PDA

View Full Version : Changing your eating habits..

Prelude92
08-04-2009, 12:16 PM
I wonder about this as part of starting a workout routine.

I know that going with a exercise routine helps lose weight as well as tone your body. With that being said, I believe it is also just as important to know what you eat as well as how much.

The way I eat right now is very astounding. I stuff my face with as much food as I can fit at that time and don't chow down til my stomach tells me it's time again. I thank my metabolism and my way of life for keeping me slim in a way.

If I were to start a diet where I selectively eat items and the portions are MUCH smaller, wouldn't i feel shitty and all cause the change is too drastic?

TylerDurden
08-04-2009, 12:31 PM
My protein shakes tend to make me not want to eat at all. I usually eat something small in between shakes, but its usually forced.

rodneeking
08-04-2009, 12:39 PM
I used to actually eat like you do, but I just went ahead and changed my eating habits out of nowhere. At first it was kind of a shock to my body but I've done it before and I kind of knew what to expect already. I didn't only change my portions and how often but I changed to a pretty clean diet food wise too. It's just something you'll get used to.

catharsis
08-04-2009, 12:50 PM
^ im the same.

to the OP, diet to me is the hardest part of becoming healthier. i LOVE food. i literally LIVED and looked forward for and to eat food. i stumbled across a quote on the bodybuilding forum that said LIVE TO EAT, NOT EAT TO LIVE. i tried to adopt that as part of my lifestyle and im proud to say that i am on Day 6 without cheating once so far.

ive spoken to some great people here on H-I who have offered advice and encouragement and surrounded myself with friends, family, and a gf who motivate me to be better.

all of those things coupled with the fact that i look forward to fitting into my old jeans and being able to go to a store and grab any style i want without worrying if they'll have my waist size makes me strive to just get rid of the fat.

just 50 mins. ago i had a can of tuna in water with 1 whole grain wheat tortilla. i wont eat again until 7 which the food wont be any tastier but i'll have some protein shakes in between my workout to keep me going.

just have to get your mind right. it's hard but nothing worthwhile comes easy :(

rodneeking
08-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Oh yeah i forgot, how you feel depends really on what your goals are and what kind of diet you decide to go on.

Catharsis, did you check out a link that merked had on the other thread? About transformations? This thread has been a big motivating factor for me.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=108359701&page=23

So many different ones, some are pretty crazy.

alf
08-04-2009, 01:28 PM
ive started eating my hamburger meats with cheese every few hours, sometimes hotdogs stuffed with cheese or grilled chicken w/ garlic.

shrimp sometimes.

ahi tuna & mahi mahi.

i just started eating right today, and i fckn love it.

just no carbs.

TheSnowMan
08-04-2009, 01:41 PM
^ im the same.

to the OP, diet to me is the hardest part of becoming healthier. i LOVE food. i literally LIVED and looked forward for and to eat food. i stumbled across a quote on the bodybuilding forum that said LIVE TO EAT, NOT EAT TO LIVE. i tried to adopt that as part of my lifestyle and im proud to say that i am on Day 6 without cheating once so far.

ive spoken to some great people here on H-I who have offered advice and encouragement and surrounded myself with friends, family, and a gf who motivate me to be better.

all of those things coupled with the fact that i look forward to fitting into my old jeans and being able to go to a store and grab any style i want without worrying if they'll have my waist size makes me strive to just get rid of the fat.

just 50 mins. ago i had a can of tuna in water with 1 whole grain wheat tortilla. i wont eat again until 7 which the food wont be any tastier but i'll have some protein shakes in between my workout to keep me going.

just have to get your mind right. it's hard but nothing worthwhile comes easy :(

lol, I think you got that quote backwards, should be EAT TO LIVE, NOT LIVE TO EAT

catharsis
08-04-2009, 02:24 PM
lol, I think you got that quote backwards, should be EAT TO LIVE, NOT LIVE TO EAT

OOPS! typo sorry!! :( :rofl: :rofl:

maybe it's my subconscious begging me to go back to eating the greasy stuff! hahaha.

thanks for the correction snowman. :thumb:

catharsis
08-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Oh yeah i forgot, how you feel depends really on what your goals are and what kind of diet you decide to go on.

