PDA

View Full Version : MMA vs. Boxing

TooCoo
09-16-2009, 12:22 PM
Alot of speculation what the pay-per-view subscriptions will be this Saturday...So what will you be watching the Mayweather Fight or UFC? ill be watching the Mayweather fight only becuase alot of my family is getting together for it and i havent seen all my family since I moved out. If not I would be watching UFC 103.

KillaCam
09-16-2009, 12:33 PM
I'm a boxing fan so there's no question. Not to mention the card UFC put together, I don't see how whatever spin dana is putting out there, that UFC is going to out sell PBF vs JMM.

JDM98Ferio
09-16-2009, 12:34 PM
UFC hands down for me! I cant stand watching Mayweather fight!

TooCoo
09-16-2009, 01:12 PM
I'm a boxing fan so there's no question. Not to mention the card UFC put together, I don't see how whatever spin dana is putting out there, that UFC is going to out sell PBF vs JMM.

Well I think that Dana played this one safe...although the card for 103 isnt full of headliners...its still a really good card...i mean Belfort coming back and Mirko CroCrop is gonna make for a good card. But I think Boxing is still gonna do more...

MMA is still a young sport and it will eventually be up there with boxing as far as PPV buys but it still has a long way to go...

this is from Sherdog.com

Is there a better diplomat in boxing than Oscar De La Hoya? Days after promoter Bob Arum stopped coughing up mold spores long enough to weigh in on the UFC, the mostly-retired boxer gave the OC Register a fair assessment of his event’s chances against UFC 103 this Saturday. (De La Hoya is co-promoting the Floyd Mayweather/Juan Manuel Marquez bout, which airs virtually opposite the UFC offering.)

“We have no problem with that,” De La Hoya said. “Look, we have different audiences. We have our own marketing plan. They have their own marketing plan. We’re almost sold out. I don’t know about them, but … look, we have the ‘24/7’ thing (on HBO) and tremendous sponsors behind us. They have great sponsors behind them. We’re in our own worlds. Let them do great, we’re gonna do great and everybody wins.”

Are their audiences really so different? While boxing can often skew older, there’s undoubtedly an overlap -- and where those viewers lean will influence who earns bragging rights for the weekend. The last shows topped by Rich Franklin, UFCs 93 and 99, sold an estimated 320,000- 360,000 buys but were hampered by a notoriously fickle attitude from fans about tape-delayed UK events; Mayweather’s last fight, vs. UK star Ricky Hatton, sold 925,000 buys domestically. His De La Hoya bout scored 2.4 million, an industry record. But the last bout against a little-known fighter, Carlos Baldomir, netted only 325,000 homes.

JDM98Ferio
09-16-2009, 01:52 PM
Dont forget everyone that the UFC is showing all the prelims live on SPIKE before the PPV!!!!!!!!!!!!

arkive43
09-16-2009, 02:05 PM
ufc.....

Happy
09-16-2009, 02:12 PM
Dont forget everyone that the UFC is showing all the prelims live on SPIKE before the PPV!!!!!!!!!!!!

damn did not know that, is this the first time they are doing that or have I been missing out this whole time.

od2681
09-16-2009, 02:15 PM
UFC = two guys humping each other on the ground while buncha dudes cheer.

JDM98Ferio
09-16-2009, 02:23 PM
damn did not know that, is this the first time they are doing that or have I been missing out this whole time.

First time they are doing it!

bushidoben
09-16-2009, 02:36 PM
id rather watch the ufc, but ima end up watching the boxing fight instead.....The card in the ufc is not good enough

Em1_crew
09-16-2009, 02:42 PM
i hate mayweather but i am sure i will end up watching the fight

winc281
09-16-2009, 02:46 PM
Mayweather vs Marquez :rock:

Nega-Patio
09-16-2009, 03:07 PM
Franklin vs Mayweather

TooCoo
09-17-2009, 07:16 AM
Franklin vs Mayweather

Mayweather wouldnt stand a chance...:stare:

JDM98Ferio
09-17-2009, 07:28 AM
^^^very true! Mayweather vs Faber is my choice!

TooCoo
09-17-2009, 08:01 AM
^^^very true! Mayweather vs Faber is my choice!

he still wouldnt stand a snowball's chance in hell...Faber probably hits just as hard if not harder than Mayweather...and I dont think Mayweather is used to gettin hit with MMA gloves, which are there as knuckle pads...

