PDA

View Full Version : question, has anyone tried the HIIT cardio work out?

kr33p
08-24-2009, 11:24 AM
Im wanting to try this, see if i get any results from it, but wondering if anyone off here have tried it and if they have noticed results.

its said by the 8th week term you should see/feel better about yourself.

well. today i shall start week 1. weighing it just around 235 at 5'10 with who knows how much body fat.

maybe i can see when i go to the gym.

rodneeking
08-24-2009, 11:42 AM
It works, it's exhausting but it works. If you weight lift, definately save this for after lifting.

TheSnowMan
08-24-2009, 11:51 AM
HIIT > regular cardio

merked
08-24-2009, 12:00 PM
It works, it's exhausting but it works. If you weight lift, definately save this for after lifting.

i agree

ryk
08-24-2009, 12:16 PM

QFT

I did it after a bulking phase and shed a shit load of lbs. Shits bad ass cuz you burn more fat then tedious/regular cardio while at the same time you maintain any muscle mass.

This was my last HIIT routine (short sprints on a bike)
3 minues of warmup
12 seconds of fast pedal
18 seconds of slow pedal
12 secs of fast pedal
18 secs of slow pedal
12 secs of fast pedal
and repeat until the timer counts down to 10 minutes and then a slow pedal for a couple of minutes. (by fast, I mean as fast as you can pedal/run/elliptical without falling off)

Just be sure to get your post workout carbs or you'll pay the price later.

KillaCam
08-24-2009, 12:53 PM
Search.

kr33p
08-24-2009, 12:57 PM
i was planning on trying this on a tread, and comparing it to the track, so we'll see what happens.

going to try the table 1, week 1. 4 minutes, 30 seconds jog and 30 seconds sprint...so and and so forth.

IM EXCITED TO TRY IT, so we'll see!

TheSnowMan
08-24-2009, 01:20 PM
That is the way I did HIIT, 30 sec slow, 30 sec fast, repeat. Only I wouldn't recommend doing it on the tread. By the time you get it up/down to the right speed your 30 seconds is up. I found the bike or elliptical to be the best.

Deluxe Son
08-24-2009, 02:34 PM
try doing it on an incline, its exhausting!!

kr33p
08-24-2009, 04:00 PM
That is the way I did HIIT, 30 sec slow, 30 sec fast, repeat. Only I wouldn't recommend doing it on the tread. By the time you get it up/down to the right speed your 30 seconds is up. I found the bike or elliptical to be the best.

yea, noticed that 10 seconds in my jog was almost over and i was still walking lol. so i gave it a 7 second window for each deal so everything could get to where it needed be.

tomorrow ima try it on the track and see how that feels.

rodneeking
08-25-2009, 08:40 AM
Running on the ground is more exhausting since you're actually propelling yourself as opposed to the treadmill assisting you. After a while you're legs start to feel like jello.

the days expire
08-25-2009, 10:41 AM
QFT

I did it after a bulking phase and shed a shit load of lbs. Shits bad ass cuz you burn more fat then tedious/regular cardio while at the same time you maintain any muscle mass.

This was my last HIIT routine (short sprints on a bike)
3 minues of warmup
12 seconds of fast pedal
18 seconds of slow pedal
12 secs of fast pedal
18 secs of slow pedal
12 secs of fast pedal
and repeat until the timer counts down to 10 minutes and then a slow pedal for a couple of minutes. (by fast, I mean as fast as you can pedal/run/elliptical without falling off)

Just be sure to get your post workout carbs or you'll pay the price later.

That's pretty much my HIIT on a bike, except I do 15 second fast, 30 second slow. God, I love the bike sooo much more than the treadmill, I can't stand that thing!

TLontheDL
08-25-2009, 09:54 PM
sometimes when I lift heavy and have 30 sec - 1 min of rest btw my sets, I get so exhausted to do any hiit. I'll just do steady state cardio for 15 min after lifting but thats when I have to DRAG myself. I get all out of breath and the end of lifting with short rest period btw my sets. am i the only one?

ryk
08-26-2009, 06:58 AM
Running on the ground is more exhausting since you're actually propelling yourself as opposed to the treadmill assisting you. After a while you're legs start to feel like jello.
That's because you don't have the assistance of the motor to propell you. Plus you're hitting the ground hard (as compared to a shock having treadmill). You also run alooooott further on a tread then a track. I'd say for the bodys sake.. a treadmill is better. but for cardio benefits sake, outdoors is best. I'm an avid runner so I'm biased to the track, but my body will tell you it likes the treadmill.

That's pretty much my HIIT on a bike, except I do 15 second fast, 30 second slow. God, I love the bike sooo much more than the treadmill, I can't stand that thing!

Yeah, a bike and elliptical are waaaayyy better then a treadmill.

Sepultura
08-26-2009, 10:15 AM

i wouldnt do HIIT for weight lifters as it will be a leading factor in robbing you from mass. Standard cardio 3x a week should be sufficient. Unless the lifter is going on a cut, would be the reason for HIIT. just my .02

rodneeking
08-26-2009, 10:57 AM
i wouldnt do HIIT for weight lifters as it will be a leading factor in robbing you from mass. Standard cardio 3x a week should be sufficient. Unless the lifter is going on a cut, would be the reason for HIIT. just my .02

+1 That's what I was more referring to. Most people that do HIIT are either trying to lose weight or are doing it for training purposes that require intensity for short durations. All in all it just depends on your overall goals.

TLontheDL
08-26-2009, 11:15 AM
i thought hiit assist in maintaining mass while loosing body fat?

DUBGURL19
08-26-2009, 11:43 AM
i thought hiit assist in maintaining mass while loosing body fat?

Well think about this way high intensity cardio gets your heart rate reved up your burn more calories, no matter what when you are losing weight or leaning you are going to lose some muscle

but high intensity cardio is going to speed that up faster than low intensity...

So for me I need to keep as much muscle as possible so I have to preform low intesity cardio because if I did HIIT and my diet I would lose weight and muscle too fast...

it is really which is more important and your goal, it is almost impossible to lose all your fat without some of the muscle going with it.

J Stuff
08-26-2009, 11:48 AM

hell i find running on the ground easier than a treadmill

rodneeking
08-26-2009, 12:44 PM

I guess it just depends on what you’re used to running on more. I prefer running outside.

carbon-14
08-26-2009, 11:01 PM

+1!!!

i've ran on the tread mill off and on for the last 3 years, i just started running outdoors and i love the outdoors a whole lot more! and my knees arent no where near as sore as they were when i ran on the tread mill. Its harder to run longer distances on a track/outdoors but less hurtfull on my body/knees!!