PDA

View Full Version : daily driver suspension replacement / upgrade

reallywildstuff
08-09-2009, 12:52 PM
225k mile '96 Civic DX has what are prob original springs and struts and they are done for - terrible ride quality over Houston streets

recently replaced all engine/trans mounts and that really isolated the failing struts' shortcomings - upgraded 15" GSR wheels are banging into the underside of the fenderwell liners / front fenders when going over potholes/ bumps

others mods to this car besides wheels incl. Y8 exhaust w/ Si tip (replaced stock cracked Y7 integrated header/cat), Si wing (replaced non-functional LX-style wing)...when components fail we I like to replace the DX-stock item with an upgraded / better part

would eventually like to do a mini-me and also put 98-2000 front clip on this car - but it's still got to be super reliable non-riced out transportation for its primary driver in between upgrades

my preferred mechanic has quoted replacing four struts, two front mounts, and four wheel alignment for $1000 out the door. Of this $1k, $567.63 is in parts - 2 front struts, 2 front mounts, and 2 rear struts. he would be re-using the springs

i'd like to know if i can get a better "quick-strut" or "coil-over" aftermarket suspension system for the same (or even slightly more) than the $570 in parts that i'd be paying to have 15 year-old springs re-installed with new struts and mounts

i don't even really know what parts to look at - i definitely don't want anything "slammed" or anything that's going to require any additional modifications to work properly

TIA -

Mr. Stuff

2K civic
08-09-2009, 01:00 PM
$1k, damn what a rip off

reallywildstuff
08-09-2009, 01:11 PM
$1k, damn what a rip off

what does that mean exactly ? do you think that's too much for the parts ($570) or the labor ($385) ?

chewwie
08-09-2009, 10:25 PM
what does that mean exactly ? do you think that's too much for the parts ($570) or the labor ($385) ?

u got pm for a better mechanic

5w20
08-10-2009, 03:58 PM
225k mile '96 Civic DX has what are prob original springs and struts and they are done for - terrible ride quality over Houston streets

recently replaced all engine/trans mounts and that really isolated the failing struts' shortcomings - upgraded 15" GSR wheels are banging into the underside of the fenderwell liners / front fenders when going over potholes/ bumps

others mods to this car besides wheels incl. Y8 exhaust w/ Si tip (replaced stock cracked Y7 integrated header/cat), Si wing (replaced non-functional LX-style wing)...when components fail we I like to replace the DX-stock item with an upgraded / better part

would eventually like to do a mini-me and also put 98-2000 front clip on this car - but it's still got to be super reliable non-riced out transportation for its primary driver in between upgrades

my preferred mechanic has quoted replacing four struts, two front mounts, and four wheel alignment for $1000 out the door. Of this $1k, $567.63 is in parts - 2 front struts, 2 front mounts, and 2 rear struts. he would be re-using the springs
i'd like to know if i can get a better "quick-strut" or "coil-over" aftermarket suspension system for the same (or even slightly more) than the $570 in parts that i'd be paying to have 15 year-old springs re-installed with new struts and mounts

i don't even really know what parts to look at - i definitely don't want anything "slammed" or anything that's going to require any additional modifications to work properly

TIA -

Mr. Stuff

you can hire me all day if you want those type of "deals"

boost_lee
08-10-2009, 05:26 PM
wow, waay over price. Typical performance shops only charge $20-30 a shock replacement if you supply the suspension! And $40-60 for a good alignment. By front mounts, you mean engine mounts right? If so, Autozone carrys the driver upper mount for under $60!!! And its easy as shit to replace.

tell your mechanic to suck some mule dick juice!!!!

2K civic
08-10-2009, 06:29 PM

I think its too much for both, 570 in parts, when you could just buy it from vatozone for 300, maybe 350 tops(except if he is replacing with oem parts, parts from the dealer). Labor, its about 40/hr, so 1hr ea strut and 30min ea mount its $200 tops. so the main thing i would recommend replacing is your mechanic.

So basically i would do it for half the price.

oh and 60 for the alignment

5w20
08-10-2009, 09:44 PM
Before you go spending money on a 225k mile vehicle you should check if the engine and trans are still in good conditon. With an engine with that many miles a leak down or compression test is in order and check if that timing belt has been replaced. Check the trans fluid if its an auto.

Just saying so you won't spend money for a car that's about to give out.

NoisyCricket
08-11-2009, 02:00 PM
That sounds like a typical price for a large shop.
And it is too much but people will pay it.

What most people don't realize is that shops charge "book" hours and SELL you the parts.

