifting weight has and always will be ANAEROBIC. Unless you can rep something for more than 2 minutes.....:facepalm:

:lol:

alreadyknow
09-30-2009, 04:26 PM
WELL if your like me, than your real fat. I use to be skinny and then i did steriods and became a fat fuck. Not to mention all the drinking and wing eating i did gave me colon cancer. Anyways i guess i have no advice except dont do steriods. Remember my name is irwin lazo. I got pics

you have colon cancer? sorry to hear man

oncearunner
10-01-2009, 09:30 AM
If you dont cut back on the BBall your not going to gain the weight. Do little to no cardio, work out hard, and eat ALOT.

Recipe for success. I played Halo 3 alot last year when i was bored (not at the gym/school) and I went from 6'2" 145-150 to 170-175, while keeping body fat around 5-6%. I am also an ectomorph.

Good luck, but if you dont stop the cardio, dont waste our time complaining about how your workouts are not putting on the weight.

Mazda6
10-01-2009, 06:53 PM
here's another question and sorry for thread jacking... Is it possible to get a lot stronger if you do a lot of cardio. For example, I train tennis 630am - 1230ish pm every day.. have a little break and teach/train tennis (depnding on the day) from 4-9 Mon- Friday.

I hit the weights either lunch time when I am the energy or at 11pm.

I do less reps high weight but since I been training like this for 1.5 months.. I havent gotten stronger in terms of being able to lift heavier weights but I am getting more cut

chinaman_87
10-02-2009, 09:18 AM
here's another question and sorry for thread jacking... Is it possible to get a lot stronger if you do a lot of cardio. For example, I train tennis 630am - 1230ish pm every day.. have a little break and teach/train tennis (depnding on the day) from 4-9 Mon- Friday.

I do less reps high weight but since I been training like this for 1.5 months.. I havent gotten stronger in terms of being able to lift heavier weights but I am getting more cut

looks like you're doing too much cardio.

either that or you're not lifting heavy enough.

Because you do all that cardio you burn alot of calories so you're going to have to take in alot more calories vs other people who do little to no cardio.

TheSnowMan
10-02-2009, 12:19 PM

The cardio is making you cut. If you want to gain some strength switch to a 5x5 program and you need to hit the heavy weights and push your body. You gain make gains but they are going to be slow.

Deluxe Son
10-02-2009, 01:00 PM
truemass will put on some good weight for you, and it taste good!!

Ricer_civic00
10-02-2009, 04:32 PM
If you dont cut back on the BBall your not going to gain the weight. Do little to no cardio, work out hard, and eat ALOT.

Recipe for success. I played Halo 3 alot last year when i was bored (not at the gym/school) and I went from 6'2" 145-150 to 170-175, while keeping body fat around 5-6%. I am also an ectomorph.

Good luck, but if you dont stop the cardio, dont waste our time complaining about how your workouts are not putting on the weight.

I cut down on basketball a lot. I only play once a week now compared to 3 to 4 times but ive noticed i started to sweat a lot though when i do play. They did a body fat test on me and im at 4%. Im starting to think ima need a workout partner cuz when im benching its really hard for me to get the last couple of reps in. I'm definitely gonna keep everyone informed and post more pics.....thanks for the feedback everyone

chillin014
10-02-2009, 04:49 PM
You look normal to me man. I wish I weighed 160~. I think I've only gained 5 pounds in the past 6 months. I'm 6'1 and weigh 140.

I just recently cut down on my cardio after doing a little research. I only do 5 minutes to get my heart rate up so I can lift weights. My biggest problem is having the energy to push myself when I lift. I can usually lift as much as my friend who weighs 190 so...yeah its odd.

It's weird to give such a conscious effort to eating more. It'll be nice to get a shake or something so I dont have to keep up with it so much.

chillin014
10-02-2009, 04:57 PM
also, if somebody could debunk this little theory someone told me. I'm reading on this website that according to my weight i should be consuming 140 grams of protein a day. Well someone told me their doctor said your body "discards" anything over like 32 grams. Or something along those lines. I'm not sure if he just means in one sitting or what.

TheSnowMan
10-02-2009, 05:27 PM
also, if somebody could debunk this little theory someone told me. I'm reading on this website that according to my weight i should be consuming 140 grams of protein a day. Well someone told me their doctor said your body "discards" anything over like 32 grams. Or something along those lines. I'm not sure if he just means in one sitting or what.

You should consume 1g of protein for 1lb of body weight. That is a myth that your body discards anything over 32grams. I could find you the facts to support it but I might not have time until Monday.

With your height you should be around 190lbs.