JDM98Ferio
09-17-2009, 08:04 AM
Of course at least the weight difference is the same! I wanna see Faber slam the hell out of Floyd ground and pound him to submission! Floyd doesnt belong in MMA at all! :thumb:

Happy
09-17-2009, 08:07 AM
Mayweather is one of the best boxers ever, and a fantastic athlete. With that said he would get wrecked in MMA.

TooCoo
09-17-2009, 08:15 AM
true and true ^

irvin_lazo
09-17-2009, 08:35 AM
Mayweather is one of the best boxers ever, and a fantastic athlete. With that said he would get wrecked in MMA.

your crazy he has a better chance of out stricking an mma fighter in an mma fight than an mma fighter in a boxing match. Granted if he gets taken down he would be introuble, but you have to remember he boxes with 12oz gloves and is fast as hell. Now imagine how fast and how hard he would hit with those what are they 2oz gloves..

JDM98Ferio
09-17-2009, 08:42 AM
your crazy he has a better chance of out stricking an mma fighter in an mma fight than an mma fighter in a boxing match. Granted if he gets taken down he would be introuble, but you have to remember he boxes with 12oz gloves and is fast as hell. Now imagine how fast and how hard he would hit with those what are they 2oz gloves..

4oz gloves! I give a better chance to the MMA fighter staying in there longer in a boxing match due to defense! In MMA I say he gets taken down submitted in under a minute simple!

Nega-Patio
09-17-2009, 08:57 AM
I shouldnt have said anything

JDM98Ferio
09-17-2009, 09:04 AM

lmao

irvin_lazo
09-17-2009, 09:43 AM
4oz gloves! I give a better chance to the MMA fighter staying in there longer in a boxing match due to defense! In MMA I say he gets taken down submitted in under a minute simple!

HA!...your nutts bro, as long as he can stop a take down he has a chance of staying in it. In a boxing match i see mma guy getting tired and finaly KTFO!
The reason I say that is because in mma they keep there arms wide open for getting tagged and in boxing thats a no no. We have alot of MMA guys training at our gym (boxing) and there stand up is just weird. They foot work is horrible and there hooks are garbage. They do 3min 3 rounds and we do 8, 3 min rounds...I jab the crap out of them all they. I like mma and its cool to watch but its real messy even when you see a decent stricker.

irvin_lazo
09-17-2009, 09:45 AM
ray mercer putting tim silvia in a seizure hahahahaha lmao!!!!!!!!!!

JDM98Ferio
09-17-2009, 09:56 AM
You cant compare ''MMA'' guys in your boxing gym to a good mma fighter they have every aspect of the game covered!

The same Ray Mercer who was submitted by KIMBO SLICE!!? :really?:
We all know Kimbo has slick submission skills! LMAO

irvin_lazo
09-17-2009, 10:22 AM
You cant compare ''MMA'' guys in your boxing gym to a good mma fighter they have every aspect of the game covered!

The same Ray Mercer who was submitted by KIMBO SLICE!!? :really?:
We all know Kimbo has slick submission skills! LMAO

hahahahahaha! Ray mercer thought they were gonna keep the fight standing so he didnt train for that. Not to mention the guy is 50..hahahahalmao!
The best fighters in MMA have always been the ones who know how to strick!
Some of the guys i train with come from METRO up there on 290..No i cant compare them to elite fighters but there good none the less. I slob on kimbos knobe cause im irwin lazo.

JDM98Ferio
09-17-2009, 10:25 AM
I slob on kimbos knobe cause im irwin lazo.

:confused:

KillaCam
09-17-2009, 01:48 PM
he still wouldnt stand a snowball's chance in hell...Faber probably hits just as hard if not harder than Mayweather...and I dont think Mayweather is used to gettin hit with MMA gloves, which are there as knuckle pads...

OOHHHhh boy. Here we go again, try training in both sports and actually get some experience before spewing this bird shit.

Happy
09-17-2009, 01:57 PM

i'm sure mayweather's hand speed would be off the charts. The problem is that we are arguing only one side of the story. That is if mayweather jumped into MMA he would get beat down, well lets put it the other way.

Mayweather would destroy any MMA fighter in boxing (Anderson Silva included).

irvin_lazo
09-17-2009, 02:17 PM
Its whatever...But I hate kimbo even though i would kiss him in the mouth...and im IRWIN lazo

TooCoo
09-18-2009, 11:15 AM
Very interesting interview...:stare:
yE_tsPatoBU

CivicR
09-18-2009, 11:23 AM
Floyd in MMA.......great joke, that made me laugh.