Mechanic X will look in professional repair manual and it will say something like labor rate 2.5 hours (can't currently remember where these numbers come from but something like what able bodied person with hand tools and moderate knowledge will take) but actually it only takes 1 hour to complete hence the book hours.
Mechanic X will go to either the dealer OR parts house or local O'reilly, Vatozone, Advanced, Napa, Carquest etc and get the parts at they price and sell it to U at list or even higher price. Typically shops mark up parks 20-30% over cost.

It really really sucks but thats what they got to do to make a profit and eventually expand and get better facilities, tools etc.
Business isn't about breaking even.

So with that said you could definitely get it cheaper elsewhere depending on where the parts are purchased and how much labor is per hour.
You could definitely get a better deal or higher end parts for the same cost and do it yourself. You can "rent" a spring compressor from O'reilly or Autozone for like $35-50 deposit and once U return it you get your money back. The rest is just hand tools and lots and lots of penetrating oil especially seeing as that is OE stuff on the car and one full day (doesn't take that long if your not new to it).

chewwie
08-12-2009, 08:17 PM
you know what they say if u find people to do it cheaper they will most likely fuck it up.

5w20
08-13-2009, 12:10 AM
Pm bagged I hear he does great work :o

reallywildstuff
08-13-2009, 08:25 AM
That sounds like a typical price for a large shop.
And it is too much but people will pay it.

it is a larger shop, in the RiverOaks area - down the street from my house, super convenient, super reliable, brand-name
the book is 3 hours for the front and 3 for the back

i have lots of personal experience rebuilding/modding GM V8/RWD cars, including suspension rebuilds, and have no doubt that me and the Honda CSM could do this job for NO MONEY - but I presently have no garage space and no free time, also i don't work on my or mine's daily drivers anymore - only project cars that don't HAVE TO drive on Monday

i wasn't really asking about whether my mechanic needed to "suck mule dick juice" - stay classy boost_lee

bringing it all back home now - what PARTS do you think I should purchase to solve my ride-quality problem?

for example, the used spring and shock setup linked below should (i think) work for my 96 EK coupe but i'm not thrilled about buying used suspension parts and also suspect adjustable shocks are overkill for this app

also have no frame of reference re: what 1.25" drop looks like nor whether other mods are required to support drop (like camber plates)

http://www.houston-imports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484815&highlight=springs

http://www.houston-imports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484818&highlight=springs

Also specifically unsure about re-using stock springs in any higher-performance app - if i pick any kind of strut that's got better specs than OEM should i also replace springs?

chewwie
08-13-2009, 11:46 AM
how low u want to go??
because that H&R oem drop spring barely drop the car,as for the agx adjustable u can get them new for 3bills on ebay.

YesSiR
08-18-2009, 08:54 PM
eibach pro-kit + KYB AGX shocks, and call it a day.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EIBACH-PRO-KIT-LOWERING-SPRINGS-96-00-HONDA-CIVIC-EK_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhas hZitem5ad25cac40QQitemZ390076345408QQptZMotorsQ5fC arQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KYB-4-AGX-SHOCKS-HONDA-CIVIC-96-97-98-99-00_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhas hZitem4836c8ce4fQQitemZ310156774991QQptZMotorsQ5fC arQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

with the pro kit i don't believe you'll need a camber kit since the ride height change isn't drastic (1.5in at the most) and it has a similar spring design to the oem springs (progressive) and should maintain a oem like ride comfort with a little added performance, and the AGX shocks should aid in increasing performance a bit more if wanted (4 way adjustable IIRC). great shocks for the price. 618 to your door for both. i've used Sportline springs from Eibach and they were amazing, a bit more aggressive and lower but still not unreasonable. and the pro-kits are even more reserved than my sportline's were. my only other suggestion would be the Tein basic coilover kit, mild starter kit with good quality and adjustable ride height just not dampening. but since it's a daily that shouldn't be a huge issue for you.

anything past 1.5in will require a camber kit and that's when the savings go out the window so if you do get a spring kit get one that's no lower then that. but if you don't mind the extra 200 or so dollars for a front camber kit grab the skunk2 or ingalls kit (skunk2's are a bit more user friendly and easier to adjust since it kills 2 birds with one stone by replacing the OEM upper control arm (which also may need to be replaced especially with 225k on the clock for those bushings...)

JMPJack
08-19-2009, 12:01 PM
^^ Great choice

or

Tokico Blues/Eibach = budget
Koni Yellows/ Ground Control = best option

silvercivicsrs
08-19-2009, 01:20 PM
took a suspension and steering course with a guy named Eddie Wallace back in Austin way back in the day... awesome prof and hardcore racer. he road on all sorts of suspensions that you could think of and he always recommended Eibach.