PDA

View Full Version : starting to exercise again

Bomb0314
08-13-2009, 10:52 PM
well i havent done much exercising/working out since high school when i was in swiming and water polo....

New semester is starting soon and I am going to start exercising again, then gonna try starting some muscle building. My plan is to go to the UH rec at 6am and do cardio for about 1hr. I live in the med center so going to the rec at 6am isnt too far and i can come back to my apt to change/eat/get ready then goto class.
Trying to loose some of this extra weight/fat first, then start up some muscle building.... specially loose fat in the mid section...

Is it bad to do cardio on a empty somatic right after waking up? Should i drink a protein drink before or after cardio? any tips? Thanks!

TheSnowMan
08-13-2009, 11:06 PM
people debate all the time the best time to do cardio, and if it should be done on an empty stomach or not. No real answer has came out of that so the most important thing is that you are doing cardio. As for the protein shake I would hold off until later in the day and just use it as a snack/meal replacement. You don't want to replace breakfast though.

Also make sure you only stick to one goal at a time either lose weight or gain muscle. You won't be able to do both at the same time.

Bomb0314
08-13-2009, 11:14 PM
^^^ yeah did some reading and one thing that was stressed the most was stick to one goal at a time... and for me thats gonna be losing weight.

koolaider
08-13-2009, 11:41 PM
can't really concentrate to lose fat on your belly, you lose fat overall, but for some reason it seems like the stomach is the lost fat to go :hsrun:

TheSnowMan
08-14-2009, 12:20 AM
Yeah there is no such thing as spot reduction. So a million ab crunchs arn't going to drop your belly weight any faster

merked
08-14-2009, 01:36 AM
70% diet, 30% work out. seriously...you won't lose much fat if you don't eat healthy

oki_boy
08-14-2009, 02:17 AM
i do empty stomach cardio all the time.... actually, i cant work out within 3-4 hours of eating or ill throw up.

TheSnowMan
08-14-2009, 06:45 AM
70% diet, 30% work out. seriously...you won't lose much fat if you don't eat healthy

and I would almost venture to say that number is more 80% diet, 20% workout.

Eating clean is the hardest and most important part of fat loss.

I am right there with you and had to make the decision to lose fat or to gain muscle first. I chose to gain muscle first since with added muscle it will be easier to lose fat and when losing fat I will be able to retain more muscle.

Good luck

Bomb0314
08-14-2009, 07:07 AM
80% diet, 20% workout... when you say workput... do you mean actually working out, or exercising (ie. running, swimming, cardio..)

any advice on diet?

Hyper
08-14-2009, 07:15 AM
Also make sure you only stick to one goal at a time either lose weight or gain muscle. You won't be able to do both at the same time.

I dont see why one couldn't do both. Good clean diet, cardio to lose bf and hit the weights hard to build muscle. Good Luck Bomb, Keep us posted. Lot of people here know what they're talking about.

ChuyiN
08-14-2009, 07:43 AM
I dont see why one couldn't do both. Good clean diet, cardio to lose bf and hit the weights hard to build muscle. Good Luck Bomb, Keep us posted. Lot of people here know what they're talking about.

yeah thats what i do and so far so good, but drinking on the weekends is a no no for me, but i still do it. :facepalm:

luckythirteen05
08-14-2009, 08:55 AM

i was thinking the same thing. i actually do more weights and have been losing weight from it.

TheSnowMan
08-14-2009, 11:30 AM
Well let me rephrase you will not have big fat loss and big muscle gains at the same time. To gain muscle you need a calorie surplus as opposed to a calorie defecit for fat loss. Now this assumes you are doing this the natural way without drugs. This is why people usually choose to cut in the summer and bulk in the winter.

Bloodwings19
08-15-2009, 05:55 AM

Time magazine had a fantastic article on it. One guy didn't know why he and his group wasn't losing weight after running every other day for 1 hour. The group later said that after each morning run, they go to Starbucks.

merked
08-15-2009, 08:27 AM
Time magazine had a fantastic article on it. One guy didn't know why he and his group wasn't losing weight after running every other day for 1 hour. The group later said that after each morning run, they go to Starbucks.

yeah, i noticed a lot of people don't realize how much they eat. I've been keeping a log of my daily caloric intake for the last five months. I like to keep track of my macros and make sure i'm getting plenty of protein