Nega-Patio
09-18-2009, 11:26 AM
Very interesting interview...:stare:
yE_tsPatoBU

I think he hit the nail on the head about Mayweather

lol @ skinhead white guys and homosexuals!!

Man, that's what you see though! Just go to Hooters or any place that's airing the UFC fights and that's what you see. Bros with Tapout shirts with tribal armbands watching two halfnaked guys rolling around on the floor hugging each other (well if you have 2 good grapplers that is). To the non-fan it is what it looks like, but to a fan you can tell when someones about to get tapped out in a hold.

He asked him for his opinion and he got it. Don't get your feelings hurt.

al
09-18-2009, 11:43 AM

ban!

I like UFC, but the card isn't going to satisfy me so I will watch Floyd Gaybrother. Is the winner slated to fight Pacquiao?

Nega-Patio
09-18-2009, 11:53 AM
ban!

I like UFC, but the card isn't going to satisfy me so I will watch Floyd Gaybrother. Is the winner slated to fight Pacquiao?

Suppozubbly

If Pacquiao beats Cotto that is, which is pretty much over before anyone mentioned it. These are really just warm up fights for Pacman vs MM, imo I think they're just trying to Milk the event for everything it's going to be worth.

I'd like to see Mayweather win against Pacquiao just to see how it's even possible, but what good what happen after that? Mayweather would probably retire again

SugarDaddy
09-18-2009, 11:54 AM
UFC all the way... even if it is a weak card...

Nega-Patio
09-18-2009, 11:57 AM
UFC all the way... even if it is a weak card...

it is a weak card, which is why I'd rather watch boxing this time around

andrews
09-18-2009, 12:18 PM
ill be watching mayweather vs marquez

CivicR
09-18-2009, 03:50 PM
UFC is what I'll be watching. I would like to see Mayweather get beat though, not enough of a boxing fan to waste the money. Well to get right down to it, I'm not a boxing fan at all. I would just like to see Mayweather get knocked out. I really can't stand him.

bushidoben
09-22-2009, 07:42 PM
saw both ufc and gayweather events simultaneously and the weak ufc card was 100x more entertaining than the borefest hbo fights.

ufc ftw!

Jo_Sinista
09-23-2009, 01:34 AM
There saying PBF and marquez squeezed out close to a million buys while franklin/belfort only got 400K..*OUCH*

Oh and the top of all that Dana white announced that he is doing the Randy/Vera the same night as Pacquiao/Cotto!!!. I love MMA with a passion but I don't think he can out buy the pacman or even come close to him when it comes to ppv buys and there is a good chance I will be watching the pacquiao/cotto fight. lol Sorry dana gotta show my support to my national hero!

CivicR
09-23-2009, 09:41 AM
I don't think MMA is ready to outsell boxing. I hate boxing, no use for it. There are however a lot of hard core long time boxing fans. Lots of old timers that still like boxing, it does not surprise me that boxing did better in PPV. Give it 5 more years. MMA > Boxing for me though.

CivicR
09-23-2009, 09:42 AM
Don't get me wrong though, boxing plays a role in MMA. You gotta have some stand up to do well in MMA. However, boxing alone is just not enough.

KillaCam
09-23-2009, 12:34 PM
There saying PBF and marquez squeezed out close to a million buys while franklin/belfort only got 400K..*OUCH*

Oh and the top of all that Dana white announced that he is doing the Randy/Vera the same night as Pacquiao/Cotto!!!. I love MMA with a passion but I don't think he can out buy the pacman or even come close to him when it comes to ppv buys and there is a good chance I will be watching the pacquiao/cotto fight. lol Sorry dana gotta show my support to my national hero!

You're surprised? The only reason sold that much is because of Dana blasting boxing and trying to hype the UFC > Boxing debate and he failed because seven he knows the biggest draw to MMA/UFC is Cock lesnar then GSP and Silva, after that, who really gives a shit on who's fighting?

Not surprised he's trying to pit Cotto/Pacman against the UFC again. There's no question that unless Brock isn't on the card, UFC isn't doing shit.

Boxing > MMA

Trae*
09-23-2009, 12:53 PM
You're surprised? The only reason sold that much is because of Dana blasting boxing and trying to hype the UFC > Boxing debate and he failed because seven he knows the biggest draw to MMA/UFC is Cock lesnar then GSP and Silva, after that, who really gives a shit on who's fighting?