TheSnowMan
10-02-2009, 05:31 PM
Nevermind I will just do it now:

I consider all of this "The body can only use X grams per Y" as a lot of nonsense. First and foremost, it makes no evolutionary sense (how I've been looking at a lot of physiological processes lately). That is, our ancestors did not eat protein in small amounts throughout the day. Yet, anthropological studies show that they had more muscle and bone mass than most of us. Rather, they were more likely to eat a ton of protein after a kill, and whatever amount they got from vegetables and such the rest of the time. Massive protein intakes at once were more likely the norm during 99% of our evolution than not. This means that our guts evolved to handle it. In addition, when you start looking at digestion and such, you see exactly that: even with massive protein loads (I vaguely recall they've looked at like 1.5 g/kg of beef all at once), digestion still stays very high (on average 90-95% for animal proteins meaning you're losing at most 10 grams of protein/100 grams ingested). The body can digest/absorb pretty much anything you throw at it. You won’t be pooping protein if you eat 35 grams at a sitting, is what I'm saying.

Now, a slightly separate issue might be one of how much protein (amino acids really) the liver can handle at once. If the recent studies on whey vs. casein have pointed anything out, it's that flooding the liver with amino acids at a high rate leads to increased amino acid oxidation (burning) in the liver. I suppose it's conceivable that high protein intakes at any given meal could be having this effect. I suspect it depends on the source of the protein (whole food which digests slowly vs. protein powders which digest faster). That is, consuming, say, 50 grams of whey protein at once might lead to more waste (mainly as amino acids oxidized and then converted to urea) than 50 grams of casein or beef. But that's more an issue of speed of digestion than amount per se.

In terms of supporting optimal growth, an interesting discrepancy actually occurs here between the studies on our ancestral diet and the protein needs of athletes, but nobody has an explanation yet. Good studies by Peter Lemon, Mark Tarnopolsky, etc. support a maximum protein requirement for natural lifters of about 1.8 g/kg (a little less than the 1 g/lb that bodybuilders have used for years). But studies of our ancestral diet suggest protein intakes as high as 2.5-3 g/kg. Nobody is quite sure if this protein intake was simply a side effect of the diet our ancestors followed, or if it had some actual benefit.

Finally, I think the whole 30 g/meal (or whatever) thing can't possibly apply to everyone. I mean, at the low end, figure a 210 lb lifter is eating 210 grams of protein per day. If he's limited to 30 grams/meal, that means seven meals minimum per day. Obviously, if there is some limit to protein absorption/assimilation/digestion/utilization (and I don't honestly think that there is) it's going to be related to body mass: a larger individual needs more protein and would be able to utilize protein in larger amounts than a smaller person. Ultimately, my hunch is that the whole '30 grams per meal' (or whatever) thing came from one of two places:

i)Early supplement companies trying to convince lifters why their protein product (containing 30 grams) was better than others. I remember one company pulling a scheme like this, when their product contained like 37 grams of protein, they wrote that 37 grams was the maximum that could be absorbed. When they bumped it to 42 grams of protein per serving, 42 became the magic number. Ah, advertising.

ii)Bodybuilders rationalizing what they had already decided to do. That is, you frequently see bodybuilders and other athletes finding a strategy that works (i.e. eat protein at intervals throughout the day) and then making up physiological rationalizations afterwards. It wouldn't really surprise me if that weren't the case here. Of course, if anybody has a single piece of peer-reviewed research supporting this 30 grams myth (everybody seems to claim to have seen it but nobody seems to ever have it; it's like those friend of a friend stories)

If you want more of the science of it then check out his book: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/the-protein-book

chillin014
10-02-2009, 05:33 PM
I'll take your word for it, my source wasn't the least bit credible.

I dont know that I SHOULD be 190 pounds...according to the BMI charts I'm barely in the "normal" weight category though.

edit- oh damn, thanks.

TheSnowMan
10-02-2009, 05:43 PM
I'll take your word for it, my source wasn't the least bit credible.

I dont know that I SHOULD be 190 pounds...according to the BMI charts I'm barely in the "normal" weight category though.

edit- oh damn, thanks.

BMI Charts are dead, throw them out the window and stop listening to them.

BMI Charts don't know the differance between fat vs. lean tissue. Most if not all bodybuilders would be considered a huge health risk if following a BMI chart.

Shape up America, the anti-obesity campaign started by Dr. C. Everett Koop,
recently published a statement pointing out the shortcomings of BMI. According to the
Shape up America website, BMI misclassifies one out of four people and should not be
used by athletes.
BMI is a lousy indicator of your health, fitness or ideal weight. Forget about BMI
and height-weight charts; the answer is body fat testing.

TheSnowMan
10-02-2009, 05:47 PM
A typical "rule of thumb" is at least 1kg for each cm above 1m. These are some typical goal weights (baseline), but most people in here shoot for a lot more.

• 1m70/5′7″ at least 70kg/154lbs
• 1m75/5′9″ at least 75kg/165lbs
• 1m80/5′11″ at least 80kg/176lbs
• 1m85/6′1″ at least 85kg/187lbs
• 1m90/6′3″ at least 90kg/200lbs

chillin014
10-02-2009, 07:55 PM
:bawling: i just wanted to be "normal"