Catharsis, did you check out a link that merked had on the other thread? About transformations? This thread has been a big motivating factor for me.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=108359701&page=23

So many different ones, some are pretty crazy.

cr, thanks for posting that back up and seeing if i knew about it. ive been following that thread for about a year or so now but yes it's a GREAT tool to use to keep yourself motivated.

i think more than anything the biggest thing i got from that thread being a noob to fitness and nutrition is that it IS possible and that the people you see on tv or elsewhere didnt get like that by just having good genes. we all start from somewhere so it was nice to see 'real live people' going through the process and seeing real results.

htownfister
08-04-2009, 04:18 PM
Alex i used to be the same like you!!! The ways our mom's cook!! I used to eat so much!!
when im home its hard to eat small portions but i know i have too in order to keep my weight and physique in check.....
right now i just started a new diet... 6 meals a day
3 shakes
1 peanut butter sandwhich
1 can of tuna
dinner, whatever they have...

so far so good, the hard part is sticking with it..

by the way tell your mom im coming over next mom to eat some of her GREAT FOOD and salsa!!!!

rodneeking
08-05-2009, 08:27 AM
Alex i used to be the same like you!!! The ways our mom's cook!! I used to eat so much!!
when im home its hard to eat small portions but i know i have too in order to keep my weight and physique in check.....
right now i just started a new diet... 6 meals a day
3 shakes
1 peanut butter sandwhich
1 can of tuna
dinner, whatever they have...

so far so good, the hard part is sticking with it..

by the way tell your mom im coming over next mom to eat some of her GREAT FOOD and salsa!!!!

My eating routine is the same way, I eat 6 times a day but I'm hungry every couple of hours. Your metabolism seriously kicks in when you do this. The hardest part about doing it is if you don't have a set routine... for me it's on the weekeneds since I don't plan stuff.

Prelude92
08-05-2009, 10:07 AM
Gathering from what you guys posted is pretty much all narrowing down to determination. I don't eat bad food as often as many my age. I'm very religious to beans, rice, chicken, and tortillas (corn). Rarely do i ever drink cokes. I'd rather drink kool-aid or iced tea (non-sugar)

Now, I know Im barely @ the tip of the iceberg with this thread but, If I were to add some protein shakes here and there would that reduce the amount of food that I eat?

Miguel, hurry and come back! :p ill have some frijoles charros w/ pico de gallo and some nice fajitas 4 u :)

catharsis
08-05-2009, 10:17 AM
im sure some of our fitness experts can help you more than i can and i dont know the specifics so i dont want to mislead you but i take ON Whey and Casein protein shakes and they fill me up pretty good.

TheSnowMan
08-05-2009, 03:35 PM
When you are trying to change your body (lose weight), 80% is diet, 20% is exercise.

You want to eat 6 times a day, every 3 hours the same times every day. If you add in protein shakes they take the place of a meal. Keep breakfast, lunch, and dinner and then take some protein shakes in between.

So you go:
Breakfast (7am)
Snack (10am)
Lunch (1pm)
Protein Shake (4pm)
Dinner (7pm)
Protein Shake (10pm)

If you are trying to cut down you need to reduce your carbs (rice, tortillas) and only keep carbs for after the workout

tenguin
08-06-2009, 05:13 AM
so what are some good protein shakes? i want to slim down, dont care about weight cuz i know you will turn some of it into muscle.

also, someone recommended taking orange triad vitamins. anyone want to chime in on this?

DUBGURL19
08-06-2009, 06:14 AM
cr, thanks for posting that back up and seeing if i knew about it. ive been following that thread for about a year or so now but yes it's a GREAT tool to use to keep yourself motivated.

i think more than anything the biggest thing i got from that thread being a noob to fitness and nutrition is that it IS possible and that the people you see on tv or elsewhere didnt get like that by just having good genes. we all start from somewhere so it was nice to see 'real live people' going through the process and seeing real results.

It is so easy to say oh people look like that because they have good genes... It is a cop out for not working as hard as you should.

We have to be accountable for our own actions and know that if we fail it is us that failed ourselves, nobody else made us fail.

DUBGURL19
08-06-2009, 06:16 AM
so what are some good protein shakes? i want to slim down, dont care about weight cuz i know you will turn some of it into muscle.

also, someone recommended taking orange triad vitamins. anyone want to chime in on this?

No so much about what but what kind, get whey and pure whey try to stay away from concetrate, cheap products have cheap ingredients like J always says.

Your diet all depends on your goals. You can want to lose, gain, bulk, lean or anything in between.

Each one has a different eating pattern.

TheSnowMan
08-06-2009, 06:54 AM
No so much about what but what kind, get whey and pure whey try to stay away from concetrate, cheap products have cheap ingredients like J always says.

Your diet all depends on your goals. You can want to lose, gain, bulk, lean or anything in between.

Each one has a different eating pattern.

Right! Try to find a good Whey that mixes well in water and has a taste you can stand. I prefer ON Whey myself. Hard to find one that taste decent in water, the tropical punch taste best in water IMHO. Next whey I am going to try is the SYNTRAX Nectar since H-I seems to give it good reviews.

Definitely plot out a goal that way you have something to aim for and know what to plan for. Don't try to mix goals like gain muscle and cut. While you can achieve both the path is a hard and complicated one. It is best to stick to one at a time.

Prelude92
08-08-2009, 03:08 PM
well im a 160-165ish @ 5'11". therefore i dont have much fat. i am wanting to get a start on sculpting/build muscle around my chest and abdominal area. I thought of this thread cause of my eating habits and i was wondering if it would affect the goal i have set for myself.