Not surprised he's trying to pit Cotto/Pacman against the UFC again. There's no question that unless Brock isn't on the card, UFC isn't doing shit.

Boxing > MMA

first off those are rumored numbers , second ufc only sold that much because dana bashed boxing? lmfao

go watch your dying sport and shut up

seriously though tell us all again how bad ass kimbo is going to be in mma

CivicR
09-23-2009, 07:13 PM
Hmm, I am still looking for someone that can give me a complete explanation of why boxing is superior to mma from a fighters stand point. Well anyways, name one boxer in the same weight division of the UFC fighters you just named that could come close to making it through 3 rounds. There have been numerous MMA fighters that have challenged boxers to put up or shut up, and you tell me what always happens? Boxing is a part of MMA, I'm not saying you don't need boxing. You need to have stand up, but why box when you can box plus use elbows, knees, kicks, take downs, submissions? Think before you type.

KillaCam
09-23-2009, 07:59 PM
first off those are rumored numbers , second ufc only sold that much because dana bashed boxing? lmfao

go watch your dying sport and shut up

seriously though tell us all again how bad ass kimbo is going to be in mma

I would never, ever, ever, ever question your lack of common sense. I will bow out of this converation Mr. Trae.

Hmm, I am still looking for someone that can give me a complete explanation of why boxing is superior to mma from a fighters stand point. Well anyways, name one boxer in the same weight division of the UFC fighters you just named that could come close to making it through 3 rounds. There have been numerous MMA fighters that have challenged boxers to put up or shut up, and you tell me what always happens? Boxing is a part of MMA, I'm not saying you don't need boxing. You need to have stand up, but why box when you can box plus use elbows, knees, kicks, take downs, submissions? Think before you type.

Kermit Cintron told Dana white on ESPN and announced that he would fight the UFC's welter weight champion in the UFC for the same money offered to PBF and till this day, almost 2 yrs later, NOTHING.

Silva wants to box Roy Jones and dana won't let it happen, Roy has even stated he'll do MMA rules.....still................nothing.

Trae*
09-23-2009, 08:21 PM
I would never, ever, ever, ever question your lack of common sense. I will bow out of this converation Mr. Trae.

Kermit Cintron told Dana white on ESPN and announced that he would fight the UFC's welter weight champion in the UFC for the same money offered to PBF and till this day, almost 2 yrs later, NOTHING.

Silva wants to box Roy Jones and dana won't let it happen, Roy has even stated he'll do MMA rules.....still................nothing.

so cute that you cant defend anything you've said so you try and act like u are the one with common sense. bow out because you are stupid... you always make the comment "asinine statements" apparently you dont know what that means since its you that always does it. so please stop using smart words you dont have the brain power to understand the meaning of.

kimbo is gonna be an animal just give him time to train right?

CivicR
09-24-2009, 07:17 AM
How about Royce Gracie's challenge to Mike Tyson? How about the several fighters that have challenged PBF due to his comments? Gracie even offered to donate his portion of the pay out to the charity of Tyson's choice. The part of this you're missing is that MMA guys don't really talk shit about boxing. It's boxers talking down on MMA, but too scared to come fight. You can't just come in your first fight and get a title shot, especially if you are only a boxer and stand no chance. Earn your way. It should not all be about money. Migues Torres openly challenged PBF and stated he would box 3 rounds with him, then 3 rounds of kickboxing, then 3 rounds of MMA. I didn't ask for more excuses. I asked for an explanation of why boxing is better than MMA. Still nothing.

Kimbo COULD be badass if he would take time to train. He has KO power, needs more ground game.

TooCoo
09-24-2009, 09:43 AM
I honestly think that there is so much more entertainment value when you purchase an MMA PPV event...

It may be tru that mayweather v. marquez did a million PPV buys and UFC only did 400K but the thing is that between now and the time there is another prize fight comes together, the UFC might do another 6-10 events that will consistantly average close to 500K buys per event. You got machida vs. rua coming up...then lesnar vs. carwin and penn vs. sanchez in the works...before the end of the year.

To me Boxing has more of a stronghold on an older generation than UFC but thats mainly becuase the sport has been around for so long. MMA is still a young sport. but in another 10 years i see MMA gradually becoming the sport that boxing was in its prime before the promotors and all that made it politics...